Foams Prepared from Whey Protein Isolate and Egg White Protein: 1. Physical, Microstructural, and Interfacial Properties
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2009
© 2009 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 5, pages E259–E268, June/July 2009
How to Cite
Yang, X., Berry, T. K. and Foegeding, E. A. (2009), Foams Prepared from Whey Protein Isolate and Egg White Protein: 1. Physical, Microstructural, and Interfacial Properties. Journal of Food Science, 74: E259–E268. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01179.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2009
- MS 20080651 Submitted 7/28/2008, Accepted 3/22/2009
- 2008. Role of static and dynamic characteristics of diglycerol esters and β-lactoglobulin mixed films on foaming. 2: adsorption and foaming. Food Hydrocolloids 22:1298–309. , , , .
- 2002. Influence of whey protein concentrate on the functionality of egg white and bovine serum albumin. Int J Food Sci Technol 37:643–52. , , .
- 1989. An introduction to rheology. Amsterdam :Elsevier. 199 p. , , .
- 1999. Creation and characterization of aerated food products. Trends Food Sci Technol 10:283–96. , .
- 2005. Protein stabilization of emulsions and foams. J Food Sci 70:R54–66. .
- 2004. Foaming and interfacial properties of polymerized whey protein isolate. J Food Sci 69:C404–10. , .
- 2007. Comparisons of the foaming and interfacial properties of whey protein isolate and egg white proteins. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 54:200–10. , .
- 2004. Electrostatic effects on the yield stress of whey protein isolate foams. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 34:13–23. , , .
- 2005. Foaming and interfacial properties of hydrolyzed β-lactoglobulin. J Colloid Interface Sci 288:412–22. , , .
- 1974. Properties of whey protein concentrate foams. Food Technol 28(3):40–2, 44, 46, 48. , , , .
- 1992. An introduction to food colloids. Oxford : Oxford Univ. Press. p 127, 135. .
- 1999. Review: adsorbed protein layers at fluid interfaces: interactions, structure and surface rheology. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 15:161–76. .
- 2002. Kinetics of disproportionation of air bubble beneath a planar air–water interface stabilized by food proteins. J Colloid Interface Sci 252:202–13. , , , .
- 2003. Variation of bubble size distribution in a protein foam fractionation column measured using a capillary probe with photoelectric sensors. J Colloid Interface Sci 259:180–5. , , .
- 1985. Direct yield stress measurement with the vane method. J Rheol 29:335–47. , .
- 2006. Factors determining the physical properties of protein foams. Food Hydrocolloids 20:284–92. , , .
- 2003. Effect of polydextrose-substitution on the cell structure of the high-ratio cake system. Lebensm Wiss U Technol 36:441–50. , , , .
- 1981. Egg albumen proteins interactions in an angel food cake system. J Food Sci 46:1231–36. , .
- 2007. Bubble and pore formation of the high-ratio cake formulation with polydextrose as a sugar- and fat-replacer. J Food Eng 78:953–64. , , , .
- 2005. Instability and structural change in an aerated system containing egg albumen and invert sugar. Food Hydrocolloids 19:111–21. , .
- 2002. Factors determining yield stress and overrun of whey protein foams. J Food Sci 67:1677–81. , , .
- 1999. New fundamental concepts in emulsion rheology. Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci 4:231–8. .
- 2007. Stabilization of bubbles and foams. Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci 12:232–41. .
- 1998. Surface elasticity and viscosity from oscillating bubbles measured by automatic axisymmetric drop shape analysis. J Colloid Interface Sci 207:97–105. , .
- 2000. Measurement of the yield stress of protein foams by vane rheometry. J Food Sci 65:110–4. , , .
- 2002. Properties of whey and egg white protein foams. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 204:9–21. , , , .
- 1930. Normal and modified foaming properties of whey-protein and egg-albumin solutions. Ind Eng Chem 22:1124–8. .
- 1987. A method for the measurement of foam formation and stability. J Food Sci 52:1074–7. , , .
- 1990. Standardized procedure for measuring foaming properties of three proteins, a collaborative study. J Food Sci 55:1441–4, 53. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Rheology of foams and highly concentrated emulsions. 4. An experimental study of the shear viscosity and yield stress of concentrated emulsions. J Colloid Interface Sci 128:176–87. , .
- 1996. Foaming, foam films, antifoaming and defoaming. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 64:67–142. .
- 2007. Effects of sucrose and sodium chloride on foaming properties of egg white proteins. Food Res Int 40:347–55. , , .
- 2004. Rheology of mixed β-casein/β-lactoglobulin films at the air–water interface. J Agric Food Chem 52:3930–7. , , .
- 2008. Implications of interfacial characteristics of food foaming agents in foam formulations. Adv Coll Interface Sci 140:95–113. , , .
- 2008. Effect of sucrose on functional properties of soy globulins: adsorption and foam characterisitics. J Agric Food Chem 56:2512–21. , , .
- 1992. Rheological methods in food process engineering. 2nd ed. East Lansing , Mich. : Freeman Press. 418 p. .
- 2003. Physical chemistry of foods. New York : Marcel Dekker. 538 p. .
- 2006. Model for Plateau border drainage of power-law fluid with mobile interface and its application to foam drainage. J Colloid Interface Sci 300:327–37. , .
- 2000. Interfaces: their role in foam and emulsion behavior. Curr Opin Colloid Interfaces Sci 5:176–81. .