Effect of Socioeconomic Status on Food Availability and Cost of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Dietary Pattern
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
2008 Le Jacq
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 10, Issue 8, pages 603–611, August 2008
How to Cite
Young, C. M., Batch, B. C. and Svetkey, L. P. (2008), Effect of Socioeconomic Status on Food Availability and Cost of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Dietary Pattern. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 10: 603–611. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7176.2008.08199.x
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript received December 12, 2007; revised March 31, 2008; accepted April 21, 2008
- 1World Health Report 2002: Reducing risks, promoting healthy life. http://www.who.int/whr/2002. Accessed January 26, 2006.
- 10Massachusetts Community Health Information Profile (MassCHIP), Massachusetts Department of Public Health, “Census 2000 (SF3) Sample Data: Education”, “Census 2000 (SF3 Sample Data: Employment” and “Census 2000 (SF3) Sample Data: Income and Poverty Status” Version 3.00 r313. Query ran on January 7, 2006 and Massachusetts Community Health Information Profile (MassCHIP), Massachusetts Department of Public Health, “Population File: Single Race/Multiple Race Detailed” Version 3.00 r313. Query ran on January 17, 2006.
- 11Yellow Book Greater Boston. 20062007.
- 12Yahoo! Yellow Pages. http://;yp.yahoo.com. Accessed February 17, 2006.
- 13Rand McNally “Boston” Local Map. 2003.
- 14National Institutes of Health. The DASH Diet. NIH Publication No. 01–4082. 1998.
- 15Diet-and blood pressure-related knowledge, attitudes, and hypertension prevalence among African-Americans: the KDBP Study. Knowledge of Diet and Blood Pressure. Ethn Dis. 2002;12(1):S1-72–S1-82., , , et al.
- 16Do the Poor Pay More for Food? Item Selection and Price Differences Affect Low-Income Household Food Costs. Food and Rural Economics Division, Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Economic Report No. 759, December 1997., , , et al.
- 17U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. Higher Income Before Taxes: Shares of Average Annual Expenditures and Sources of Income, Consumer Expenditure Survey, 2005; Table 1. http://www.bls.gov/cex/. Accessed March 27, 2008.