Food Science Challenge: Translating the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to Bring About Real Behavior Change
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
© 2010 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages R29–R37, January/February 2011
How to Cite
Rowe, S., Alexander, N., Almeida, N., Black, R., Burns, R., Bush, L., Crawford, P., Keim, N., Kris-Etherton, P. and Weaver, C. (2011), Food Science Challenge: Translating the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to Bring About Real Behavior Change. Journal of Food Science, 76: R29–R37. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01973.x
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
- MS 20101227.
- 2000. History of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans—development of the guidelines: a chronology. Available from: NutriWatch (http://www.nutriwatch.org/05Guidelines/dgahistory.html).Accessed Sept 16, 2010. , .
- 2010. “Public health advocates worry that dietary advice will get lost in translation.” Washington Post. Available from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/02/AR2010100203114_pf.html.Accessed Oct 22, 2010.
- 2010. Whole-grain bread edges white in sales. Chicago Tribune. Available from: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/06/616600/whole-grain-bread-edges-white.html. Accessed Sept 16, 2010. .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 2010. State-specific trends in fruit and vegetable consumption among adults—United States, 2000–2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 59:1125–30.
- 2009. Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 109:1266–82. , ; American Dietetic Assn..
- Inst. of Medicine. 2007. Learning what works best, the nation's need for evidence on comparative effectiveness in health care. Washington , D.C. : Inst. of Medicine. Available from: http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Quality/VSRT/ComparativeEffectivenessWhitePaperESF.pdf. Accessed Oct 24, 2010.
- Intl. Food Information Council (IFIC). 2010. 2010 food & health survey. Washington , D.C. : IFIC. Available from: http://www.foodinsight.org/Content/3651/FINAL%202010%20Food%20and%20Health%20Exec%20Summary%20Final.pdf. Accessed Oct 18, 2010.
- 2010. Americans do not meet federal dietary recommendations. J Nutr 140:1832–8. , , , , .
- 2001. Considerations in planning vegan diets: children. J Am Diet Assoc 101:661–9. , .
- 2010. Healthier fats replacing trans fats, study finds. HealthDay. Available from: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2010/05/26/healthier-fats-replacing-trans-fats-study-finds.html). Accessed Sep 19, 2010.
- 2009. Communicating dietary guidelines to a balking public. Nutr Today 44:81–4. , .
- United States Dept. of Agriculture (USDA), Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. 2010a. Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: executive summary. Washington , D.C. : USDA. Available from: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm. Accessed Oct 22, 2010.
- United States Dept. of Agriculture (USDA), Economic Research Service. 2010b. Incorporating behavioral economics into federal food and nutrition policy. Washington , D.C. : USDA. Available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/ConferenceCenter/Behavioral/. Accessed Oct 21, 2010.
- 2002. WHO principles in working with the private sector on diet, physical activity and health. Geneva , Switzerland : World Health Organization. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2003/pr32/en/. Accessed Oct 21, 2010.