Evaluation Antibacterial Activity of Quaternary-Based Chitin/Chitosan Derivatives In Vitro
Article first published online: 9 JAN 2013
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue 1, pages M90–M97, January 2013
How to Cite
Geng, X., Yang, R., Huang, J., Zhang, X. and Wang, X. (2013), Evaluation Antibacterial Activity of Quaternary-Based Chitin/Chitosan Derivatives In Vitro. Journal of Food Science, 78: M90–M97. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2012.02999.x
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 9 JAN 2013
- MS 20121102 Submitted 8/10/2012, Accepted 10/9/2012.
- 2009. Functional characterization of chitin and chitosan. Curr Chem Biol 3:203–30. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. New bioactive biomaterials based on quaternized chitosan. J Agric Food Chem 56:1582–8. , , , .
- 2012. Effect of molecular weight, acid, and plasticizer on the physicochemical and antibacterial properties of β-chitosan based films. J Food Sci 77:E127–36. , .
- 2010. In vitro activity of water-soluble quaternary chitosan chloride salt against E. coli. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 26:2089–92. , , , .
- 2006a. Antimicrobial activity of chitosan N-betainates. Carbohydr Polym 65:114–8. , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Synthesis of novel quaternary chitosan derivatives via N-Chloroacyl-6-O-triphenylmethylchitosans. Biomacromolecules 7:407–10. , , , , .
- 2012. Chitosan-based edible coatings for quality preservation of postharvest whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). J Food Sci 77:C491–5. , , , .
- 2001. Synthesis and antibacterial activities of quaternary ammonium salt of chitosan. Carbohydr Res 333:1–6. , , .
- 2011. Antibacterial activity of the plant-derived compounds 23-Methyl-6-O-desmethylauricepyrone and (Z,Z)-5-(Trideca-4,7-dienyl) resorcinol and their Synergy with antibiotics against methicillin-susceptible and -resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Agric Food Chem 59: 11534–42. , , , .
- 2011. Symmetric pH-dependent swelling and antibacterial properties of chitosan brushes. Langmuir 27: 12458–65. , , , , .
- 2011. A polycationic antimicrobial and biocmpatible hydrogel with microbe membrane suctioning ability. Nat Mater 10:149–56. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Application of a fiber-reactive chitosan derivative to cotton fabric as an antimicrobial textile finish. Carbohydr Polym 56:227–34. , .
- 2012. Iodine-stabilized Cu nanoparticle chitosan composite for antibacterial applications. ACS Appl Mater Interf 4:1313–23. , , , , , .
- 2009. Trimethyl chitosan and its applications in drug delivery. J Mater Sci Mater Med 20:1057–79. , .
- 1999. Modification of polyacrylonitrile (PAN) fiber by blending with N-(2-hydroxy)propyl-3-trimethylammonium chitosan chloride. J Appl Polym Sci 74:2258–65. , , .
- 2002. Antibacterial activities of chitosans and chitosan oligomers with different molecular weights on spoilage bacteria isolated from Tofu. J Food Sci 67:1511–4. , , , , .
- 2007. Applications of chitosan for improvement of quality and shelf life of foods: a review. J Food Sci 72:R87–100. , , , .
- 2004. Preparation and antibacterial activity of chitosan nanoparticles. Carbohydr Res 339:2693–2700. , , , , .
- 2004. Calorimetric studies of the action of chitosan-N-2-hydroxypropyl trimethyl ammonium chloride on the growth of microorganisms. Int J Biol Macromol 34:121–6. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Chitosan chemistry and pharmaceutical perspectives. Chem Rev 104:6017–84. , , , , .
- 2007. Antibacterial activity of methylated chitosan and chitooligomer derivatives: synthesis and structure activity relationships. Euro Polym J 43:2660–71. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial effects of trimethylated and triethylated 6-NH2–6-Deoxy chitosan. J Bioact Compat Polym 23:262–75. , , , , , .
- 2008. Antibacterial activity of ozone-depolymerized crawfish chitosan. J Food Sci 73:M400–4. , , , .
- 1999. Food applications of chitin and chitosans. Trends Food Sci Technol 10: 37–51. , , .
- 2011. Chitosan augments photodynamic inactivation of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Antimicr Agents Chemother 55:1883–90. , , , , .
- 2009. A novel biopolymer/rectorite nanocomposite with antimicrobial activity. Carbohydr Polym 77:449–56. , , , , , .
- 2010. Synthesis, characteristic and antibacterial activity of N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan and its carboxymethyl derivatives. Carbohydr Polym 81:931–6. , , , , .
- 2011. Synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activity of N,O-quaternary ammonium chitosan. Carbohydr Res 346:2445–50. , , , , , .
- 2007. Polyelectrolyte complexes between (cross-linked) N-carboxyethylchitosan and (quaternized) poly[2-(dimethylamino)ethyl methacrylate]: Preparation, characterization, and antibacterial properties. Biomacromolecules 8: 976–84. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Synthesis and characteristics of chitin and chitosan with the [(2-Hydroxy-3-trimethylammonium)propyl] functionality, and evaluation of their antioxidant activity in vitro. Carbohydr Polym 89:486–91. , , , , .