First Processing Steps and the Quality of Wild and Farmed Fish
Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2010
© 2010 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages R1–R5, January/February 2011
How to Cite
Borderías, A. J. and Sánchez-Alonso, I. (2011), First Processing Steps and the Quality of Wild and Farmed Fish. Journal of Food Science, 76: R1–R5. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01900.x
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2010
- MS 20100471 Submitted 4/29/2010, Accepted 9/20/2010.
- 1994. Fillet gaping in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Norwegian J Aquac Sci 8:165–79. , , , .
- 2001. Slaughtering of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus): effect on quality and storing capacity. In: KestinSC, WarrissPD, editors. Farmed fish quality. Oxford , England : Fishing News Book. Blackwell Science Ltd. p 381. , .
- 1986. Effect of bleeding/gutting procedures on the sensory quality of fresh raw Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Can Insti Food Sci Technol J 19:186–90. , , .
- 1987. Effect of method of catching and time of season on sensory quality of fresh raw Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L). J Food Sci 52:928–31. , , .
- 1984. Effects of brain destruction on post harvest muscle metabolism in the fish Kahawai (Arripis-Trutta). J Food Sci 49:177–9. , , , .
- 2006. Effects of gutting and ungutting on microbiological, chemical, and sensory properties of aquacultured sea bream (Sparus aurata) and sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) stored in ice. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 46:519–27. , , , , .
- 2002. Anchovy shelf live as affected by different chilling methods during distribution. J Food Prot 65:353–61. , , .
- 1988. Regulations regarding the wholesomeness of fish and shellfish. Bundesgesetzlatt I:1570–1. .
- 1982. Quality at sea- recommendations for on board quality improvement procedures. Gloucester , Mass. : New Bedford Seafood Producers Assoc. and New England Fisheries Development Foundation. , , .
- 1976. Handling fresh fish. In: StansbyME, editors. Industrial fishery technology. N.Y. : Robert E. Krieger Publishing Co. p 45–64.
- 2008. Atlantic salmon skin and fillet colour changes effected by perimortem handling stress, rigor mortis, and ice storage. J Food Sci 73:C50–9. , .
- 2007. Sensory, chemical and microbiological attributes of sea bream (Sparus aurata): effect of washing and ice storage. Int J Food Prop 10:421–34.
- FAO. 1973. Code of practice for fresh fish. FAO fisheries circular C318. Rome , Italy : Food and Agricultural Org.
- 2007. Feeding interruption and quality of cultured gilthead sea bream. Food Chem 100:1504–10. , , .
- 2005. Effect of ozone pre-treatment on fish storage life at low temperatures. J Food Prot 68:778–84. , , , , .
- 2002. Starvation before slaughtering as a tool to keep freshness attributes on gilhead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Aquac Int 10:379–89. , , , , , .
- 2006. Ozone action on survival and storage life on live and chilled tilapia. Israeli J Aquac Bamidgeh 58:147–56. , , , , .
- 1987. Post harvest quality of tuna meat, a question of technique. Food Technol Aust 39:343–5. .
- 2005. Recent concerns about stunning and slaughter. Meat Sci 70:481–91. .
- 2000. Anisakid larvae in the musculature of the Argentinean hake (Merluccius hubbsi). J Food Prot 63:1141–3. , , , .
- 2004. Gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata): suitability for freezing and commercial alternatives. J Sci Food Agric 84:1405–13. , .
- 1995. Quality and quality changes in fresh fish. FAO fisheries technical. Rome : FAO Press. p 348 .
- 2002. The abundance of nematode larvae Anisakis sp. in the flesh of fishes and possible post-mortem migration. Archiv fur Lebensmittelhygiene 53:118–20. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The effect of CO2 concussion or electrical stunning of rainbow trout (Onchoryncus mykiss) on fish welfare. In: Quality in aquaculture. Special Publication 23, Ghent , Begium : European Aquaculture Society. p 380–1. , , .
- 2004. Texture, gaping and colour of fresh and frozen Atlantic salmon flesh as affected by pre-slaughter iso-eugenol or CO2 anaesthesia. Aquaculture 236:645–57. , , , .
- 1990. An evaluation of simple methods for following rigor development in fish. J Food Sci 55:346–9. , , .
- 1981. Effects of microbial decontamination on the storage stability of fresh fish. J Food Sci 46:1012–4. , .
- 2007. Pre-rigor filleting and drip loss from fillets of farmed Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L). Aquac Res 38:1721–31. , , , .
- 1984. Gaping in farmed salmon and trout. Torry advisory note N° 90. Edinburgh : HMSO Press.
- 1974. Gaping of fillets. Torry advisory note N° 61. Edinburgh : HMSO Press. .
- 1993. Flesh quality of snapper, Pagrus auratus, affectedby capture stress. J Food Sci 58:771–3. , , , .
- 1986. A seafood quality program for the mid-Atlantic region, Part II. A report submitted to the Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Development Foundation. Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ., Sea Grant , Blacksburg , Va . , , .
- 2005. Influence of storage temperatures and killing procedures on post-mortem changes in the muscle of horse mackerel caught near Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan. Fish Sci 71:187–94. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of various killing procedures and storage temperatures on postmortem changes in the muscle of horse Mackerel. Bull Japan Soc Sci Fish 60:125–30. , .
- 2006. Relevance of dietary oil source for concentration and quality of pre-rigor filleted Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua. Aquaculture 251:56–65. .
- 2001. Seasonal variations in grow, feed utilization and product quality of farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) transferred to seawater as O+smolts or 1+smolts. Aquaculture 199:145–57. , .
- 1986. Maine Groundfish Association vessel quality handling project. A report submitted to the New England Fisheries Development Foundation. Gloucester , Mass . .
- 2006. Effect of slaughter methods on blood spotting and residual blod in fillets of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 258:462–9. , , , .
- 2003. Effect of gutting on microbiological, chemical and sensory properties of aquacultured sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) stored in ice. Food Microbiol 20:411–20. , , , , .
- 2005. Fish wellfare quality as affected by pre-slaughter and slaughter management. Aquacult Int 13:29–49. , , , .
- 1991. Post-mortem changes in chilled round, bled and dressed albacore. J Food Sci 56:318–21. , , .
- 2010. Effect of different cooling techniques on bacterial succession and other spoilage indicators during storage of whole, gutted haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus). Eur Food Res Technol 231:237–46. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Some factors affecting the fish quality of salmonids: pigmentation, composition and eating quality [PhD thesis]. Bristol , U.K. : Univ. of Bristol . .
- 2001. The relationship between killing methods and quality. In: KestinSC, WarrissPD, editors. Farmed fish quality Oxford. England : Fishing News Book, Blackwell Science Ltd. p 220–33.
- 1999. Welfare and quality. What is the relationship? Presentation at Innovation for seafood'99, Surfer's Paradise, Queensland, Australia, 21–23 April. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of methods for determining the prevalence of blood spots in smoked Atlantic salmon and the effect of exsanguinations method on prevalence of blood spots. Aquaculture 217:125–38. , , .
- 1993. Catch handling and the possible migration of Anisakis larvae in herring (Clupea harengus). J Food Prot 56:783–7. , , , .
- 2001. Primary processing (evisceration and filleting). In: KestinSC, WarrissPD, editors. Farmed fish quality. Oxford , England : Fishing News Book. Blackwell Science Ltd. p 249–60. , , .
- 2003. Effect of pre-, in-, and post-rigor filleted Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) on microbial spoilage and quality characteristics. J Aqua Food Prod Technol 12:17–31. , , , , .
- 2005. The effect of slaughtering procedures on blood spotting in rainbow trout (Oncorthynchus mykiss) and Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 250:796–803. , , .
- 2007. Slaughter quality and rigor contraction in fanned turbot (Scophthalmus maximus): a comparison between different stunning methods. Aquaculture 272:754–61. , , , , .
- 1984. Demonstrations of quality maintenance program for fresh fish products. A report submitted to Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Development Foundation. Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ., Sea Grant , Blacksburg , Va . , , .
- 1986. Comparison of whole with headed and gutted Orange Roughy stored in ice: sensory, microbiology and chemical assessment. J Food Sci 51:79–83. , , , .
- 1984. Effect of delay filleting on quality of cod fish. J Food Sci 48:979–80. , , .
- 1949. Some bacteriological aspects of handling, processing and distribution of fish. J R Sanit Insti 59:394–402.
- 1961. The microbiology of seawater fish. In: BorgstromG, editor. Fish as food. New York : Academic Press. p 487–560.
- 1997. Handling stress and storage temperature affect meat quality of farm-raised Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). J Food Sci 62:898–905. , , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of pre-, in- or post-rigor filleting of live chilled Atlantic Salmon. Aquaculture 194:315–26. , , , , , .
- 2001. Problems of sea bass and seabream quality in the Mediterranean. In: KestinSC, WarrissPD, editors. Farmed fish quality. Oxford , England : Fishing News Book, Blackwell Science Ltd. p 121–8. .
- 2007. Effect of bleeding treatment and perfusion of yellowtail on lipid oxidation in post-mortem muscle. Food Chem 104:962–70. , , , , , .
- 2005. The effect of stress and storage temperature on the colour and texture of pre-rigor filleted farmed cod (Gadus Morhua, L.). Aquac Res 36:1197–206. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Fish handling on board Norwegian fishing vessels. In: MollerA, editor. Fifty years of fisheries research in Iceland. Reykjavik , Iceland : Jubilee Seminar of the Icelandic Fisheries Lab., 23–24 Sep. p 15. , .
- 1981. Fish and krill protein. Barking, Essex , England : Applied Science Publishers Ltd. .
- 2002. Quality of farmed gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) during iced storage related to the slaughter methods and gutting. Eur Food Res Technol 215:1–7. , .
- 2006. The effect or pre-rigor processing of cod (Gadus morhua L.) on quality and shelf life. In: LutenJB, JacobsenC, BekaertK, SaeboA, OehlenschlägerJ, editors. Seafood research from sea to dish. Wageningen , The Netherlands : Wageningen Academic Publishers. p 149–59. , , , , , .
- 1981. Effect or early evisceration on the keeping quality of Atlantic croaker (Micropogon undulatus) and grey trout (Cynoscion regalis) as determined by subjective and objective methodology. J Food Sci 46:863–7. , .
- 1984. The effect of bleeding and gutting on the quality of fresh, quick frozen, and salted products. In: MollerA, editor. Fifty years of fisheries research in Iceland. Reykjavik , Iceland : Jubilee Seminar of the Icelandic Fisheries Lab., 23–24 Sep. p 61. , , .
- 2003. Is humane slaughter of fish possible for industry Aquac Res 34:211–20. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Temperature-dependency of rigor-mortis of fish muscle: myofibrillar mg-2±-atpase activity and ca-2± uptake by sarcoplasmic-reticulum. J Food Sci 54:1107–10. , , , , .