Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/authorresources/onlineopen.html
Generalist Genes: Genetic Links Between Brain, Mind, and Education
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2007
2007 International Mind, Brain, and Education Society and Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Mind, Brain, and Education
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 11–19, March 2007
How to Cite
Plomin, R., Kovas, Y. and Haworth, C. M. A. (2007), Generalist Genes: Genetic Links Between Brain, Mind, and Education. Mind, Brain, and Education, 1: 11–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-228X.2007.00002.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2007
- 2005). The Personalized Medicine Coalition: Goals and strategies. American Journal of Pharmacogenomics, 5, 345–355. , , & . (
- 1997). Variations on a theme: Cataloguing human DNA sequence variation. Science, 278, 1580–1581. , , & . (
- 2006). Genetics of intelligence. European Journal of Human Genetics, 14, 690–700. , , & . (
- 2005). A global view of pleiotropy and phenotypically derived gene function in yeast. Molecular Systems Biology, 1, 2005. , , , , & . (
- 2006). Tangled webs: Tracing the connections between genes and cognition. Cognition, 101, 270–297. . (
- 2006). Genes, cognition and dyslexia: Learning to read the genome. Trends in Cognitive Science, 10, 250–257. , & . (
- 2005). Synapse proteomics of multiprotein complexes: En route from genes to nervous system diseases. Human Molecular Genetics, 14, R225–R234. , , , , & . (
- 2003). An integrative neuroscience program linking genes to cognition and disease. In R.Plomin, J. C.DeFries, I. W.Craig, & P.McGuffin (Eds.), Behavioral genetics in the postgenomic era (pp. 123–138). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. . (
- 2001). DNA microarray gene expression analysis technology and its application to neurological disorders. Neurology, 57, 755–761. . (
- 2005). A conservative meta-analysis of linkage and linkage-association studies of developmental dyslexia. Scientific Studies of Reading, 9, 285–316. . (
- 1997). Comorbidity of mathematics and reading deficits: Evidence for a genetic etiology. Behavior Genetics, 27, 447–453. , , & . (
- 2005). ‘Generalist genes’ and mathematics in 7-year-old twins. Intelligence, 5, 473–489. , , , & . (
- The genetic and environmental origins of learning abilities and disabilities in the early school years. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development. , , , & . (in press).
- Mathematical ability of 10-year-old boys and girls: Genetic and environmental etiology of normal and low performance. Journal of Learning Disabilities. , , , & . (in press).
- 2006). Generalist genes: Implications for cognitive sciences. Trends in Cognitive Science, 10, 198–203. , & . (
- 2006). Breakthroughs in the search for dyslexia candidate genes. Trends in Molecular Medicine, 12, 333–341. , , & . (
- 2004). A twin study of teacher-reported mathematics performance and low performance in 7-year-olds. Journal of Educational Psychology, 96, 504–517. , , , , , , , , & . (
- Twins Early Development Study (TEDS): A multivariate, longitudinal genetic investigation of language, cognition and behaviour problems from childhood through adolescence. Twin Research and Human Genetics. , & . (in press).
- 2002). The case for general intelligence: A behavioral genetic perspective. In R. J.Sternberg & E. L.Grigorenko (Eds.), The general factor of intelligence: How general is it? (pp. 281–298). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. . (
- 2005). Finding genes in child psychology and psychiatry: When are we going to be there? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 46, 1030–1038. . (
- 2006). The quest for quantitative trait loci associated with intelligence. Intelligence, 34, 513–526. , , & . (
- 2005). Generalist genes and learning disabilities. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 592–617. , & . (
- Brain, mind, and education: Genetic links. In K. W.Fischer & T.Katzir (Eds.), Towards usable knowledge in mind, brain, and education. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , & . (in press-a).
- Learning abilities and disabilities: Generalist genes, specialist environments. Current Directions in Psychological Science. , & . (in press-b).
- 2003). Genetics and educational psychology. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 73, 3–14. , & . (
- 2001). The heritability of language: A review and metaanalysis of twin, adoption and linkage studies. Language, 77, 647–723. . (
- 2004). A gene atlas of the mouse and human protein-encoding transcriptomes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 101, 6062–6067. , , , , , , , , , , et al. (
- 1991). Associations between cognitive abilities and scholastic achievement: Genetic overlap but environmental differences. Psychological Science, 2, 158–165. Direct Link:, , & . (
- 1999). Test of word reading efficiency. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed. , , & . (
- 2005). Investigation of protein functions through data-mining on integrated human transcriptome database, H-Invitational database (H-InvDB). Gene, 364, 99–107. , , , , , , , , , .,et al. (