J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2010;12:693–697. ©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Left ventricular transient dilatation (TD) during stress myocardial perfusion imaging has been associated with extensive and severe coronary artery disease (CAD). The authors investigated the clinical predictors of TD in patients with nonsignificant CAD. The authors retrospectively studied 134 consecutive patients with exercise (n=59) or dipyridamole (n=75) stress-induced TD who had undergone coronary angiography within 6 months of the test. Significant CAD was defined as diameter stenosis ≥70% in at least one major coronary artery, and significant left main disease as >50% diameter stenosis. Angiographically-significant CAD was found in 126 patients (94%), and nonsignificant CAD in the remaining 8 patients (6%). No differences in gender, history of smoking, hyperlipidemia, family history of CAD, body mass index, and left ventricular ejection fraction were found between patients with significant and nonsignificant CAD. All 8 nonsignificant CAD patients had a history of either hypertension (7/8) or electrocardiographic criteria for left ventricular hypertrophy (1/8), compared with 58% of the hypertensive patients in the significant CAD group (P=.02). Nonsignificant CAD patients were also characterized by lack of diabetes mellitus (P=.05) or prior myocardial infarction (P=.05). Hypertension seems to be an important clinical predictor of TD in patients with nonsignificant CAD.