The Role of Dietary Fiber in the Bioaccessibility and Bioavailability of Fruit and Vegetable Antioxidants
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2011
© 2010 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages R6–R15, January/February 2011
How to Cite
Palafox-Carlos, H., Ayala-Zavala, J. F. and González-Aguilar, G. A. (2011), The Role of Dietary Fiber in the Bioaccessibility and Bioavailability of Fruit and Vegetable Antioxidants. Journal of Food Science, 76: R6–R15. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01957.x
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2011
- MS 20100796 Submitted 7/14/2010, Accepted 9/27/2010.
- 1990. Dietary fiber: in vitro methods that anticipate nutrition and metabolic activity in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 52(1):128–34. , , , .
- 2005. Why food microstructure? J Food Eng 67(1–2):3–11. .
- 1994. Polyphenols as dietary fiber associated compounds. Comparative study on in vivo and in vitro properties. J Agric Food Chem 42(7):1481–7. , , .
- 1993. Dietary non-extractable condensed tannins as indigestible compounds: effects on faecal weight, and protein and fat excretion. J Sci Food Agric 63:63–8. , , .
- 2006. The interaction of dietary fibres with the colon. Curr Nutr Food Sci 2:243–64. , , , .
- 1999. The food matrix of spinach is a limiting factor in determining the bioavailability of beta-carotene and to a lesser extent of lutein in humans. J Nutr 129(2):349–55. , , , , .
- 2004. Dietary carbohydrates and health: do we still need the fibre concept? Clin Nutr Suppl 1(2):5–17. , , .
- 2009. Polyphenols and health: what compounds are involved? Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20(1):1–6. , , , .
- 2006. Vitamin synthesis in plants: tocopherols and carotenoids. Annu Rev Plant Biol 57:711–38. , .
- 1999. Amount of dietary fat and type of fiber affect beta-carotene (beta C) bioavailability (BV) in the Mongolian gerbil. FASEB J 13(4):A553–8. , , , .
- 2007. Plant foods and health: focus on plant bioactives. European Food Information Resource (EuroFIR) Consortium. Funded under the EU 6th Framework Food Quality and Safety Thematic Priority. Contract FOOD-CT-2005-513944. , .
- 2004. Dietary fiber: the influence of definition on analysis and regulation. J AOAC Int 87(3):682–706. .
- 2009. Dietary Fiber Complex in Beer. J Am Soc Brewing Chem 67(1):38–43. , .
- 2006. Absorption and metabolism of dietary plant secondary metabolites. In: CrozierA, CliffordMN, AshiharaH, editors. Plant secondary metabolites: occurrence, structure and role in the human diet. Oxford U.K. : Wiley-Blackwell. p 303–51. , , , .
- Absorption and metabolism of dietary plant secondary metabolites. In: CrozierA, CliffordMN, AshiharaH, editors. Plant secondary metabolites: occurrence, structure and role in the human diet. Oxford U.K. : Wiley-Blackwell. p 303–51. , , , . 2006.
- 2006b. Absorption and metabolism of dietary plant secondary metabolites. Plant secondary metabolites: occurrence, structure and role in the human diet. 303–51. , , , .
- 1992. Physical properties of dietary fiber that influence physiological function: a model for polymers along the gastrointestinal tract. Am J Clin Nutr 55(2):436–42. , .
- 2002. alpha- and beta-carotene from a commercial carrot puree are more bioavailable to humans than from boiled-mashed carrots, as determined using an extrinsic stable isotope reference method. J Nutr 132(2):159–67. , , , , , .
- 2005. Challenges to understanding and measuring carotenoid bioavailability. BBA-Mol Basis Dis 1740(2):95–100. , .
- 2004. A flavonoid fraction from cranberry extract inhibits proliferation of human tumor cell lines. J Nutr 134(6):1529–35. , , , , .
- 1997. Intestinal absorption and tissue distribution of carotenoids. J Nutr Biochem 8(7):364–77. , .
- 1997. Reactivity of lignin during peroxide bleaching. Influence of process parameters. Ninth Intl. Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry. Poster presentations. p 301–4. , .
- 1995. Protective effect of fruits and vegetables on development of stroke in men. JAMA 273(14):1113–7. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Phytochemical changes in the postharvest and minimal processing of fresh fruits and vegetables. In: De la RosaLA, Alvarez-ParrillaE, Gonzalez-AguilarGA, editors. Fruit and vegetable phytochemicals: chemistry, Mexico : Nutritional Value, and Stability. p 309–11. , , , .
- 2005. The intake of dietary fiber from grape seeds modifies the antioxidant status in rat cecum. J Sci Food Agric 85(11):1877–81. , .
- 2002. Estimation of carotenoid accessibility from carrots determined by an in vitro digestion method. Eur J Clin Nutr 56(5):425–30. , , .
- 1993. Intake of potentially anticarcinogenic flavonoids and their determinants in adults in The Netherlands. Nutr Cancer 20(1):21–9. , , , .
- 2000. Dietary factors that affect the bioavailability of carotenoids. J Nutr 130(3):503–6. , , , .
- 1999. Dietary fiber reduces the antioxidative effect of a carotenoid and a-tocopherol mixture on LDL oxidation ex vivo in humans. Eur J Nutr 38(6):278–85. , , , .
- 1999. Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 282(13):1233–9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease. Ann Intl Med 134(12):1106–14. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Chemistry, distribution, and metabolism of tomato carotenoids and their impact on human health. Exp Biol Med 227(10):845–51. , , , , , .
- 2006. Phenolic acids are absorbed from the rat stomach with different absorption rates. J Agric Food Chem 54(20):7539–43. , , .
- 2004. How should we assess the effects of exposure to dietary polyphenols in vitro? Am J Clin Nutr 80(1):15–21. , , , , , , .
- 2003. An in vitro model system to predict the bio accessibility of heterocyclic amines from a cooked meat matrix. Food Chem Toxicol 41(12):1701–10. , , , .
- 2008. Bioavailability of phenolic acids. Phytochem Rev 7:301–11. , .
- 2006. Chlorogenic acid is absorbed in its intact form in the stomach of rats. J Nutr 136(5):1192–7. , , , , , .
- 2004. Polyphenols: food sources and bioavailability. Am J Clin Nutr 79(5):727–47. , , , , .
- 2005. Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans. I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies. Am J Clin Nutr 81(1):230s–42s. , , , , .
- 2009. Bioavailability of ferulic acid is determined by its bioaccessibility. J Cereal Sci 49:296–300. , , , , .
- 2003. Antioxidant nutrients and chronic disease: use of biomarkers of exposure and oxidative stress status in epidemiologic research. J Nutr 133(3):933s–40s. .
- 1992. Plasma carotenoid response to chronic intake of selected foods and beta-carotene supplements in men. Am J Clin Nutr 55(6):1120–5. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A review of interactions between dietary fibre and the intestinal mucosa, and their consequences on digestive health in young non-ruminant animals. Anim Feed Sci Technol 108(1–4):95–117. , , .
- 1990. Physical properties of dietary fiber in relation to biological function. In: SouthgateDAT, WK JohnsonIT, FenwickR, editors. Special Publications. London : Royal Society of Chemistry. p 91–102. .
- 2007. The Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation on diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: process, product and policy implications. Public Health Nutr 7(1a):245–50. , , , .
- 2007. Food microstructure affects the bioavailability of several nutrients. J Food Sci 72(2):R21–R32. , .
- 2009. Bioavailability of phenolic antioxidants associated with dietary fiber: plasma antioxidant capacity after acute and long-term intake in humans. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 64:102–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Factors influencing the bioavailability of antioxidants in foods: a critical appraisal. Nutr Metab Cardiovas 18(10):647–50. , .
- 1998. Absorption of lycopene from single or daily portions of raw and processed tomato. Br J Nutr 80(4):353–61. , , .
- 2000. What is dietary fiber? J AOAC Int 83(4):985–7. .
- 2004. Colonic metabolism of dietary polyphenols: influence of structure on microbial fermentation products. Free Radical Biol Med 36(2):212–25. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Some dietary fibers reduce the absorption of carotenoids in women. J Nutr 129(12):2170–6. , , , .
- 2010. Flavonoids and their relation to human health. In: Gonzalez AguilarG, De la RosaL, editors. Fruits and vegetables phytochemicals. p 160–2. , , , .
- 1998. Bioavailability of beta-carotene is lower in raw than in processed carrots and spinach in women. J Nutr 128(5):913–6. , , , , , .
- 1992. Plasma beta-carotene response in humans after meals supplemented with dietary pectin. Am J Clin Nutr 55(1):96–9. , .
- 2007. Polyphenols associated with dietary fibre in wine: a wine polyphenols gap? Food ResInt 40(5):613–9. , .
- 2007. Intake and bioaccessibility of total polyphenols in a whole diet. Food Chem 101(2):492–501. , , .
- 2008. The flavonoid rutin induces astrocyte and microglia activation and regulates TNF-alpha and NO release in primary glial cell cultures. Cell Biol Toxicol 24(1):75–86. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Predicting the bioavailability of antioxidants in food: the case of carotenoids. In: MichaelGordon, editor. New York : Jan Pokorny. p 124–6. , .
- 1992. Uptake of lycopene and its geometrical isomers is greater from heat-processed than from unprocessed tomato juice in humans. J Nutr 122(11):2161–6. , .
- 1996. Vegetables, fruit, and cancer prevention-a review. J Am Diet Assoc 96(10):1027–39. , .
- 2009. In vitro bio-accessibility and antioxidant activity of grape polyphenols. Food Chem 120(2):599–606. , , , .
- 2004. The role of carotenoids in the prevention of human pathologies. Biomed Pharmacother 58(2):100–10. , , .
- 2006. Fruit and vegetables in cancer prevention. Nutr Cancer 54(1):111–42. , .
- 2000. Carotenoid bioavailability in humans from tomatoes processed in different ways determined from the carotenoid response in the triglyceride-rich lipoprotein fraction of plasma after a single consumption and in plasma after four days of consumption. J Nutr 130(5):1189–96. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dietary modification of antioxidant capacity in the lipid compartment of serum. FASEB J 16(4):A603–A8. , , , .
- 2002. Factors that influence the bioavailablity of xanthophylls. J Nutr 132(3):531S–4S. , .
- 2003. Digestion and absorption of ferulic acid sugar esters in rat gastrointestinal tract. J Agric Food Chem 51(18):5534–39. , , .