Serious Leisure and Work
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 764–774, September 2009
How to Cite
Stebbins, R. (2009), Serious Leisure and Work. Sociology Compass, 3: 764–774. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-9020.2009.00233.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
- 1990. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- 1971. ‘The Impact of Work on Leisure. Pacific Sociological Review 14: 313–27. and
- 19992000. ‘Work Careers and Serious Leisure: The Effects of Nonwork Commitment on Career Commitment. Leisure/Loisir 24: 115–38. .
- Statistics Canada 2001. Caring Canadians, Involved Canadians: Highlights From the 2000 National Survey of Giving, Volunteering, and Participating (Cat. No. 71-542-XIE). Ottawa, ON: Ministry of Industry, Government of Canada.
- 1979. Amateurs: On the Margin Between Work and Leisure. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- 1992. Amateurs, Professionals, and Serious Leisure. Montreal, QC and Kingston, ON: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- 1996. The Barbershop Singer: Inside the Social World of a Musical Hobby. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press.
- 2000. ‘The Extraprofessional Life: Leisure, Retirement, and Unemployment. Current Sociology 48: 1–27.
- 2001a. New Directions in the Theory and Research of Serious Leisure. Mellen Studies in Sociology, Vol. 28. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen. .
- 2001b. ‘Volunteering—Mainstream and Marginal: Preserving the Leisure Experience.’ Pp. 1–10 in Volunteering in Leisure: Marginal or Inclusive? (Vol. 75) edited by MargaretGraham and MalcolmFoley. Eastbourne, UK: Leisure Studies Association. .
- 2004a. Between Work and Leisure: The Common Ground of Two Separate Worlds. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers. .
- 2004b. ‘Pleasurable Aerobic Activity: A Type of Casual Leisure With Salubrious Implications. World Leisure Journal 46(4): 55–8.
- 2006. ‘Contemplation as Leisure and Nonleisure. Leisure Studies Association Newsletter 73: 21–3: http://www.soci.ucalgary.ca/seriousleisure—Digital Library in ‘Leisure Reflections No.11’. Accessed 28 May 2009.
- 2007a. Serious Leisure: A Perspective for Our Time. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers. .
- 2007b. ‘A Leisure-Based, Theoretic Typology of Volunteers and Volunteering. Leisure Studies Association Newsletter 78, 9–12: http://www.soci.ucalgary.ca/seriousleisure—Digital Library in ‘Leisure Reflections No.16’. Accessed 28 May 2009.
- 2009. Personal Decisions in the Public Square: Beyond Problem Solving Into a Positive Sociology. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers.
- 1930. ‘Amateur.’ Pp. 18–20 in Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (Vol. 2) edited by Edwin R.A.Seligman. New York, NY: Macmillan.
- 1980. ’The Nature of Social Worlds. Pacific Sociological Review 23: 271–96.