Wind-driven monthly variations in transport and the flow field in the Faroe–Shetland Channel
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2007
© 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 7–22, April 2008
How to Cite
Sherwin, T. J., Hughes, S. L., Turrell, W. R., Hansen, B. and Østerhus, S. (2008), Wind-driven monthly variations in transport and the flow field in the Faroe–Shetland Channel. Polar Research, 27: 7–22. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-8369.2007.00036.x
- Issue online: 4 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2007
- 1977. The mean seasonal variation in the transport of Atlantic Water through the Faroe–Shetland Channel. Department of Geophysics Report 28 .
- 1987. Principles of ocean physics. London: Academic Press.
- 1983. Eigenanalysis of recent United States sea levels. Continental Shelf Research 2, 21–33. &
- 1981. Circulation and water masses in the Faroese Channels during Overflow ‘73. Deutsche Hydrographische Zeitschrift 34, 41–54. &
- 1968. The analysis of tides. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.
- 1987. Storm-driven continental shelf waves over the Scottish continental shelf. Continental Shelf Research 7, 1015–1048. &
- 2000. Seasonal variations in the Atlantic Water inflow to the Nordic seas. Paper presented at the ICES Annual Science Conference, Bruges, CM2000/L:03. , , &
- 2000. North Atlantic–Nordic seas exchanges. Progress in Oceanography 45, 109–208. &
- 2003. The Iceland–Faroe inflow of Atlantic Water to the Nordic seas. Progress in Oceanography 59, 443–474. , , , &
- 2004. Solibore-induced sediment resuspension in the Faeroe–Shetland Channel. Geophysical Research Letters 31(9), L09301, 10.1029/2004GL019544. , &
- 2004. Long term measurements of currents in the Faroe Shetland Channel (1994–2002). FRS Collaborative Report no 01/05. Aberdeen: Fisheries Research Services. , , &
- 2006. Fluxes of Atlantic Water (volume, heat and salt) in the Färoe–Shetland Channel calculated from a decade of acoustic Doppler current profiler data (1994–2005). FRS Collaborative Report 01/06. Aberdeen: Fisheries Research Services. , , &
- 1984. Slope currents and “JEBAR. Journal of Physical Oceanography 14, 795–810.
- 2002. Wind stress forcing of the ocean in the SOC climatology: comparisons with the NCEP-NCAR, ECMWF, UWM/COADS, and Hellerman and Rosenstein datasets. Journal of Physical Oceanography 32, 1993–2019. , &
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77, 437–470. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Holocene climate variability. Quaternary Research 62, 243–255. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- Composite front maps for improved visibility of dynamic sea-surface features on cloudy SeaWiFS and AVHRR data. Journal of Marine Systems. in press.
- 1998. Subtidal energetics in the Faroe–Shetland Channel: coarse-grid model experiment. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 103 (C6), 12689–12708.
- 2007. North Atlantic–Arctic Mediterranean exchanges in an ensemble hindcast experiment. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 112 (C4), C04011, 10.1029/2006JC003719. &
- 1980. Currents driven by a steady uniform wind stress on the shelf seas around the British Isles. Oceanologica Acta 3, 227–236. &
- 2002. The Faroe–Shetland Gateway: Late Quaternary water mass exchange between the Nordic seas and the northeastern Atlantic. Marine Geology 188, 165–192. , , , , , , , , &
- 1991. Evidence of a deep internal tide in the Faroe–Shetland Channel. In B.B.Parker (ed.): Tidal hydrodynamics. Pp. 469–488. New York: John Wiley.
- 1999. Eddies and a mesoscale deflection of the slope current in the Faroe–Shetland Channel. Deep-Sea Research I 46, 415–438. , , &
- 2006. A description and analysis of mesoscale variability in the Faroe–Shetland Channel. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 111 (C3), C03003, 10.1029/2005JC002867. , , , &
- 2004. Monthly to annual variability of the Norwegian Atlantic slope current: connection between the northern North Atlantic and the Norwegian Sea. Deep Sea Research I 51, 349–366. .
- 1957. Hydrography of the Faroe–Shetland Channel 1927–1952. Marine Research 2 . Edinburgh: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.
- 2003. Hydrographic variability during the decade of the 1990s in the northeast Atlantic and southern Norwegian Sea. ICES Marine Science Symposia 219, 111–120. , , &
- 1999. Direct observations of inflow to the Nordic seas through the Faroe Shetland Channel. Paper presented at ICES Annual Science Conference, Stockholm, CM 1999/L:01. , , , , &