The Biomimetic Immunoassay Based on Molecularly Imprinted Polymer: A Comprehensive Review of Recent Progress and Future Prospects
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2011
© 2011 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 76, Issue 2, pages R69–R75, March 2011
How to Cite
Xu, Z.X., Gao, H.J., Zhang, L.M., Chen, X.Q. and Qiao, X.G. (2011), The Biomimetic Immunoassay Based on Molecularly Imprinted Polymer: A Comprehensive Review of Recent Progress and Future Prospects. Journal of Food Science, 76: R69–R75. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.02020.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2011
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2011
- MS 20101014 Submitted 9/8/2010, Accepted 11/24/2010.
- 2006. Molecular imprinting science and technology: a survey of the literature for the years up to and including 2003. Mol Recognit 19:106–80. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecularly imprinted polymers-preparation, biomedical applications and technical challenges. Prog Med Chem 36:235–91. , , .
- 1995. Mimics of the binding sites of opioid receptors obtained by molecular imprinting of enkephalin and morphine. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:4788–92. , , , .
- 1996. Application of molecular imprinting to the development of aqueous buffer and organic solvent based radioligand binding assays for (S)-propranolol. Anal Chem 68:111–7. .
- 2000. Molecular imprinting for drug bioanalysis: a review on the application of imprinted polymers to solid-phase extraction and binding assay. J Chromatogr B 739:163–73. .
- 2004. Molecularly imprinted polymers in pseudoimmunoassay. J Chromatogr B 804:151–65. .
- 2006. Efficient preparation and improved sensitivity of molecularly imprinted polymers using room temperature ionic liquids. Chem Commun 16:1730–2. , , , .
- 1979. Radioimmunossay of cyclic AMP and cyclic GMP. Adv Cyclic Nucleotide Res 10:1–33. , , , .
- 1987. Immunoassay-a practical guide. London : Academic press. .
- 2002. Rational design of a polymer specific for microcystin-LR using a computational approach. Anal Chem 74:1288–93. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Synthesis of a molecularly imprinted polymer for the selective solid-phase extraction of chloramphenicol from honey. J Chromatogr A 1132:325–8. , .
- 2005. Piezoelectric quartz sensor for caffeine based on molecularly imprinted polymethacrylic acid. Sensor Actuat B 107:782–90. , .
- 2001. Evaluation of methods aimed at complete removal of template from molecularly imprinted polymers. Analyst 126:784–92. , , , , , .
- 2004. Removal of phenolic compounds with nitrophenol-imprinted polymer based on π-π and hydrogen-bonding interactions. Sep Purif Technol 38:173–9. , , , , , .
- 2004. Biosensor for the determination of sorbitol based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymer. Biosens Bioelectron 19:1513–9. , , , .
- 1999. Utilization of enzyme—substrate interactions in analytical chemistry. J Chromatogr B 722:279–301. .
- 1991. Direct enantioseparation of beta-adrenergic blockers using a chiral stationary phase prepared by molecular imprinting. J Am Chem Soc 113:9358–60. , , , .
- 2005. Molecularly imprinted solid phase extraction for detection of Sudan I in food matrices. Food Chem 93:349–53. , , , , , .
- 1995. Immunoassays. Anal Chem 67:R455–62. .
- 1998. Herbicide assay using an imprinted polymer based on system analogous to competitive fluoroimmunoassay. Anal Chem 70:628–31. , , .
- 1998. Herbicide assay using an imprinted polymer based on system analogous to competitive fluoroimmunoassay. Anal Chem 70:3936–9. , , .
- 1998. Plastic antibodies: developments and applications. Trends Biotechnol 16:468–75. , .
- 2000. Molecularly imprinted polymers and their use in biomimetic sensors. Chem Rev 100:2495–504. , .
- 1999. Molecularly imprinted sorbent assays and the use of non-related probes. React Funct Polym 41:125–31. .
- 2003. Imprinted polymers: tailor-made mimics of antibodies and receptors. Chem Commun 2:171–8. .
- 2003. Mass-sensitive detection of cells, viruses and enzymes with artificial receptors. Sensor Actuat B 91:316–9. , , , , , .
- 1985. Fluoroimmunoassays and immunofluorometric assays. Clin Chem 31:359–70. .
- 2002. Chromatographic characteristics of cholesterol-imprinted polymers preparaed by covalent and non-covalent imprinting methods. J Chromatogr A 962:69–78. , .
- 1999. Molecularly imprinted polymers and infrared evanescent wave spectroscopy. A chemical sensors approach. Anal Chem 71:4786–91. , , , , .
- 2004. Current status of molecularly imprinted polymers as alternatives to antibodies in sorbent assays. Anal Chim Acta 510:139–45. , , .
- 2001. The immunoassay handbook. London : Nature publishing group. .
- 2005. Preparation of porous aminopropylsilsesquioxane by a nonhydrolytic sol-gel method in ionic liquid solvent. Langmuir 21:1618–22. , , , , , .
- 2004. Approaches to the rational design of molecularly imprinted polymers. Anal Chim Acta 504:7–14. , , .
- 1980. Monoclonal antibodies. Sci Am 243:56–65. .
- 1999. Porphyrin receptors for amines, amino acids, and oligopeptides in water. J Am Chem Soc 121:11425–31. , , .
- 2002. Advanced solid phase extraction using molecularly imprinted polymers for the determination of quercetin in red wine. J Agric Food Chem 50:1804–8. , , .
- 1998. Biosensor for direct determination of organophosphate nerve agents using recombinant escherichia coli with surface-expressed organophosphorus hydrolase. 2. fiber-optic microbial biosensor. Anal Chem 70:5042–6. , , .
- 1997. N-methylidene[bis(trimethylsilyl)methyl]amine: the first isolable and stable monomeric methanimine allowing thermal [2 + 2] cycloadditions with ketenes. Anal Commun 34:233–4. , , , .
- 2008. Design of molecular imprinted polymers compatible with aqueous environment. Anal Chim Acta 607:54–60. , , , , , .
- 2000a. Surface functionalization of porous polypropylene membranes with molecularly imprinted polymers by photograft copolymerization in water. Macromol 33:3092–8. , , , , , , .
- 2000b. Chemical grafting of molecularly imprinted homopolymers to the surface of microplates. Application of artificial adrenergic receptor in enzyme-linked assay for β-agonists determination. Anal Chem 72:4381–5. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Substitution of antibody and receptors with molecularly imprinted polymers in enzyme-linked and fluorescent assays. Biosens Bioelectron 16:701–7. , , , , , .
- 1977. Optical detection system for triazine based on molecularly imprinted polymers. Anal Lett 30:445–55. , , , , , .
- 2001. Food analyses using molecularly imprinted polymers. J Agric Food Chem 14:2015–114. , , , , .
- 1996. Artificial antibodies to corticosteroids prepared by molecular imprinting. Chem Biol 3:471–7. , , .
- 2004. A simple method for spin-coating molecularly imprinted polymer films of controlled thickness and porosity. Adv Mater 16:719–22. , , .
- 1997. Noncovalent molecular imprinting: antibody-like molecular recognition in polymeric network materials. Anal Chem 16:310–20. .
- 2007. Colorimetric and fluorometric molecularly imprinted polymer sensors and binding assays. Polym Int 56:482–8. , .
- 2001. Chemiluminescence imaging ELISA using an imprinted polymer as the recognition element instead of an antibody. Anal Chem 73:487–91. , , , , .
- 2001. Development of a flow injection capillary chemiluminescent ELISA using an imprinted polymer instead of the antibody. Anal Chem 73:4388–92. , , , .
- 2000. An enzyme-linked molecularly imprinted sorbent assay. Analyst 125:13–16. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Energetic heterogeneity of the surface of a molecularly imprinted polymer studied by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 964:99–111. , , , .
- 2006. Nonlinear adsorption isotherm as a tool for understanding and characterizing molecularly imprinted polymers. J Chromatogr A 1119:29–33. , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of molecularly imprinted polymers with the Langmuir-Freundlich isotherm. Anal Chem 73:4584–91. , , , , .
- 2000. Measurement of the continuous distribution of binding sites in molecularly imprinted polymers. Analyst 125:1261–5. , , .
- 2004. Characterization of the heterogeneous binding site affinity distributions in molecularly imprinted polymers. J Chromatogr B 804:141–9. , , , , , .
- 2007. Molecularly imprinted polymers as antibody mimics in automated on-line fluorescent competitive assays. Anal Chem 79:4915–23. , , , , .
- 2007. Hierarchically nanostructured polymer films based on molecularly imprinted surface-bound nanorilaments. Adv Mater 19:3717–20. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular imprinting: a dynamic technique for diverse applications in analytical chemistry. Anal Bioanal Chem 380:587–605. , .
- 1993. Drug assay using antibody mimics made by molecular imprinting. Nature 361:645–7. , , , .
- 2006. A room temperature ionic liquid (RTIL)-mediated, non-hydrolytic sol–gel methodology to prepare molecularly imprinted, silica-based hybrid monoliths for chiral separation. Adv Mater 18:3266–70. , , , , .
- 2008. Chemiluminescence imaging assay dipyridamole based on molecular imprinted polymer as recognition material. Sensor Actuat B-Chem 28:40–5. , .
- 2009. Development of a biomimetic enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method for the determination of estrone in environmental water using novel molecularly imprinted films of controlled thickness as artificial antibodies. J Agric Food Chem 57:4528–34. , , , , , .
- 2007. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and colloidal gold immunoassay for ochratoxin A: investigation of analytical conditions and sample matrix on assay performance. Anal Bioanal Chem 389:903–11. , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular imprinting in cross-linked materials with the aid of molecular templates-away towards artificial antibodies. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 34:1812–32. .
- 1977. Enzyme-analogue built polymers, on the synthesis of polymers containing chiral cavities and their use for the resolution of racemates. Makromol Chem 178:279–80. , , .
- 2007. Quartz crystal microbalance for the determination of daminozide using molecularly imprinted polymers as recognition element. Biosens Bioelectron 22:1087–91. , , .
- 2008. Molecularly imprinted polymer using b-cyclodextrin as functional monomer for the efficient recognition of bilirubin. Anal Chim Acta 606:92–7. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecularly imprinted polymers for biosensor applications. Trends Anal Chem 18:199–204. , .
- 2004. Molecularly imprinted polymers as antibody and receptor mimics for assays, sensors and drug discovery. Anal Bioanal Chem 378:1887–97. , .
- 2004. Ionic liquid assisted preparation of nanostructured TiO2 particles. Chem Commun 17:2000–1. , , .
- 2004. Synthetic hosts via molecular imprinting-are universal synthetic antibodies realistically possible Chem Commun 1:5–14. , .
- 2006. Development and optimization of an analytical method for the determination of Sudan dyes in hot chilli pepper by high-performance liquid chromatography with on-line electrogenerated BrO− luminals chemiluminescence detection. J Chromatogr A 1129:34–40. , , .
- 2001. Hydrophilic cholesterol-binding molecular imprinted polymers. Tetrahedron Lett 42:1839–41. , , .
- 2004. Flow chemiluminescence sensor for determination of clenbuterol based on molecularly imprinted polymer. Anal Chim Acta 523:237–42. , , , , , .