Some of the material in this manuscript was presented at the WRC/PMOD “One Century of UV Radiation Research” meeting in Davos, Switzerland, September 18–20, 2007.
UV Radiation: Balancing Risks and Benefits†
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation. The American Society of Photobiology
Photochemistry and Photobiology
Volume 85, Issue 1, pages 88–98, January/February 2009
How to Cite
McKenzie, R. L., Liley, J. B. and Björn, L. O. (2009), UV Radiation: Balancing Risks and Benefits. Photochemistry and Photobiology, 85: 88–98. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-1097.2008.00400.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
- Received 12 December 2007, accepted 13 May 2008
- 1WHO (2002) Global Solar UV Index: A Practical Guide. World Health Organisation (WHO), World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), and International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNRP), Geneva.
- 2WMO (2007) Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2006. World Meteorological Organisation Global Research and Monitoring Project, Report No. 50, Geneva.
- 3UNEP (2007) Environmental effects of ozone depletion and its interactions with climate change: 2006 assessment. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 6, 201–332.
- 52003) Surface ultraviolet radiation: Past and future. In Chapter 5 of WMO Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2002 (Edited by A.-L.Ajavon, N. D. L.Albritton, G.Megie and R. T.Watson). World Meteorological Organization, Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project, Report No. 47, Geneva., , , , , , , , , and (
- 62007) Climatology of UV-A, UV-B, and Erythemal Radiation at the Earth’s Surface, 1979-2000. NCAR Technical Note TN-474+ STR, pp. 52. NCAR, Boulder, CO.and (
- 72006) Where on Earth has the highest UV? In UV Radiation and its Effects: An Update (Edited by R. L.McKenzie and E.Davis for NIWA and RSNZ), pp. 36–37. Royal Society of New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand. Available at: http://www.niwascience.co.nz/rc/atmos/uvconference. Accessed on 10 June 2008.and (
- 142007) Seasonal variation in vitamin D levels in the Canterbury population in relation to available UV radiation. NZ Med. J. 120(1262): http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/120-1262/2733/ ., , , , and (
- 251987) A reference action spectrum for ultra-violet induced erythema in human skin. In Human Exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation: Risks and Regulations (Edited by W. F.Passchier and B. F. M.Bosnajakovic), pp. 83–87. Elsevier, Amsterdam.and (
- 262006) Action Spectrum for the Production of Previtamin D3 in Human Skin. UDC: 612.014.481-06, CIE, Vienna., , , , , , and (
- 281995) Theoretical estimation of biologically effective UV radiation at the earth’s surface In Solar Ultraviolet Radiation (Edited by C. S.Zerefos and A. F.Bais), pp. 23–48. NATO Series I: Advanced Study Institute. Springer, Berlin.and (
- 302007) UV radiation climatology and trends (Invited presentation). In One Century of UV Radiation Research (Edited by J.Grobner), pp. 13–14. PMOD/WRC, Davos, Switzerland.(
- 372006) Clarifying the vitamin D controversy: The health benefits of supplementation by diet versus sunshine. In Skin Aging, Edited by B. A.Gilchrist and J.Krutmann), pp. 81–102. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg.and (
- 382002) Vitamin D: The underappreciated D-lightful hormone that is important for skeletal and cellular health. Curr. Opin. Endocrinol. Diab. 8, 87–98.(
- 39British Red Cross (2002) First Aid Manual: The Authorised Manual of St John Ambulance, St Andrew’s Ambulance Association of the British Red Cross. Dorling Kindersley, London.
- 421998) Skin Optics. Available at http://omlc.bme.ogi.edu/news/jan98/skinoptics.html. Accessed on 10 June 2008.(
- 552007) Personenbezogene Messung der UV-Exposition von Arbeitnehmern im Freien. Forschung Projekt F 1777, pp. 195. Bundesanstalt fur Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedian (BAUA), Dortmund/Berlin/Dresden., , and (
- 572003) The UV Advantage. I Books, New York.and (
- 58ANZS Standards Association of Australia and New Zealand (2002) Solaria for Cosmetic Purposes, pp. 14. AS/NZS 2635:2002, Wellington.