Design of Nano-Laminated Coatings to Control Bioavailability of Lipophilic Food Components
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2009
© 2009 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 75, Issue 1, pages R30–R42, January/February 2010
How to Cite
McClements, D. J. (2010), Design of Nano-Laminated Coatings to Control Bioavailability of Lipophilic Food Components. Journal of Food Science, 75: R30–R42. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01452.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2009
- MS 20090561 Submitted 6/18/2009, Accepted 10/28/2009.
- 2007. Probing the permeability of polyelectrolyte multilayer capsules via a molecular beacon approach. Langmuir 23(8):4554–62. , , , .
- 2005. Influence of environmental stresses on stability of O/W emulsions containing droplets stabilized by multilayered membranes produced by a layer-by-layer electrostatic deposition technique. Food Hydrocolloids 19(2):209–20. , , .
- 2001. Microencapsulation of food ingredients. Food Australia 53(6):220–3. , , , .
- 2006. Preliminary study of the influence of dietary fiber on the properties of oil-in-water emulsions passing through an in vitro human digestion model. Food Hydrocolloids 20(6):800–9. , , .
- 2008. Influence of lipid physical state on the in vitro digestibility of emulsified lipids. J Agric Food Chem 56(10):3791–7. , , , , , .
- 2007. Visualizing the structure of triglyceride nanoparticles in different crystal modifications. Langmuir 23(7):4005–11. , , .
- 2008. Hydrocolloid gel particles: formation, characterization, and application. Crit Rev Food Sci 48(5):361–77. , , , .
- 2009. Fabrication of functional anisotropic food-grade micro-rods with micro-particle inclusions with potential application for enhanced stability of food foams. Soft Matter 5(5):1019–23. , , .
- 2006. Food protein-based materials as nutraceutical delivery systems. Trends Food Sci Technol 17(5):272–83. , , .
- 2009. Theoretical stability maps for guiding preparation of emulsions stabilized by protein-polysaccharide interfacial complexes. Langmuir 25(12):6649–57. , .
- 2006. Use of a dynamic in vitro lipolysis model to rationalize oral formulation development for poor water soluble drugs: correlation with in vivo data and the relationship to intra-enterocyte processes in rats. Pharm Res 23(9):2165–74. , .
- 2007. In vitro screening of relative bioaccessibility of carotenoids from foods. 10th Asian Congress of Nutrition. Taipei , Taiwan : H E C Press, Healthy Eating Club Pty Ltd. p 200–3. , , .
- 2006. Microemulsions: a potential delivery system for bioactives in food. Crit Rev Food Sci 46(3):221–37. , .
- 2004. Food Emulsions. 4 ed. New York : Marcel Dekker. , , .
- 1997. Double emulsions—scope, limitations and new achievements. Colloid Surface A 123:233–46.
- 2004a. Influence of iota-carrageenan on droplet flocculation of beta-lactoglobulin-stabilized oil-in-water emulsions during thermal processing. Langmuir 20(22):9565–70. , , .
- 2004b. Influence of pH and iota-carrageenan concentration on physicochemical properties and stability of beta-lactoglobulin-stabilized oil-in-water emulsions. J Agric Food Chem 52(11):3626–32. , , .
- 2005. Production and characterization of oil-in-water emulsions containing droplets stabilized by multilayer membranes consisting of beta-lactoglobulin, iota-carrageenan and gelatin. Langmuir 21(13):5752–60. , , .
- 2006. Irreversible thermal denaturation of beta-lactoglobulin retards adsorption of carrageenan onto beta-lactoglobulin-coated droplets. Langmuir 22 7480–6. , , .
- 2007. Formation of colloidosomes by adsorption of small charged oil droplets onto the surface of large oppositely charged oil droplets. Food Hydrocolloids 21(4):516–26. , , .
- 2008. Nano-emulsions: new applications and optimization of their preparation. Curr Opin Colloid In 13(4):245–51. , , , , , .
- 2004. Factors influencing the production of O/W emulsions stabilized by beta-lactoglobulin-pectin membranes. Food Hydrocolloids 18(6):967–75. , , .
- 2006a. Formation, stability and properties of multilayer emulsions for application in the food industry. Adv Colloid Interfac 128:227–48. , .
- 2006b. Influence of Environmental stresses on o/w emulsions stabilized by β-lactoglobulin–pectin and β-lactoglobulin–pectin–chitosan membranes produced by the electrostatic layer-by-layer deposition technique. Food Biophysics 1(1):30–40. , .
- 2007. Impact of electrostatic interactions on formation and stability of emulsions containing oil droplets coated by beta-lactoglobulin-pectin complexes. J Agric Food Chem 55(2):475–85. , .
- 2006a. Characterization of β-lactoglobulin–sodium alginate interactions in aqueous solutions: a calorimetry, light scattering, electrophoretic mobility and solubility study. Food Hydrocolloids 20:577–85. , , .
- 2006b. Stabilization of model beverage cloud emulsions using protein-polysaccharide electrostatic complexes formed at the oil-water interface. J Agric Food Chem 54:5540–7. , , .
- 2008. Nutrients and phytochemicals: from bioavailability to bioefficacy beyond antioxidants. Curr Opin Biotechnol 19(2):73–82. , .
- 2007. Extraction and characterization of oil bodies from soy beans: a natural source of pre-emulsified soybean oil. J Agric Food Chem 55:8711–6. , , , , , .
- 2008. Stabilization of soybean oil bodies using protective pectin coatings formed by electrostatic deposition. J Agric Food Chem 56(6):2240–5. , , , , .
- 2007. Application of nanoparticles in oral delivery of immediate release formulations. Curr Nanosci 3(2):183–90. , , .
- 2006. Multiple emulsions: an overview. Curr Drug Deliv 3(4):429–43. , , , , .
- 2009. Influence of chitosan on stability and lipase digestibility of lecithin-stabilized tuna oil-in-water emulsions. Food Chem 114(4):1308–15. , .
- 2005a. Encapsulation of emulsified tuna oil in two-layered interfacial membranes prepared using electrostatic layer-by-layer deposition. Food Hydrocolloids 19(6):1044–53. , , , , .
- 2005b. Increasing the oxidative stability of liquid and dried tuna oil-in-water emulsions with electrostatic layer-by-layer deposition technology. J Agric Food Chem 53(11):4561–6. , , , , .
- 2005c. Stability of spray-dried tuna oil emulsions encapsulated with two-layered interfacial membranes. J Agric Food Chem 53(21):8365–71. , , , , .
- 2008. Formation of biopolymer-coated liposomes by electrostatic deposition of chitosan. J Food Sci 73(5):N7–N15. , , .
- 2003. Gelled emulsion particles for the controlled release of lipophilic volatiles during eating. J Control Release 90(2):227–41. , .
- 2005a. Food emulsions: principles, practice, and techniques. 2nd ed. Boca Raton , Fla. : CRC Press.
- 2005b. Food emulsions: principles, practice, and techniques. 2nd ed. Boca Raton , Fla. : CRC Press.
- 2005c. Theoretical analysis of factors affecting the formation and stability of multilayered colloidal dispersions. Langmuir 21(21):9777–85.
- 2006. Non-covalent interactions between proteins and polysaccharides. Biotechnol Adv 24(6):621–5.
- 2007a. Designing food structure to control stability, digestion, release and absorption of lipophilic food components. 2nd International symposium on delivery of functionality in complex food systems. Amherst , Mass . p 219–28. , , , .
- 2007b. Emulsion-based delivery systems for lipophilioc bioactive components. J Food Sci 72(8):R109–24. , , .
- 2009a. Controlling lipid bioavailability through physicochemical and structural approaches. Crit Rev Food Sci 49(1):48–67. , , .
- 2009b. Structural design principles for delivery of bioactive components in nutraceuticals and functional foods. Crit Rev Food Sci 49(6):577–606. , , , .
- 2003. Production and characterization of oil-in-water emulsions containing droplets stabilized by beta-lactoglobulin-pectin membranes. J Agric Food Chem 51(22):6612–7. , , , .
- 2000. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for controlled drug delivery: a review of the state of the art. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 50(1):161–77. , , .
- 2002. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) and nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) in cosmetic and dermatological preparations. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 54 Suppl 1:S131–55. , , .
- 2005. Influence of droplet characteristics on the formation of oil-in-water emulsions stabilized by surfactant-chitosan layers. Langmuir 21(14):6228–34. , , .
- 2006a. Influence of interfacial composition on in vitro digestibility of emulsified lipids: potential mechanism for chitosan's ability to inhibit fat digestion. Food Biophys 1(1):21–9. , , , , .
- 2006b. Influence of interfacial composition on in vitro digestibility of emulsified lipids: potential mechanism for chitosan's ability to inhibit fat digestion. Food Biophys 1:21–30. , , , , .
- 2007. Influence of emulsifier type on in vitro digestibility of lipid droplets by pancreatic lipase. Food Res Int 40(6):770–81. , , .
- 2007. Multiple emulsions for food use. Curr Opin Colloid In 12(4–5):213–20.
- 2001. Microstructure design in mixed biopolymer composites. Food Hydrocolloids 15(4–6):543–53. , .
- 2006. Fluid gels, mixed fluid gels and satiety. Food Hydrocolloids 20(2–3):229–39. , , .
- 2003a. Influence of environmental conditions on the stability of oil in water emulsions containing droplets stabilized by lecithin-chitosan membranes. J Agric Food Chem 51(18):5522–7. , , .
- 2003b. Production and characterization of O/W emulsions containing cationic droplets stabilized by lecithin-chitosan membranes. J Agric Food Chem 51(9):2806–12. , , .
- 2004. Production and characterization of O/W emulsions containing droplets stabilized by lecithin-chitosan-pectin mutilayered membranes. J Agric Food Chem 52(11):3595–600. , , .
- 2007. Influence of encapsulation of emulsified lipids with chitosan on their in vivo digestibility. Food Chem 104(2):761–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sporopollenin micro-reactors for in situ preparation, encapsulation and targeted delivery of active components. J Mater Chem 17(7):609–12. , , .
- 2007. Lipids and lipid-based formulations: optimizing the oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 6(3):231–48. , , .
- 2008. Lipases at interfaces: unique interfacial properties as globular proteins. Langmuir 24(13):6812–9. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lipases at interfaces: a review. Adv Colloid Interfac 147–8:237–50. , , , , .
- 2003. pH-controlled fabrication of polyelectrolyte multilayers: assembly and applications. In: DecherG, SchlenoffJB, editors. Multilayer thin films: sequential assembly of nanocomposite materials. Weinheim Wiley-VCH. p 133–54.
- 2008. Effect of interfacial protein cross-linking on the in vitro digestibility of emulsified corn oil by pancreatic lipase. J Agric Food Chem 56(16):7488–94. , , .
- 2003. Charge balance and transport in polyelectrolyte multilayers. In: DecherG, SchlenoffJB, editors. Multilayer thin films: sequential assembly of nanocomposite materials. Weinheim Wiley-VCH. p 99–132.
- 2007. Interactions affecting the Bioavailability of dietary polyphenols in vivo. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 77(3):224–35. , .
- 2003. Novel encapsulation system provides controlled release of ingredients. Food Technol 57:40–3. , .
- 2007. Colloidosomes: an emerging vesicular system in drug delivery. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst 24(4):361–91. , , , .
- 2009. Structuring food emulsions in the gastrointestinal tract to modify lipid digestion. Prog Lipid Res 48(2):92–100. , , .
- 2005. Influence of environmental stresses on stability of O/W emulsions containing cationic droplets stabilized by SDS-fish gelatin membranes. J Agric Food Chem 53(10):4236–44. , , , .
- 2005. Liposomal nanocapsules in food science and agriculture. Crit Rev Food Sci 45(7–8):587–605. , , , .
- 2002. Thermodynamic aspects of biopolymer functionality in biological systems, foods, and beverages. Crit Rev Biotechnol 22(2):89–174.
- 2000. Overview of digestion and absorption. In: CrissingerKD, StipanukMH, editors. Biochemical and physiological aspects of human nutrition. Philadelphia , Pa. : W.B. Saunders Co. p 75–90.
- 2002. Flavor delivery systems: trends, technologies and applications. Abstr Pap Am Chem S 223:U34–U34.
- 2006. Physical approaches for the delivery of active ingredients in foods. Trends Food Sci Technol 17(5):244–54. , .
- 2004. Assessment of the efficacy of functional food ingredients-introducing the concept “kinetics of biomarkers”. Mut Res 551(1–2):65–78. , , , , , .
- 2004. Development and applicability of an in vitro digestion model in assessing the bioaccessibility of contaminants from food. Report nr 320102002. Bilthoven , The Netherlands : Natl. Inst. of Public Health and the Environment. p 1–87. , , .
- 2008. Solid lipid nanoparticles as delivery systems for bioactive food components. Food Biophys 3(2):146–54. , , , , , .
- 2008. Impact of Oil type on nanoemulsion formation and ostwald ripening stability. Langmuir 24(22):12758–65. , , .
- 2001. A dynamic in vitro lipolysis model I. Controlling the rate of lipolysis by continuous addition of calcium. European J Pharma Sci 14(2):115–22. , , , .