Paper No. J06100 of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA).Discussions are open until October 1, 2008.
Modeling Streams and Hydrogeomorphic Attributes in Oregon From Digital and Field Data1
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2008
© 2008 American Water Resources Association. No claim to original U.S. government works
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 459–477, April 2008
How to Cite
Clarke, S. E., Burnett, K. M. and Miller, D. J. (2008), Modeling Streams and Hydrogeomorphic Attributes in Oregon From Digital and Field Data. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 44: 459–477. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00175.x
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2008
- Received July 26, 2006; accepted August 17, 2007.
- 2005. Predicting the Potential for Historical Coho, Chinook and Steelhead Habitat in Northern California, NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-379, 25 pp. , , , , , , , and ,
- 2000. Geomorphology, Hyporheic Exchange, and Selection of Spawning Habitat by Bull Trout (Salvelinus Confluentus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:1470-1481. and ,
- 2004. Confluence Effects in Rivers: Interactions of Basin Scale, Network Geometry, and Disturbance Regimes. Water Resources Research 40:1-15, W05402. doi: DOI: 10.1029/2003SR002583. , , , and ,
- 2005. A Hierarchical Spatial Framework for Forest Landscape Planning. Ecological Modelling 182:25-48. , , , and ,
- 2004. Salmonids on the Fringe: Abundance, Species Composition, and Habitat Use of Salmonids in High-Gradient Headwater Streams, Southeast Alaska. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 133(6):1529-1538. , , and ,
- 2002. Controls on the Size and Occurrence of Pools in Coarse-Grained Forest Rivers. River Research and Applications 18(6):507-531. , , , and ,
- 2001. Relationships Among Juvenile Anadromous Salmonids, Their Freshwater Habitat, and Landscape Characteristics Over Multiple Years and Spatial Scales in Elk River, Oregon. Ph.D. Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon. ,
- 2007. Streamside Policies for Headwater Channels: An Example Considering Debris Flows in the Oregon Coastal Province. Forest Science 53:239-253. and ,
- 2006. Comparing Riparian and Catchment Influences on Stream Habitat in a Forested, Montane Landscape. In : Landscape Influences on Stream Habitats and Biological Assemblages, Robert M.Hughes, LizhuWang, and PaulSeelbach (Editors). American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, pp. 175-197. , , , and ,
- 2007. Distribution of Salmon-Habitat Potential Relative to Landscape Characteristics and Implications for Conservation. Ecological Applications 17(1):66-80. , , , , , and ,
- 2001. Bankfull Discharge Recurrence Intervals and Regional Hydraulic Geometry Relationships: Patterns in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 37(5):1249-1262. and ,
- 2003. Comparison of Digital Elevation Models for Aquatic Data Development. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 69(12):1367-1375. and ,
- 1994. A Statistical Topographic Model for Mapping Climatological Precipitation Over Mountainous Terrain. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33:140-158. , , and ,
- 2007. Modeling Stream Channel Characteristics From Drainage-Enforced DEMs in Puget Sound, Washington, USA. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 43:414-426. , , , and ,
- 2005. A Spatial Evaluation of Habitat Access Conditions and Oregon Plan Fish Passage Improvement Projects in the Coastal Coho ESU, Oregon Plan Technical Report 2, 24 pp. http://nrimp.dfw.state.or.us/OregonPlan/, accessed January 2006. , , and ,
- 1992. Erosion Thresholds and Land Surface Morphology. Geology 20:675-679. , , , , and ,
- 2002. Influences of Spatial and Temporal Variation on Fish-Habitat Relationships Defined by Regression Quantiles. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:86-98. , , and ,
- 1978. Water in Environmental Planning. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, California. and ,
- DWAF (Department of Water Affairs and Forestry), 2006. South Africa 1:500,000 Rivers. http://www.dwaf.gov.za/iwqs/gis_data/river/rivs500k.html, accessed April 2006).
- 1998. The Hyporheic Zone. In: River Ecology and Management: Lessons From the Pacific Coastal Ecoregion, R.J.Naiman and R.E.Bilby (Editors). Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, pp. 399-429. ,
- ESA (Endangered Species Act), 1973. Endangered Species Act of 1977. Public Law 93-205.
- ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute), 1998. ESRI Shapefile Technical Description. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands, California. http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf, accessed June 2006.
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), 1996. Publication Dates of All Maps Used Except for the Coquille River. Flood Insurance Maps. http://www.fema.gov, accessed May 2006.
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), 1998. Map for the Coquille River. Flood Insurance Maps. http://www.fema.gov, accessed May 2006.
- FEMAT (Forest Ecosystem Management Assessment Team), 1993. Forest Ecosystem Management: An Ecological, Economic, and Social Assessment. U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of the Interior, Portland, Oregon.
- 2002. Year 2000 Stream Habitat Conditions in Western Oregon. Monitoring Program Report OPSW-ODFW-2001-05, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Portland, Oregon, 41 pp. , , , and ,
- 1992. Cumulative Effects of Land-Use on Salmon Habitat in Southwest Oregon Coastal Streams. Ph.D. Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon. ,
- 2003. A Multiresolution Index of Valley Bottom Flatness. Water Resources Research 39(12):4-1-4-13. and ,
- 2005. A Geostatistical Approach for Describing Spatial Pattern in Stream Networks. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 3(3):138-144. , , and ,
- 1997. The Assignment of Drainage Direction Over Flat Surfaces in Raster Digital Elevation Models. Journal of Hydrology 193:204-213. and ,
- 2002. Physicochemical Characteristics of the Hyporheic Zone Affect Redd Site Selection by Chum Salmon and Fall Chinook Salmon in the Columbia River. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 22:1077-1085. , , , , , and ,
- Geoscience Australia, 2003. GEODATA TOPO 250K Series 2: Product User Guide. National Mapping Division, Geoscience Australia, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory.
- 2006. Regional Scale Analysis of the Altimetric Stream Network Evolution. Advances in Geosciences 7:79-83. , , , and ,
- 2002. Understanding Processes and Downstream Linkages of Headwater Systems. BioScience 52:905-916. , , and ,
- 1991. An Ecosystem Perspective of Riparian Zones. BioScience 41(8):540-551. , , , and ,
- 1988. Estimating Total Fish Abundance and Total Habitat Area in Small Streams Based on Visual Estimation Methods. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 45:834-844. and ,
- 2001. Identifying Stream Types and Management Implications. Forest Ecology and Management 143:39-46. ,
- 2002. Midscale Analysis of Streamside Characteristics in the Upper Grande Ronde Subbasin, Northeastern Oregon. USDA Forest Service Research Note PNW-RN-534, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon, 16 pp. , , , , , and ,
- 2000. Designing a Spatially Balanced, Randomized Site Selection Process for Regional Stream Surveys: The EMAP Mid-Atlantic Pilot Study. Environmental Monitoring Assessment 63:95-113. , , , , and ,
- 1990. The Influence of Geology and Timber Harvest on Channel Morphology and Salmonid Populations in Oregon Coast Range Streams. Ph.D. Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon. ,
- IMST (Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team), 1999. Recovery of Wild Salmonids in Western Oregon Forests: Oregon Forest Practices Act Rules and the Measures in the Oregon Plan for Salmon and Watersheds. Technical Report 1991-1 to the Oregon Plan for Salmon and Watersheds. Governor’s Natural Resources Office, Salem, Oregon.
- 1999. Accuracy and Precision of Stream Reach Water Surface Slopes Estimated in the Field and From Maps. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 19:141-148. , , and ,
- 1988. Extracting Topographic Structure From Digital Elevation Data for Geographic Information System Analysis. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 54:1593-1600. and ,
- 2005. Identification of Historical Populations of Coho Salmon (Oncorhynchus Kisutch) in the Oregon Coast Evolutionarily Significant Unit. Review Draft, Oregon Northern California Coast Technical Recovery Team, NOAA/NMFS/NWFSC, 129 pp. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1953. The Hydraulic Geometry of Stream Channels and Some Physiographic Implications. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 252, Washington, D.C., 57 pp. and ,
- 1964. Fluvial Processes in Geomorphology. Dover Publications, Inc., New York, New York. , , and ,
- 2006. Automated Suitable Drainage Network Extraction From Digital Elevation Models in Taiwan’s Upstream Watersheds. Hydrological Processes 20:289-306. , , , , and ,
- 2006. Historical Population Structure of Central Valley Steelhead and Its Alteration by Dams. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science 4(1):1-19, Article 3. http://repositories.cdlib.org/jmie/sfews/vol4/iss1/art3, accessed February 5, 2008. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1994. Oregon Forest Practices Act Water Protection Rules: Scientific and Policy Considerations. Forest Practices Policy Unit, Oregon Department of Forestry, Salem, Oregon. , , and ,
- 2006. Kappa as a Measure of Concordance in Categorical Sorting. http://www.faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/kappa.html with explanation at http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/kappaexp.html, accessed September 2007. ,
- 1997. GIS-Based Evaluation of Salmon Habitat for Prioritizing Restoration Opportunities in the Pacific Northwest. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 63:1219-1229. , , , , and ,
- 2002. A Landscape Perspective of Surface-Subsurface Hydrological Exchanges in River Corridors. Freshwater Biology 47:621-640. , , , and ,
- 1983. Relations Between Field-Surveyed Channel Networks and Map-Based Geomorphometric Measures, Inez, Kentucky. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 73:358-372. ,
- 2001. Spatial Variations in Channel Morphology at Segment and Reach Scales, Middle Fork John Day River, Northeastern Oregon. In : Geomorphic Processes and Riverine Habitat, Vol. 4, J.M.Dorava, D.R.Montgomery, B.B.Palcsak, and F.A.Fitzpatrick (Editors). American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C., pp. 159-172. ,
- 1998. Data for Ashley River to Test Channel Network and River Basin Heterogeneity Concepts. Water Resources Research 34(1):139-142. , , , and ,
- 1999. Channel Type and Salmonid Spawning Distribution and Abundance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:377-387. , , , and ,
- 1997. Channel-Reach Morphology in Mountain Drainage Basins. Geological Society of America Bulletin 109(5):596-611. and ,
- 1998. The Role of GIS in Watershed Analysis. In : Landform Monitoring, Modeling and Analysis, S.N.Land, K.S.Richards, and J.H.Chandler (Editors). John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, pp. 241-261. , , and ,
- 1993. Channel Network Source Representation Using Digital Elevation Models. Water Resources Research 29:3925-3934. and ,
- 2002. Methods for Stream Habitat Surveys Aquatic Inventories Project. Natural Production Program, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Corvallis, Oregon. http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/ODFW/freshwater/inventory/pdffiles/habmethod.pdf, accessed June 2006. , , and ,
- 2003. Progress Towards Understanding the Structure, Function, and Ecological Significance of Small Stream Channels and Their Riparian Zones. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33:1349-1351. and ,
- 1979. Problems in the Definition of Measurement of Stream Length. Professional Geographer 31:306-311. ,
- 1998. A Habitat-Based Assessment of Coho Salmon Production Potential and Spawner Escapement Needs for Oregon Coastal Streams. Information Reports 98-4, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Portland, Oregon. ,
- 2003. Improved Process for Floodplain Delineation From Digital Terrain Models. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 129(5):427-436. , , and ,
- 1984. The Extraction of Drainage Networks From Digital Elevation Data. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing 28:323-344. and ,
- ODF&W (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife), 2003. Natural Resources Information Management Program’s Fish Distribution Maps. http://rainbow.dfw.state.or.us/nrimp/information/fishdistmaps.htm, accessed June 2006.
- ODF&W (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife), 2007. Sampling Design and Statistical Analysis Methods for the Integrated Biological and Physical Monitoring of Oregon Streams. Report Number: OPSW-ODFW-2002-07. http://nrimp.dfw.state.or.us/crl/default.aspx?p=386, accessed September 2007.
- Oregon Department of Forestry, 1997. Forest Practice Rule Guidance for OAR-629-635 Water Protection Rules: Purpose, Goals, Classification, and Riparian Management Areas. http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/Private_Forests/docs/fp/guidance/OARDiv635.pdf, accessed June 2006.
- 2002. Landscape Characteristics, Land Use, and Coho Salmon (Oncorhynchus Kisutch) Abundance, Snohomish River, Washington, U.S.A. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:613-623. , , , , , and ,
- 2004. Effectiveness Monitoring for the Aquatic and Riparian Component of the Northwest Forest Plan: Conceptual Framework and Options. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report PNW-GTR-577, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon, 71 pp. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1999. Storm Impacts and Landslides of 1996: Final Report. Oregon Department of Forestry, Salem, Oregon, 145 pp. , , , , and ,
- 2002. Habitat Use by Fishes and Pacific Giant Salamanders in Small Western Oregon and Washington Streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:743-761. ,
- 2006. Lost Watersheds: Barriers, Aquatic Habitat Connectivity, and Salmon Persistence in the Willamette and Lower Columbia River Basins. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:1645-1669. and ,
- 2007. Cumulative Ecological and Socioeconomic Effects of Forest Policies in Coastal Oregon. Ecological Applications 17:5-17. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1999. Spatially Restricted Surveys Over Time for Aquatic Resources. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 4(4):415-428. , and ,
- 2006. Erosion of Steepland Valleys by Debris Flows. Geological Society of America Bulletin 118:1125-1148. and ,
- 2005. An Ecological Assessment of Western Stream and Rivers. EPA 620/R-05/005. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1997. A New Method for the Determination of Flow Directions and Upslope Areas in Grid Digital Elevation Models. Water Resources Research 33:309-319. ,
- 2002. Hydrologically Enhanced, High-Resolution DEMs. A Supplement to Geospatial Solutions, April 1, 2002: 8-14. http://www.geospatial-online.com, accessed April 2007. and ,
- USDA and USDI, 1994. Record of Decision for Amendments to Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management Planning Documents Within the Range of the Northern Spotted Owl. Portland, Oregon [Plus Attachment A: Standards and Guidelines].
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 1998. National Mapping Program Technical Instructions: Standards for Digital Elevation Models. U.S. Geological Survey, National Mapping Division. http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/public/nmpstds/demstds.html, accessed May 2006.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 2000. The National Hydrography Dataset: Concept and Contents. http://nhd.usgs.gov/, accessed July 2006.
- 1991. Geologic Map of Oregon. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia, 1:500,000, Lambert Conformal Conic Projection, Colored, 2 Sheets. and ,
- Water and Climate Center of the Natural Resources Conservation Service 1998. Western U.S. Average Monthly or Annual Precipitation, 1961-1990. http://www.ocs.orst.edu/prism/products/, accessed in June 2006.
- 2005. Prediction of Mountain Stream Morphology. Water Resources Research 41, W08419, doi: DOI: 10.1029/2004SR003779. and ,
- 2007. Simulating Riparian Vegetation and Aquatic Habitat Dynamics in Response to Natural and Anthropogenic Disturbance Regimes in the Upper Grande Ronde River, Oregon, USA. Landscape and Urban Planning 80:249-267. , , and ,
- 2003. Mapping the Abundance of Riverine Fish Populations: Integrating Hierarchical Bayesian Models With a Geographic Information System (GIS). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:997-1006. ,
- 2000. Riparian Zone Management in the Pacific Northwest: Who’s Cutting What? Environmental Management 26:131-144. ,