True Density and Apparent Density During the Drying Process for Vegetables and Fruits: A Review
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 77, Issue 12, pages R146–R154, December 2012
How to Cite
Rodríguez-Ramírez, J., Méndez-Lagunas, L., López-Ortiz, A. and Torres, S. S. (2012), True Density and Apparent Density During the Drying Process for Vegetables and Fruits: A Review. Journal of Food Science, 77: R146–R154. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2012.02990.x
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
- MS 20120832 Submitted 16/6/2012, Accepted 11/9/2012.
- 1999. Microstructural principles of food processing and engineering. London and New York : Elsevier Applied Science. 450 p. , .
- 2011. Measurement or the water-diffusion coeficient, apparente density changes and shrinkage during the drying of eggplant (Solaum melongena). Intl J Food Prop 14(3):523–37. , , , .
- 2002. Structural changes in apple rings during convection air-drying with controlled temperature and humidity. J Agric Food Chem 50(11):3179–3185. , , , , .
- 2005. Bulk properties. In Food powders: Physical properties, processing, and functionality. New York, Boston, Dordrecht, London, Moscow : Springer. 372 p. , , , .
- 2006. Effect of material moisture content and temperature on the true density of foods. J Food Prop 9:109–25. , , , .
- 1986. Effects of temperature and composition on thermal properties of foods. In: Maguer ML, Jelen P, editors. Food engineering and process applications, Vol. 1: Transport phenomena. New York : Elsevier. p 93–101. , .
- 2000. Cyclic air temperature drying of guava pieces: effects on moisture and ascorbic acid contents. Food Bioprod Process 78:72–8. , , , , .
- 2002. Analytical study of cyclic temperature of drying. Effect on drying kinetics and product quality. J Food Eng 51:65–75. , , , , .
- 2002. The effects of dipping pretreatments on air-drying rates of the seedless grapes. J Food Eng 52(4):413–7. , .
- 1991. Physical properties of air-dried and freeze-dried chicken white meat. J Food Sci 56(3):611–5.
- 1948. A note on the true density, chemical composition, and structure of coals and cabonizes coals. Fuel 27:46–9.
- 2006. Influence of drying method on density and porosity of pears. Food Bioprod Process 84(C3):179–85.
- 1982. Food properties during freezing. Food Technol 36(2):92–6.
- 2003. Effect of polydextrose-substitution on the cell structure of the high-ratio cake system. LWT—Food Sci Technol 36(4):441–50. , , , .
- 1990. Relationships between mechanical properties and microstructure of porous foods. Part I. A review. In: Spiess WE, Schubert H, editors. Engineering and food, Vol. 1, physical properties and process control. London : Elsevier. p 352–60. , .
- 2001. Food processing operations modeling. In: Design and analysis. New York : Marcel Deker Inc. 347 p.
- 1993. Collapse of structure during drying of celery. Drying Technol 11(5):1005–23. , , .
- 1996. Development of porous structure during air drying of agricultural plant products. J Food Eng 29:167–83. , , .
- 1993. Porosity and pore size distribution of starch materials. J Food Eng 18:259–80. , .
- 2011. Developing novel 3d measurement techniques and prediction method for food density determination. Procedia Food Sci 1:483–91. , , , .
- 2009. A theoretical model and its experimental validation to predict the porosity as a function of shrinkage and collapse phenomena during drying. Food Res Int 42: 1122–1130. , , .
- 2010. A fundamental approach and its experimental validation to simulate density as a function of moisture content during drying processes. J Food Eng 97:177–87. , , .
- 2008. Modelling bulk density, porosity and shrinkage of quince during drying: the effect of drying method. J Food Eng 85:340–9. , , .
- 2005. Chemistry and chemical reactivity, Vol. 2. Beltmont , Calif. : Thomson Learning Inc. 1263 p. , , .
- 2000. Drying related properties of apple. Drying Technol 18(6):1251–67. , , , .
- 1997. Effect of drying method on shrinkage and porosity. Drying Technol 15(10):2441–58. , .
- 2000. Quality changes during drying of food materials. In: Mujumdar AS, editor. Drying technology in agriculture and food sciences. Enfield , N.H. : Science. 313 p. , .
- 2001. Structural properties of dehydrated products during rehydration. Intl J Food Sci Technol 36:529–38. , .
- 2005. Rehydration of dehydrated foods. Drying Technol 23:799–830. , .
- 1995. Volumetric shrinkage (collapse) in freeze-dried carbohydrates above their glass transition temperature. Food Res Intl 28(2):145–51. , .
- 1992. Quality of dehydrated cultivated mushrooms (agaricus bisporus): a comparison between different drying & freeze-drying processes. Lebensm-Wiss Technol 25:334–9. , , .
- 2011. True density prediction of dried garlic (Allium sativum, L.) by convection. XXXII Encuentro Nacional y 1er Congreso Internacional AMIDIQ. Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo. , .
- 2012. The effects of drying air temperature on the structural properties of garlic evaluated during the drying process. Intl J Food Prop. DOI: 10.1080/10942912.2011.599090. , , .
- 1983. Shrinkage, porosity and bulk density of foodstuffs at changing moisture contents. J Food Sci 48:1497–553. , , .
- 1994. Shrinkage, density and porosity of garlic during drying. J Food Eng 23:309–13. , , .
- 2007. A method for determination of porosity change from shrinkage curves of deformable materials. Drying Technol 25:621–8. , , , , .
- 1990. Density and porosity in drying starch materials. J Food Sci 55(5):1367–72. , .
- 2004. Modeling shrinkage during convective drying of food materials: a review. J Food Eng 61:373–86. , .
- 2007. Three-dimensional pore space quantification of apple tissue using X-ray computed microtomography. Planta 226:559–70. , , , , , .
- 1970. Physical properties of plant and animal materials (Vol. 1). New York : Gordon and Breach Science Publishers.
- 1980. Thermal Properties of Foods and Agricultural Materials. New York : Gordon and Breach Science Publishers. .
- 2000. Shrinkage of apple disks during drying by warm air convection and freeze drying. Drying Technol 18(1–2):279–94. , , .
- 2011. The influence of freeze drying condition on microstructural changes of food products. Procedia Food Sci 1:647–54. , , .
- 1997. Sorptional equilibrium and drying characteristics of garlic. J Food Eng 31:113–23. , .
- 1996. Density, shrinkage and porosity of calamari mantle meat during air drying in a cabinet dryer as a function of water content. J Food Eng 30:135–45. , , , , .
- 1995. Thermophysical properties of fresh and dried white onion slices. J Food Eng 24:149–64. , .
- 1998. Microencapsulation by spray drying. Drying Technol 16(6):1195–236.
- 2007. Influence of shelf temperature on pore formation in garlic during freeze drying. J Food Eng 80:68–79. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effect of pH and salt concentration on the solubility and density of egg yolk and plasma egg yolk. Lebensm- Wiss-Technol 40:1253–8. , , , , , .
- 2004. Shrinkage and density evolution during drying of tropical fruits: application to banana. J Food Eng 64:103–9. , , , .
- 2009. Potential use of 3-dimensional scanners for food process modeling. J Food Eng 93:337–43. , .
- 1995. A possible revision of the results of a model for moisture transport in partially saturated porous media. Drying Technol 8–9(13):2227–31. .
- 1995. Changes in structure, density and porosity of potato during dehydration. J Food Eng 24:61–76. , .
- 1994. Densities, shrinkage and porosity of some vegetables during air drying. Drying Technol 12:1653–66. , , .