Sodium Consumption Among Hypertensive Adults Advised to Reduce Their Intake: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004
Version of Record online: 26 APR 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 447–454, July 2012
How to Cite
Ayala, C., Gillespie, C., Cogswell, M., Keenan, N. L. and Merritt, R. (2012), Sodium Consumption Among Hypertensive Adults Advised to Reduce Their Intake: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 14: 447–454. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7176.2012.00632.x
- Issue online: 2 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 APR 2012
- Manuscript received: September 6, 2011; Revised: January 30, 2012; Accepted: February 3, 2012
- 1Vital signs: prevalence, treatment and control of hypertension – United States, 1999–2002 and 2005–2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60(4):103–108., , , et al.
- 8US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010, 2nd edn. With Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health, 2 vols. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2000. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2010. Accessed March 25, 2011.
- 9US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Nutrition and Our Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 4th edn. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 1995.
- 10US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, 7th edn. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2010.
- 11US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. What We Eat in America (WWEIA), NHANES Tables 1–36. Washington, DC: USDA; 2010. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=18349. Accessed July 31, 2011.
- 12Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride and Sulfate. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine of the National Academies; 20042005.
- 16Prevalence of self-reported hypertension, advice received from health care professionals, and actions taken to reduce blood pressure among US adults – HealthStyles, 2008. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2010;12:784–792., , , et al.
- 17National Center for Health Statistics. Division of Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Laboratory Procedures Used for the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988–1994. Hyattsville, MD. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes3/cdrom/nchs/manuals/labman.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2011.
- 18National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. National Center for Health Statistics, Data Dissemination Branch. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/EnglishFactContinous040002.pdf. Accessed September 1, 2004.
- 19US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Product & Services. FNDDS (Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies). http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/docs.htm?docid=12089. Updated August 12, 2010. Accessed April 23, 2011.
- 20North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. 1998. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_b.pdf. Accessed September 24, 2004.
- 21World Health Organization. Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. WHO Technical Report Series 854. Geneva: WHO; 1995.
- 24Dietary assessment methodology. In: Coulston A, Boushey C, eds. Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 2nd edn. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2008:1–39., .
- 28Institute of Medicine. Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake in the United States. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine of the National Academies; 2010. http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Strategies-to-Reduce-Sodium-Intake-in-the-United-States.aspx. Accessed July 31, 2011.