Paper No. JAWRA-07-0030-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until December 1, 2008.
Situational Waste in Landscape Watering: Residential and Business Water Use in an Urban Utah Community1
Article first published online: 24 APR 2008
© 2008 American Water Resources Association
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 44, Issue 4, pages 902–920, August 2008
How to Cite
Endter-Wada, J., Kurtzman, J., Keenan, S. P., Kjelgren, R. K. and Neale, C. M.U. (2008), Situational Waste in Landscape Watering: Residential and Business Water Use in an Urban Utah Community. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 44: 902–920. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00190.x
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2008
- Received February 24, 2007; accepted October 24, 2007.
- 1994. Residential Water Use: Predicting and Reducing Consumption. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 24(2):136-158. , , , and ,
- 1991. The Theory of Planned Behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 50(2):179-211. ,
- 1994. An Update for the Definition of Reference Evapotranspiration. ICID Bulletin 43:35-92. , , , and ,
- 1987. Worldviews in Psychology: Trait, Interactional, Organismic and Transactional Perspectives. In : Handbook of Environmental Psychology, D.Stokols and I.Altman (Editors). John Wiley and Sons, Toronto. Ontario, Canada, Vol. 1, pp. 7-40. and
- 1993. An Integration of Gibsonian and Vygotskian Perspectives on Changing Attitudes in Group Contexts. British Journal of Social Psychology 32:53-70. and ,
- 1993. Water-Efficient Landscape Guidelines, Denver, Colorado, American Water Works Association. and ,
- 2001. Redesigning the American Lawn: A Search for Environmental Harmony (Second Edition). Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut. , , and ,
- 1988. Developing and Assessing a Model of Residential Water Conservation. Water Resources Bulletin 24(3):661-669. and ,
- 1997. Irrigation Performance Measures: Efficiency and Uniformity. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 123:423-442. , , , , , , , and ,
- 1998. Social Value Orientations and Decisions to Take Proenvironmental Action. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 28(8):675-697. , , and ,
- 2001. Control and Flow: Rethinking the Sociology, Technology and Politics of Water Consumption. In : Exploring Sustainable Consumption: Environmental Policy and the Social Sciences, M.J.Cohen and J.Murphy (Editors), Pergamon Press, London, Vol. 1, pp. 157-170. , , and ,
- 2002. A Structural Model of Proenvironmental Competency. Environment and Behavior 34(4):531-549. ,
- 1994. WUCOLS: Water Use Classification of Landscape Species (A Guide to the Water Needs of Landscape Plants). University of California Cooperative Extension, San Francisco. and ,
- Denver Water and Rob Proctor, 1996. Xeriscape Plant Guide: 100 Water-Wise Plants for Gardens and Landscapes. Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, Colorado.
- 198889. Exploring the Difference Between Recyclers and Non-Recyclers: The Role of Information. Journal of Environmental Systems 18:341-351. ,
- 2000. Expanding and Evaluating Motives for Environmentally Responsible Behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56(3):509-526. ,
- 2005. Environmental Values. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 30(1):335-372. , , and ,
- 1992. Xeriscape Gardening: Water Conservation for the American Landscape. Macmillan Publishing, New York, New York. , , and ,
- 1998. Drought Avoidance Aspects and Crop Coefficients of Kentucky Bluegrass and Tall Fescue Turfs in the Semiarid West. Crop Science 38(3):788-795. and ,
- 2003. Estimating Farm and Landscape Water use at the Rural-Urban Interface Using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems. PhD Dissertation, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. ,
- 2001. Development of a GIS-Based Model To Estimate Landscape Water Demand in the Urban/Rural Interface. In : Proceedings of the Remote Sensing and Hydrology 2000 Symposium, ManfredOwe, KayeBrubaker, JerryRichtie, and AlbertRango (Editors). IAHS Publ. No. 267 (2001), International Association of Hydrological Sciences Press, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, ISBN 1-901502-46-5. , , and ,
- 1987. Water Conservation Methods in Urban Landscape Irrigation: An Exploratory Overview. Water Resources Bulletin 23(1):147-152. ,
- Green Associations Water Conservation Council Coalition, 2006. Water Action Guide. http://www.wateractionguide.com/index.htm, accessed January 2007.
- 2003. Repeated Behavior and Environmental Psychology: The Role of Personal Involvement and Habit Formation in Explaining Water Consumption. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 33(6):1261-1296. and ,
- 2006. The Role of Utah Garden Centers in Furthering Public Knowledge About Waterwise Plants and Landscaping. M.S. Thesis, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. ,
- 1987. Analysis and Synthesis of Research on Responsible Environmental Behavior: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Environmental Education 18(2):1-8. , , and ,
- 2003. Understanding Utah’s Native Plant Market: Coordinating Public and Private Interest. MLA Thesis, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. ,
- 1999. Social Meaning and Social Context of Environmentally-Relevant Behaviour: Shopping, Wrapping, and Disposing. Journal of Environmental Psychology 19:277-286. ,
- Irrigation Association, 2005a. Turf and Landscape Irrigation Best Management Practices. The Irrigation Association, Water Management Committee. http://www.irrigation.org/gov/default.aspx?pg=BMPs.htm&id=104, accessed January 2007.
- Irrigation Association, 2005b. Landscape Irrigation Scheduling and Water Management. The Irrigation Association, Water Management Committee. http://www.irrigation.org/gov/default.aspx?pg=BMPs.htm&id=104, accessed January 2007.
- Irvine Ranch Water District, 2007. Irvine Ranch Water District Schedule of Rates and Charges. http://www.irwd.com/AboutIRWD/budget_rates/ratescharges.pdf, accessed July 17, 2007.
- 1994. The Lawn: A History of an American Obsession. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C. ,
- 1999. Environmental Attitude and Ecological Behaviour. Journal of Environmental Psychology 19:1-19. , , and ,
- 2000. Human Nature and Environmentally Responsible Behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56(3):491-508. ,
- 2001. Implementing Water Conservation in an Institutional Setting. M.S. Thesis, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. ,
- 2002. Quantifying Potential Urban Landscape Water Conservation Through Billing Data Analysis in Layton, Utah. 2002 Water Sources Conference: Reuse, Resources, Conservation, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 27-30, 2002. , , , , and ,
- 2000. Water Conservation in Urban Landscapes. HortScience 35:1037-1043. , , and ,
- 2004. Understanding Household Landscape Water Conservation. M.S. Thesis, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. ,
- 1992. Water Requirements and Irrigation. In : Turfgrass, Agronomy Monograph no. 32. ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison Wisconsin, pp. 441-444. , , and ,
- 1994. Statistics for Social Data Analysis (Third Edition). F.E. Peacock, Itasca, Illinois. and ,
- 1991. The Xeriscape Flower Gardener: A Waterwise Guide for the Rocky Mountain Region. Johnson Books, Boulder, Colorado. ,
- 2002. The Psychology of Environmentally Sustainable Behavior: Fitting Together Pieces of the Puzzle. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy 2(1):257-278. ,
- 2005. Utilizing a Social-Ecological Framework to Promote Water and Energy Conservation: A Field Experiment. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 35(6):1281-1300. , , and ,
- 2006. Desert Dreamscapes: Residential Landscape Preference and Behavior. Landscape and Urban Planning 78(1-2):85-100. and ,
- McCool, D.C. (Editor), 1995. Waters of Zion: The Politics of Water in Utah. University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2002. Water Wise: Native Plants for Intermountain Landscapes. Utah State University Press, Logan, Utah. , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Two Avenues for Encouraging Conservation Behaviors. Human Ecology Review 10(2):113-125. ,
- 2004. Water Loss Estimates for Five Recently Transplanted Landcape Tree Species in a Semi-Arid Climate. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 22:189-196. , , , and ,
- 1995. Messy Ecosystems, Orderly Frames. Landscape Journal 14(2):161-170. ,
- 2005. Influences on Residential Yard Care and Water Quality: Tualatin Watershed, Oregon. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (Paper No. 03093) 41(1):93-106. and ,
- Pacific Institute, 1999. Sustainable Use of Water: California Success Stories. Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment and Security, Oakland, California.
- Planning Management Consultants, Ltd., 1993. Evaluating Urban Water Conservation Programs: A Procedures Manual. American Water Works Association, Carbondale, Illinois.
- 2003. The Emerging Field of Conservation Psychology. Human Ecology Review 10(2):137-149. ,
- Statistical Package for the Social Sciences for Windows, Rel. 14.0.2. 2006. SPSS Inc., Chicago.
- 2006. American Green: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Lawn. Norton and Company, New York, New York. ,
- 2000a. Toward a Coherent Theory of Environmentally Significant Behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56(3):407-424. ,
- 2000b. Psychology and the Science of Human-Environment Interactions. American Psychologist 55(5):523-530, doi: DOI: 10.1037//0003-066X.55.5.523. ,
- 1991. Predicting Water Consumption from Homeowners’ Attitudes. Journal of Environmental Systems 20(2):157-168. , , and ,
- Teyssot, G. (Editor), 1999. The American Lawn. Princeton Architectural Press, New York, New York.
- Utah Code Annotated, 2004. 73-10-32: Water Conservation Plans.
- Utah Division of Water Resources, 2001. Utah’s Water Resources: Planning for the Future. http://www.water.utah.gov/Planning/SWP/SWP2001/SWP_pff.pdf, accessed July 2007.
- Utah Division of Water Resources, 2003. Utah’s M&I Water Conservation Plan: Investing in the Future. http://www.water.utah.gov/M&I/plan7-14-03.pdf, accessed July 2007.
- Utah Division of Water Resources, 2007. Drought in Utah: Learning From the Past-Preparing for the Future. http://www.water.utah.gov/DroughtReport/binder2A.pdf, accessed July 2007.
- 2001. Handbook of Water Use and Conservation: Homes, Landscapes, Businesses, Industries, and Farms. WaterPlow Press, Amherst, Massachusetts. .
- 2002. Emerging Theoretical and Methodological Perspectives on Conservation Behavior. In : Handbook of Environmental Psychology, R.B.Bechtel, and A.Churchman (Editors). John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York. and ,
- 1999. Psychological Perspectives on Sustainability. In : Sustainability and the Social Sciences: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach to Integrating Environmental Considerations Into Theoretical Reorientation, E.Becker and T.Jahn (Editors). Zed Books, London, United Kingdom, pp. 223-242. ,
- 1999. Promoting Conservation With Irvine Ranch Water District’s Ascending Block Rate Structure. In : Sustainable Use of Water: California Success Stories. L.Owens-Viani, A.K.Wong, and P.H.Gleick (Editors). Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment and Security, Oakland, California, pp. 27-35. ,