Shaifali Sandhya, PhD, is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Core Faculty, The Adler School of Professional Psychology.
The Social Context of Marital Happiness in Urban Indian Couples: Interplay of Intimacy and Conflict
Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
© 2009 American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 74–96, January 2009
How to Cite
Sandhya, S. (2009), The Social Context of Marital Happiness in Urban Indian Couples: Interplay of Intimacy and Conflict. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 35: 74–96. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-0606.2008.00103.x
This research was conducted as part of the author’s doctoral dissertation at The University of Chicago and funded by the Andrew Mellon Foundation, the Committee on South Asian Studies, and graduate fellowships from the Committee on Human Development (1997–2002).
The author thanks Nancy Stein, PhD, Froma Walsh, PhD, and the late Thomas Trabasso, PhD, for their encouragement and support. The author also thanks Drs. Bertram Cohler, Richard Taub, Edward Laumann, Marvin Zonis, and Vivian Skolnick for their comments and feedback during the preparation of the manuscript. Finally, the author is grateful to the couples for volunteering their time and insight towards this study.
- Issue published online: 29 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
This article has been cited by:
- 1Marital Adjustment Trend in Asian Indian Families, Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 2014, 13, 2, 114, ,
- 2Peace in the Household: Gender, Agency, and Villagers' Measures of Marital Quality in Bangladesh, Feminist Economics, 2014, 20, 4, 187,
- 3Romantic ideals, mate preferences, and anticipation of future difficulties in marital life: a comparative study of young adults in India and America, Frontiers in Psychology, 2014, 5,, , ,
- 4Adult Romantic Attachment and Couple Conflict Behaviors: Intimacy as a Multi-Dimensional Mediator, Interpersona: An International Journal on Personal Relationships, 2013, 7, 1, 26, , , ,
- 5Developing Culturally Competent Marriage and Family Therapists: Guidelines for Working With Asian Indian American Couples, The American Journal of Family Therapy, 2013, 41, 4, 311, , , ,
- 6Men’s Sexual Issues After Breast Cancer in Their Wives, Cancer Nursing, 2012, 35, 3, 236, , ,