Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/authorresources/onlineopen.html
Reading and Generalist Genes
Article first published online: 7 DEC 2007
2007 International Mind, Brain, and Education Society and Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Mind, Brain, and Education
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 173–180, December 2007
How to Cite
Haworth, C. M. A., Meaburn, E. L., Harlaar, N. and Plomin, R. (2007), Reading and Generalist Genes. Mind, Brain, and Education, 1: 173–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-228X.2007.00018.x
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 7 DEC 2007
- 2005). The Personalized Medicine Coalition: Goals and strategies. American Journal of Pharmacogenomics, 5, 345–355. , , & . (
- 2005). Molecular genetic studies of ADHD: 1991 to 2004. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 132, 109–125. , , , & . (
- 1994). Quantitative trait locus for reading disability on chromosome 6. Science, 266, 276–279. , , , , , & . (
- Department for Education and Skills. (2002). Special educational needs in England: January, 2002 Bulletin. Issue 10/02, 1–54.
- Diabetes Genetics Initiative of Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, et al. (2007). Genome-wide association analysis identifies loci for type 2 diabetes and triglyceride levels. Science, 316, 1331–1336.
- 2006). Genes, cognition and dyslexia: Learning to read the genome. Trends in Cognitive Science, 10, 250–257. , & . (
- 2005). Telephone testing and teacher assessment of reading skills in 7-year-olds: II. Strong genetic overlap. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 18, 401–423. , , & . (
- 2005). Reading and general cognitive ability: A multivariate analysis of 7-year-old twins. Scientific Studies of Reading, 9, 197–218. , , & . (
- 2007). Developmental origins of low mathematics performance and normal variation in twins from 7 to 9 years. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 10, 106–117. , , , & . (
- 2005). Assessment and early instruction of preschool children at risk for reading disability. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97, 687–704. , , , ., ., & . (
- 2005). Genome-wide association studies for common diseases and complex traits. Nature Reviews Genetics, 6, 95–108. , & . (
- 2004). From research to policy to practice: Prescription for success for students with learning disabilities. Journal of Child Neurology, 19, 836–839. . (
- 2007). The genetic and environmental origins of learning abilities and disabilities in the early school years. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 72, 1–144. , , , & . (
- 2006). Generalist genes: Implications for cognitive sciences. Trends in Cognitive Science, 10, 198–203. , & . (
- 1972). McCarthy Scales of Children’s Abilities. New York: The Psychological Corporation. . (
- QTL association scan of early reading disability and ability using pooled DNA and 100K SNP microarrays in a sample of 5,500 children. Molecular Psychiatry. , , , , & . (in press).
- 2007). Twins Early Development Study (TEDS): A multivariate, longitudinal genetic investigation of language, cognition and behavior problems from childhood through adolescence. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 10, 96–105. , & . (
- 2007). Introduction to the special issue on genes, environment and reading. Reading and Writing, 20, 1–11. . (
- 2007). The genetic lexicon of dyslexia. Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics, 8, 57–79. , , & . (
- 2002). Testing cognitive abilities by telephone in a sample of 6-to 8-year olds. Intelligence, 30, 353–360. , , , & . (
- 2005). Finding genes in child psychology and psychiatry: When are we going to be there? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 46, 1030–1038. . (
- Behavioral genetics (5th ed.). New York: Worth. , , , & . (in press).
- 2005). Generalist genes and learning disabilities. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 592–617. , & . (
- 2007). Generalist genes: Genetic links between brain, mind and education. Mind, Brain, & Education, 1, 11–19. , , & . (
- 1994). The genetic basis of complex human behaviors. Science, 264, 1733–1739. , , & . (
- 2007). Microarrays. Developmental Science, 10, 19–23. , & . (
- 2003). Genetics and educational psychology. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 73, 3–14. , & . (
- 2007). Genetics and neuroscience in dyslexia: Perspectives for education and remediation. Mind, Brain, & Education, 1, 162–172. , , , , , & . (
- 2006). Gene sequencing. The race for the $1000 genome. Science, 311, 1544–1546. . (
- 1986). Guide for administering and scoring the fourth edition: Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale. Chicago: Riverside. , , & . (
- 2004). Nature, nurture and academic achievement: A twin study of teacher ratings of 7-year-olds. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 74, 323–342. , , , & . (
- 1992). Wechsler intelligence scale for children—Third edition UK (WISC-IIIUK) manual. London: The Psychological Corporation. . (
- Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium. (2007). Genome-wide association study of 14,000 cases of seven common diseases and 3,000 shared controls. Nature, 447, 661–678.
- 2007). A comprehensive analysis of common copy-number variations in the human genome. American Journal of Human Genetics, 80, 91–104. , , , , , ., et al. (