Actions Taken to Reduce Sodium Intake Among Adults With Self-Reported Hypertension: HealthStyles Survey, 2005 and 2008
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 12, Issue 10, pages 793–799, October 2010
How to Cite
Ayala, C., Tong, X., Valderrama, A., Ivy, A. and Keenan, N. (2010), Actions Taken to Reduce Sodium Intake Among Adults With Self-Reported Hypertension: HealthStyles Survey, 2005 and 2008. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 12: 793–799. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7176.2010.00340.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Manuscript received February 1, 2010; accepted March 21, 2010
- 3Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium Chloride, and Sulfate. 1st ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2004.
- 4National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee, et al. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC7 report. JAMA. 2003;289:2560–2572., , ,
- 5Hypertension awareness, treatment, and control–continued disparities in adults: United States 2005–2006. NCHS Data Brief. 2008;3:1–8., , , et al.
- 6U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 6th ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2005. http://www.health.gov/dietary guidelines/dga2005/document/pdf/DGA2005.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2009.
- 7Application of lower sodium intake recommendations to adults – United States, 1999–2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:281–283., , , et al.
- 8U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2008. What We Eat in America. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17041. Accessed August 15, 2009.
- 9U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010 (conference edition, in 2 vols). Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2000. http://www.health.gov/healthypeople. Accessed August 15, 2009.
- 10Deaths: final data for 2005. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2008;56(10):1–120., , , et al.
- 14Prevalence of actions to control high blood pressure – 20 states, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56:420–423., , , et al.
- 18Effects of weight loss and sodium reduction intervention on blood pressure and hypertension incidence in overweight people with high-normal blood pressure. The Trials of Hypertension Prevention phase II. The Trials of Hypertension Prevention Collaborative Research Group. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:657–667.