Contrasting climate change in the two polar regions
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2009
© 2009 the authors, journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 28, Issue 2, pages 146–164, August 2009
How to Cite
Turner, J. and Overland, J. (2009), Contrasting climate change in the two polar regions. Polar Research, 28: 146–164. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-8369.2009.00128.x
- Issue published online: 24 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2009
- 2006. Trends and variability in the hydrological regime of the Mackenzie River Basin. Journal of Hydrology 319, 282–294. &
- 2002. Coherent sea level response to the Antarctic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 29, article no. 1950, doi: 10.1029/2002GL015733.
- 2006. Contributions of external forcings to Southern Annular Mode trends. Journal of Climate 19, 2896–2905. &
- 2001. Annular modes in global daily surface pressure. Geophysical Research Letters 28, 4115–4118.
- 2006. Greenland ice sheet surface mass balance variability (1988–2004) from calibrated polar MM5 output. Journal of Climate 19, 2783–2800. , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Antarctic climate change over the twenty first century. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 113, D03103, doi: 10.1029/2007JD008933. , &
- 2004. Yearly mean temperature for selected meteorological stations in Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland: 1873–2003. Technical Report 04–07. Copenhagen: Danish Meteorological Institute.
- 2007. A synthesis of Antarctic temperatures. Journal of Climate 20, 4096–4117. &
- 2007. Trends in the sea ice cover using enhanced and compatible AMSR-E, SSM/I and SMMR data. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 113, C02S07, doi: 10.1029/2007JC004257. &
- 2005. Retreating glacier fronts on the Antarctic Peninsula over the past half-century. Science 308, 541–544. , , &
- 2005. Snowfall-driven growth in East Antarctic ice sheet mitigates recent sea-level rise. Science 308, 1898–1901. , , , &
- 2005. Characteristics and trends of river discharge into Hudson, James, and Ungava bays, 1964–2000. Journal of Climate 18, 2540–2557. , , &
- 1988. The "Great Salinity Anomaly" in the northern North Atlantic 1968–1982. Progress in Oceanography 20, 103–151. , , &
- 1985. Large losses of total ozone in Antarctica reveal seasonal CClOx/NOx interaction. Nature 315, 207–210. , &
- 2002, updated 2009. Sea Ice Index, 16 October 2007. Boulder, CO: National Snow and Ice Data Center. Digital media. Available at http://nsidc.org/news/press/2007_seaiceminimum/images/20071017_extent.png. , , &
- 2006. Decadal variability of the ENSO teleconnection to the high latitude South Pacific governed by coupling with the Southern Annular Mode. Journal of Climate 19, 979–997. &
- 2006. Southern Ocean warming due to human influence. Geophysics Research Letters 33, L19701, doi: 10.1029/2006GL027247.
- 1999. The Arctic and Antarctic oscillations and their projected changes under global warming. Geophysics Research Letters 26, 1601–1604. , &
- 2006. Simulated changes in the extratropical Southern Hemisphere winds and currents. Geophysics Research Letters 33, L06701, doi: 10.1029/2005GL025332. &
- 2008. Exploring Arctic transpolar drift during dramatic sea ice retreat. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 89, 21–28. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Warming of the Southern Ocean since the 1950s. Science 295, 1275–1277.
- 2003. Float observations of the Southern Ocean. Part 1. Estimating mean fields, bottom velocities and topographic steering. Journal of Physical Oceanography 33, 1167–1181.
- 2008. Decadal-scale temperature trends in the Southern Hemisphere Ocean. Journal of Climate 21, 4749–4765.
- 2009. Attribution of polar warming to human influence. Nature Geoscience 1, 760–764. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Simulation of recent Southern Hemisphere climate change. Science 302, 273–275. &
- 2002. Synchronous variability in the Southern Hemisphere atmosphere, sea ice, and ocean resulting from the Annular Mode. Journal of Climate 15, 3043–3057. &
- 2008. Increased run-off from melt from the Greenland Ice Sheet: a response to global warming. Journal of Climate 21(2), 331–341. , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Elevation changes in Antarctica mainly determined by accumulation variability. Science 320, 1626–1629. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Tropical origins for recent North Atlantic climate change. Science 292, 90–92. , &
- 2004. Twentieth century North Atlantic climate change. Part II. Understanding the effect of Indian Ocean warming. Climate Dynamics 23, 23 391–23 405. , , , &
- 2008. Eddy heat flux in the Southern Ocean: response to variable wind forcing. Journal of Climate 21, 608–620. , , &
- 2003. Coherence of Antarctic sea levels, Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode, and flow through Drake Passage. Geophysical Research Letters 30, article no. 1464, doi: 10.1029/2003GL017240. , , , , &
- 2002. Freshening of the Ross Sea during the late 20th century. Science 297, 386–389. , &
- 2004. Arctic climate change: observed and modelled temperature and sea-ice variability (vol. 56A, p. 328, 2004). Tellus Series A—Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 56, 328–341. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Antarctic atmospheric temperature trend patterns from satellite observations. Geophysics Research Letters 34, L12703, doi: 10.1029/2006GL029108. &
- 2003. Instrument- and tree-ring-based estimates of the Antarctic Oscillation. Journal of Climate 16, 3511–3524. &
- 2007. Is Antarctic climate most sensitive to ozone depletion in the middle or lower stratosphere? Geophysics Research Letters 34, L22812, doi: 10.1029/2007GL031238. , , , &
- 1999. Principal modes of Southern Hemisphere low-frequency variability obtained from NCEP-NCAR reanalyses. Journal of Climate 12, 2808–2830.
- 1994. Recent climate variability in the vicinity of the Antarctic Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 14, 357–369.
- 2000. Greenland ice sheet: high-elevation balance and peripheral thinning. Science 289, 428–430. , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Southern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation response to global warming. Journal of Climate 14, 2238–2249. , &
- 2007. Saturation of the Southern Ocean CO2 sink due to recent climate change. Science 316, 1735–1738. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. Warming of the world ocean, 1955–2003. Geophysics Research Letters 32, L02604, doi: 10.1029/2004GL021592. , &
- 2003. Trends in the Southern Annular Mode from observations and reanalyses. Journal of Climate 16, 4134–4143.
- 2006. The impact of a changing Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode on Antarctic Peninsula summer temperatures. Journal of Climate 19, 5388–5404. , , &
- 2004. Causes of exceptional atmospheric circulation changes in the Southern Hemisphere. Geophysics Research Letters 31, L14205, doi: 10.1029/2004GL019952. , , , , &
- 2006. Recent warming inconsistent with natural association between temperature and atmospheric circulation over the last 2000 years. Climate of the Past Discussions 2, 327–355. &
- 2007. Glaciers dominate eustatic sea-level rise in the 21st century. Science 317, 1064–1067. , , , , , , &
- 2006. Circumpolar response of Southern Ocean eddy activity to a change in the Southern Annular Mode. Geophysics Research Letters 33, L16608, doi: 10.1029/2006GL026499. &
- 2005. Climate change in the ocean to the west of the Antarctic Peninsula during the second half of the 20th century. Geophysics Research Letters 32, L19606, doi: 10.1029/2005GL024042. &
- 2004. Changes in the ocean transport through Drake Passage during the 1980s and 1990s, forced by changes in the Southern Annular Mode. Geophysics Research Letters 31, L21305, doi: 10.1029/2004GL021169. , , &
- 2008. Human-induced Arctic moistening. Science 320, 518–520. , &
- 2008. Advances in describing recent Antarctic climate variablity. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 89, 1295–1306. &
- 2008. Recent variability and trends of Antarctic near-surface temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 113, D04105, doi: 10.1029/2007JD009094. , , &
- 2006. Insignificant change in Antarctic snowfall since the International Geophysical Year. Science 313, 827–831. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Twentieth century Antarctic air temperature and snowfall simulations by IPCC climate models. Geophysics Research Letters 35, L07502, doi: 10.1029/2007GL032630. , &
- 2002. North Pole environmental observatory delivers early results. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 83, 357–361. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Rapid reduction of Arctic perennial sea ice. Geophysics Research Letters 34, L19504, doi: 10.1029/2007GL031138. , , , , &
- 2004. Oceanic response to changes in the latitude of the Southern Hemisphere subpolar westerly winds. Journal of Climate 17, 1040–1054. &
- 2004. Seasonal and regional variation of pan-Arctic surface air temperature over the instrumental record. Journal of Climate 17, 23 263–23 282. , , , &
- 2008. The recent Arctic warm period. Tellus Series A—Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 60, 589–597. , &
- 2008. Impact of stratospheric ozone hole recovery on Antarctic climate. Geophysics Research Letters 35, L08714, doi: 10.1029/2008GL033317. , , , &
- 2008. Increasing river discharge to the Arctic Ocean. Science 298, 2171–2173. , , , , , , &
- 2008. Southern Hemisphere synoptic behavior in extreme phases of SAM, ENSO, sea ice extent and southern Australia rainfall. Journal of Climate 21, 5566–5584. , , &
- 2002. Dependence of the structure of the Northern Hemisphere annular mode on the polarity of ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 29, 2132–2135. &
- 1999. Cooling of the Arctic and Antarctic polar stratospheres due to ozone depletion. Journal of Climate 12, 1467–1479. &
- 1998. Fast recession of a West Antarctic glacier. Science 281, 549–551.
- 2008. Recent Antarctic ice mass loss from radar interferometry and regional climate modelling. Nature Geoscience 1, 106–110. , , , , , &
- 2007. Rapid freshening of Antarctic Bottom Water formed in the Indian and Pacific oceans. Geophysics Research Letters 34, L06606, doi: 10.1029/2006GL028550.
- 2008. Did unusually sunny skies help drive the record sea ice minimum? Geophysics Research Letters 35, L10503, doi: 10.1029/2008GL033463. , , &
- 2000. Observational evidence of recent change in the northern high-latitude environment. Climate Change 46, 159–207. , , , , , , , &
- 2001. The effect of stratospheric ozone depletion on the phase of the Antarctic Oscillation. Geophysics Research Letters 28, 3697–3700.
- 2006. Pacific Ocean inflow: influence on catastrophic reduction of sea ice cover in the Arctic Ocean. Geophysics Research Letters 33, L08605, doi: 10.1029/2005GL025624. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Modes of atmospheric variability over the Southern Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 108, article no. 8078, doi: 10.1029/2000JC000542.
- 2008. Arctic climate change as manifest in cyclone behavior. Journal of Climate 21, 5777–5796. , &
- 1995. Relationships between the interannual variability of Antarctic sea ice and the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 8, 637–647. &
- 2007. Climate change 2007. The physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , & (eds.)
- 2008. Sea ice in the western Antarctic Peninsula region: spatio-temporal variability from ecological and climate change perspectives. Deep-Sea Research Part II 55, 2041–2058. , , &
- 2008. Trends in Antarctic annual sea ice retreat and advance and their relation to El Niño–Southern Oscillation and Southern Annular Mode variability. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 113, C03S90, doi: 10.1029/2007JC004269. , , , &
- 1998. Retreat of the cold halocline layer in the Arctic Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 103, 10 419–10 435. &
- 2008. Arctic Ocean surface warming trends over the past 100 years. Geophysics Research Letters 35, L02614, doi: 10.1029/2007GL031651. , &
- 2009. Warming of the Antarctic ice-sheet surface since the 1957 International Geophysical Year. Nature 457, 459–462. , , , , &
- 2001. Projection of climate change onto modes of atmospheric variability. Journal of Climate 14, 3551–3565. , &
- 2007. Arctic sea ice decline: faster than forecast. Geophysics Research Letters 34, L09501, doi: 10.1029/2007GL029703. , , , &
- 2008. Arctic sea ice extent plummets in 2007. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 89, 13. , , , , , , &
- 2008. Modelling Circumpolar Deep Water intrusions on the Amundsen Sea continental shelf, Antarctica. Geophysical Research Letters 35, L18602, doi: 10.1029/2008GL034939. , , &
- 2008. A doubling in snow accumulation in the western Antarctic Peninsula since 1850. Geophysics Research Letters 35, L01706, doi: 10.1029/2007GL032529. , &
- 2002. Interpretation of recent Southern Hemisphere climate change. Science 296, 895–899. &
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part I. Month-to-month variability. Journal of Climate 13, 1000–1016. &
- 2004. The El Niño–Southern Oscillation and Antarctica. International Journal of Climatology 24, 1–31.
- 2005. Antarctic climate change during the last 50 years. International Journal of Climatology 25, 279–294. , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Non-annular atmospheric circulation change induced by stratospheric ozone depletion and its role in the recent increase of Antarctic sea ice extent. Geophysics Research Letters 36, L08502, doi: 10.1029/2009GL037524. , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Significant warming of the Antarctic winter troposphere. Science 311, 1914–1917. , , , &
- 2004. Changes in Antarctic temperature, wind, and precipitation in response to the Antarctic Oscillation. Annals of Glaciology 39, 119–126. &
- 1999. Interpretation of winter warming on Northern Hemisphere continents in 1977–94. Journal of Climate 12, 2947–2955. &
- 2007. Oceanic heat transport onto the Amundsen Sea shelf through a submarine glacial trough. Geophysics Research Letters 34, L02602, doi: 10.1029/2006GL028154. , , , , &
- 2007. Intrinsic versus forced variation in coupled climate model simulations over the Arctic during the 20th century. Journal of Climate 20, 1093–1107. , , , , &
- 2004. ENSO-related impacts on Antarctic sea ice: a synthesis of phenomenon and mechanisms. Antarctic Science 16, 415–425.
- 2008. Climate modes in southern high latitudes and their impacts on Antarctic sea ice. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 113, C06S91, doi: 10.1029/2006JC004067. &
- 2000. Antarctic sea ice extent variability and its global connectivity. Journal of Climate 13, 1697–1717. &
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10, 1004–1020. , &
- 2007. A synoptic analysis of the interannual variability of winter cyclone activity in the Aleutian low region. Journal of Climate 20, 1523–1538. , , , &