Enhancing Safety and Aroma Appealing of Fresh-Cut Fruits and Vegetables Using the Antimicrobial and Aromatic Power of Essential Oils
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2009
© 2009 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 7, pages R84–R91, September 2009
How to Cite
Ayala-Zavala, J. F., González-Aguilar, . G. A. and Del-Toro-Sánchez, L. (2009), Enhancing Safety and Aroma Appealing of Fresh-Cut Fruits and Vegetables Using the Antimicrobial and Aromatic Power of Essential Oils. Journal of Food Science, 74: R84–R91. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01294.x
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2009
- MS 20090245 Submitted 3/18/2009, Accepted 6/15/2009.
- 2002. Antimicrobial activity profiles of the two enantiomers of limonene and carvone isolated from the oils of Mentha spicata and Anethum sowa. Flavour Frag J 17:59–63. , , , , , .
- 1988. Inhibitory effects of selected Turkish spices and oregano components on some foodborne fungi. Int J Food Microbiol 6:263–8. , .
- 2004. Oregano: properties, composition and biological activity. Arch Latinoam Nutr 54:100–11. , , , .
- 2007. Improved strategies for keeping overall quality of fresh-cut produce. Acta Hort (ISHS) 746:245–58. , , , , .
- 2008a. High relative humidity in-package of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables: advantage or disadvantage considering microbiological problems and antimicrobial delivering systems? J Food Sci 73:R41–R7. , , , .
- 2008b. Bio-preservation of fresh-cut tomatoes using natural antimicrobials. Eur Food Res Technol 226:1047–55. , , , , , .
- 2008c. Microencapsulation of cinnamon leaf (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) and garlic (Allium sativum) oils in β-cyclodextrin. J Incl Phenom Macro 60:359–68. , , , , , .
- 2005. Sensory and instrumental evaluation of sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana L.) aroma. Flavour Frag J 20:492–500. , , .
- 2006. Properties of oregano (Origanum vulgare L.), citronella (Cymbopogon nardus G.) and marjoram (Majorana hortensis L.) flavors encapsulated into milk protein-based matrices. Food Res Int 39:413–25. , , , .
- 2003. Volatile and quality changes in fresh-cut mangos prepared from firm-ripe and soft-ripe fruit, stored in clamshell containers and passive MAP. Postharvest Biol Technol 30:15–28. , .
- 2007. Correlating volatile compounds, sensory attributes, and quality parameters in stored fresh-cut cantaloupe. J Agric Food Chem 55:9503–13. , .
- 2004. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil extracts of various onions (Allium cepa) and garlic (Allium sativum). Lebensm Wiss Technol 37:263–8.
- 2007. Flavours and fragrances, chemistry, bioprocessing and sustainability Berlin: Springer. 648 p.
- 2008. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Momordica charantia seed essential oil. Fitoterapia 79:123–5. , , , .
- 2006. Shelf-life limiting quality factors in fresh-cut (sliced) tomatoes: anti-ethylene treatment and maturity & variety selection to ensure quality retention. Oral Presentation on the 2006 Tomato Breeders Round Table & Tomato Quality Workshop Tampa, Fla.: University of Florida.
- 2004. Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods—a review. Int J Food Microbiol 94:223–53.
- 2003. The use of indicators and surrogate microorganisms for the evaluation of pathogens in fresh and fresh-cut produce. Compreh Rev Food Sci Food Safety 2:179–85. , , , , , , .
- CFSAN/FDA. 2006. Food additives list. Silver Spring , Md. : Food and Drug Agency–Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Available from: http://www.fda.gov. Accessed Jun 17, 2008.
- 2001. Antibacterial activity of leaf essential oils and their constituents from Cinnamomum osmophloeum. J Ethnopharmacol 77:123–7. , , .
- 2008. Antifungal activity of essential oil and its constituents from Calocedrus macrolepis var. formosana Florin leaf against plant pathogenic fungi. Bioresour Technol 99:6266–70. , , , , , .
- 1996. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activities of two aromatic plants: Origanum majorana L. and O. compactum Benth. J Essent Oil Res 8:657–64. , , .
- 1992. Elimination of allergenic moulds in dwellings. Antifungal properties of vapours of essential oil of Geranium Bourbon, citronellol, geraniol and citral. Ann Pharm Fr 50:156–66. , .
- 2007. Synergistic antiyeast activity of garlic oil and allyl alcohol derived from alliin in garlic. J Food Sci 72:M437–M40. , , , .
- 2009. Antimicrobial activity of medicinal plants from South America. In: Botanical medicine in clinical practice. Oxfordshire , U.K. : CABI. p 152–63. , .
- 2003. Antifungal activity of peppermint and sweet basil essential oils and their major aroma constituents on some plant pathogenic fungi from the vapor phase. Nahrung 47:117–21. , .
- 2001. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils from plants against selected pathogenic and saprophytic microorganisms. J Food Protect 64:1019–24. , , , .
- 1998. Spices, condiments and seasonings. Gaithersburg , Md. : Aspen Publishers Inc. 414 p. .
- 2008. Potential antimicrobial uses of essential oils in food: is citrus the answer? Trends Food Sci Technol 19:156–64. , .
- 2008. Flavour loss during postharvest handling and marketing of fresh-cut produce. Stewart Postharvest Rev 4:1–10. .
- 1993. Microbiología de los alimentos. Zaragoza , Spain : Acribia. , .
- 2008. The essential oil database. Available from: http://www.chamomile.co.uk/. Accessed 2008 Jan 7. .
- 2003. Microbiological safety of fresh and fresh-cut produce: description of the situation and economic impact. Compreh Rev Food Sci Food Safety 2:13–37. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Improvement of the overall quality of table grapes stored under modified atmosphere packaging in combination with natural antimicrobial compounds. J Food Sci 72:S185–S90. , , , , , .
- 2008. The antimicrobial efficacy of plant essential oil combinations and interactions with food ingredients. Int J Food Microbiol 124:91–7. , , .
- 2009. Impact of plant essential oils on microbiological, organoleptic and quality markers of minimally processed vegetables. Inn Food Sci Emerg Technol 10:195–202. , , , .
- 2003. Antifungal activity of volatile compounds generated by essential oils against fungi commonly causing deterioration of bakery products. J Appl Microbiol 94:893–9. , , , , , .
- 2008. Essential oil from lemongrass extracted by supercritical carbon dioxide and steam distillation. Philipp Agric Sci 91:36–41. , , , , , .
- 1999. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and other plant extracts. J Appl Microbiol 86:985–90. , , .
- 2006. Testing of the palatability of Thymus vulgaris L. and Origanum vulgare L. as flavouring feed additive for weaner pigs on the basis of a choice experiment. Berl Munch Tierarztl 119:238–43. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Flavor quality of fruits and vegetables. J Sci Food Agric 88:1863–8.
- 2004. Use of natural aroma compounds to improve shelf-life and safety of minimally processed fruits. Trends Food Sci Technol 15:201–8. , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification of volatile components in basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) and thyme leaves (Thymus vulgaris L.) and their antioxidant properties. Food Chem 91:131–7. , , , .
- 1999. Antimicrobial activity of the essential oils of Thymus vulgaris L. measured using a bioimpedometric method. J Food Protect 62:1017–23. , , .
- 2001. Impedance measurements to study the antimicrobial activity of essential oils from Lamiacea and Compositae. J Food Microbiol 67:187–95. , , .
- 2008. Influence of cut and packaging film on sensory quality of fresh-cut butterhead lettuce (Lactuca sativa L., CV. Wang). J Food Qual 31:48–66. , , .
- 2007. The basils: a review. Plant Arch 7:473–83. , .
- 2003. Study of essential oil components in different Origanum species by GC and sensory analysis. Acta Aliment Hung 32:141–50. , , , , .
- 2003. Comparative studies on the activity of basil—an essential oil from Ocimum basilicum L.—against multidrug resistant clinical isolates of the genera Staphylococcus, Enterococcus and Pseudomonas by using different test methods. J Microbiol Meth 54:105–10. , .
- 2005. Nutritional, sensory, and physicochemical properties of vitamin E- and mineral-fortified fresh-cut apples by use of vacuum impregnation. J Food Sci 70:S593–S9. , , .
- 2001. Consumer demand for fruit and vegetables: the US example. In: The changing structure of global food consumption and trade. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Economic Resource Service . p 49–54.
- 2004. Shelf life of leafy vegetables treated with natural essential oils. J Food Sci 69:M50–M6. , , .
- 2007. Aroma characterization of coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) oil samples. Eur Food Res Technol 225:367–74. , , .
- 2008. Comparative study on essential oils incorporated into an alginate-based edible coating to assure the safety and quality of fresh-cut Fuji apples. J Food Protect 71:1150–61. , , , .
- 2007. Extending and measuring the quality of fresh-cut fruit and vegetables: a review. Trends Food Sci Technol 18:373–86. , , , .
- 2007. Apple puree-alginate edible coating as carrier of antimicrobial agents to prolong shelf-life of fresh-cut apples. Postharvest Biol Technol 45:254–64. , , , , , .
- 1997. Developments in natural food preservatives. Agro Food Ind Hi Technol 8:22–5. , .
- 2001. Antimicrobial properties of garlic oil against human enteric bacteria: evaluation of methodologies and comparisons with garlic oil sulfides and garlic powder. Appl Environ Microbiol 67:475–80. , , , , .
- 1981. Culinary themes and variations: traditional seasoning practices both a sense of familiarity and a source of variety. Nat Hist 90:6–14. , .
- 2008. Dietitians’ attitudes, perceptions, and usage patterns for fresh-cut fruit and vegetables. Can J Diet Pract Res 69:7–13. , , , , .
- 2007. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by essential oil from Cinnamomum zeylanicum. Braz J Infect Dis 11:234–6. , , .
- 1999. Darwinian gastronomy: why we use spices, spices taste good because they are good for us. BioScience 49:453–63. , .
- 2008. Biochemical bases of appearance and texture changes in fresh-cut fruit and vegetables. Postharvest Biol Technol 48:1–14. , .
- 2003. Exploitation of natural products as an alternative strategy to control postharvest fungal rotting of fruit and vegetables. Postharvest Biol Technol 32:235–45. , .
- 2007. Chemical composition of the essential oils obtained from some spices widely used in Mediterranean region. Acta Chim Slov 54:921–6. , , , .
- 2008. Antibacterial activity of different essential oils obtained from spices widely used in Mediterranean diet. Int J Food Sci Technol 43:526–31. , , , .
- 2006. The use of essential oils as natural preservatives for berry fruits. Hortscience 41:1042–3. .
- 2008. Human pathogens and the phyllosphere. In: Advances in applied microbiology. Burlington , Mass. : Academic Press. p 183–209. , , , .
- 2007. Impact of estragole and other odorants on the flavour of anise and tarragon. Flavour Frag J 22:105–13. , .
- 2007. The antibacterial effect of cinnamaldehyde, thymol, carvacrol and their combinations against the foodborne pathogen Salmonella typhimurium. J Food Safety 27:124–33. , , , , , , , .