Divorce in Research vs. Divorce in Media
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 707–720, July 2009
How to Cite
Rutter, V. E. (2009), Divorce in Research vs. Divorce in Media. Sociology Compass, 3: 707–720. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-9020.2009.00205.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
- Sociology Compass 3/4 (2009): 707–720, 10.1111/j.1751-9020.2009.00205.x
- 2008. ‘The Effect of Marital Breakup on the Income Distribution of Women and Children.’ Journal of Human Resources. Forthcoming. url: http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/4643/ Retrieved online June 24, 2008. and
- 1973. Outsiders: Studies in the Sociology of Deviance. New York, NY: The Free Press, pp. 147–153.
- 1991. ‘Longitudinal Studies of Effects of Divorce on Children in Great Britain and the U.S.’ Science 252: 1386–89. , , et al.
- 1998. ‘Effects of Parental Divorce on Mental Health through the Life Course,’ American Sociological Review 63, pp. 239–249. , and
- 2003. ‘The Social Construction of the Divorce “Problem”: Morality, Child Victims, and the Politics of Gender.’ Family Relations 52: 363–372. and
- 2007. ‘Matrimony Has Its Benefits, and Divorce Has a Lot to do With That.’ The New York Times April 19. url: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/business/19scene.html?emc=eta1 Retrieved online on June 20, 2008.
- 2008. ‘Divorce, Dads, and the Well-Being of Children: Answers to Common Research Questions.’ Research Brief #12, July. Washington, D.C.: Institute for American Values. url: http://center.americanvalues.org/?p=76 Retrieved online December 22, 2008.
- 1996. The Case for Same-Sex Marriage: From Sexual Liberty to Civilized Commitment. New York, NY: Free Press
- 2002. ‘Marriage, Poverty, and Public Policy.’ A briefing paper from the Council on Contemporary Families. url: http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/public/briefing.html (April). Retrieved online on June 24, 2008. and
- 2007. ‘Family Instability and Child Well-Being.’ American Sociological Review 72: 181–204. and
- 1999. ‘The Leveling of Divorce in the United States,’ Demography, 36: 409–414.
- 1994. What Predicts Divorce? Erlbaum: New Jersey.
- 1993a. ‘Depression: A Neglected Major Illness.’ Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 54: 419–424. , , and
- 1993b. ‘The Economic Burden of Depression in 1990.’ Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 54: 405–418. , , and
- 2005. ‘Unhappily Ever After: Effects of Long-Term, Low-Quality Marriages on Well-Being.’ Social Forces 84: 451–471. and
- 1988. ‘The Impact of Divorce.’ Keynote Address at the Annual Conference of American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. New Orleans, LA: October.
- 2002. For Better or For Worse: Divorce Reconsidered. New York, NY: W.W. Norton. and
- 1999. ‘Should We Stay Together for the Sake of the Children?’ Pp. 93–116 in Coping with Divorce, Single Parenting, and Remarriage: A Risk and Resiliency Perspective, edited by . Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 1997. ‘Divorce and the Adjustment of Children: A risk and resiliency perspective.’ Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry 40: 129–140. and
- 2008. Saving the Modern Soul: Therapy, Emotions, and the Culture of Self-Help. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 1988. ‘Marital Discord and Immunity in Males.’ Psychosomatic Medicine 50: 213–299. , , , , and
- 2007. ‘The Kids Are OK: Divorce and Children's Behavior Problems.’ RAND Labor and Population Working Paper No. WR-489. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
- 2008. ‘New findings on an old question: Does divorce cause children's behavior problems?’ A Briefing Paper from the Council on Contemporary Families. url: http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/public/briefing.html (April 24). Retrieved online June 24, 2008.
- 2008. ‘Stability and Change in Family Structure and Maternal Health Trajectories.’ American Sociological Review 73: 314–334. , and
- 2004. Huck's Raft: A History of American Childhood. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2007. ‘Partnership Instability and Child Well-Being.’ Journal of Marriage and Family 69: 1065–1083. and
- 1942. World Hypotheses: A Study in Evidence. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 2003. ‘The Physiology of Marriage: Pathways to Health.’ Physiology and Behavior 79: 409–16. and
- 1997. ‘The Rise of Divorce and Separation in the United States 1880–1990. Demography 34(4): 455–466.
- 2004. The Case for Divorce: Under What conditions is divorce beneficial and for whom? PhD thesis, University of Washington.
- 2008. The Taxpayer Costs of Divorce: First-Ever Estimates for the Nation and all Fifty States. New York, NY: Institute for American Values.
- 2006. ‘Bargaining in the Shadow of Divorce Laws and Family Distress.’ Quarterly Journal of Economics 121: 267–288. and
- 2002. ‘The Beck Depression Inventory as a Measure of Subjective Well-Being: A Cross-National Study.’ Journal of Happiness Studies 3(3): 257–286. , and
- 2004. World Database of Happiness: Continuous register of scientific research on subjective appreciation of life. Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Erasmus University. url: http://www2.eur.nl/fsw/research/happiness/.
- 2000. The Case for Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier and Better Off Financially. New York, NY: Doubleday. and
- 2002. Does Divorce Make People Happy? Findings From a Study of Unhappy Marriages. New York, NY: Institute for American Values. , , , , and
- 1989. ‘Children after Divorce.’ The New York Times January 22. url: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE2DF123BF931A15752C0A96F948260&sec=&spon=. Retrieved online June 20, 2008.
- 1988. Second Chances: Men, Women, and Children a Decade after Divorce: Who Wins, Who Loses, and Why. New York, NY: Ticknor & Fields. and