Paper No. JAWRA-07-0186-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until August 1, 2009.
Using SWAT to Model Streamflow in Two River Basins With Ground and Satellite Precipitation Data1
Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2008
© 2008 American Water Resources Association
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 253–271, February 2009
How to Cite
Tobin, K. J. and Bennett, M. E. (2009), Using SWAT to Model Streamflow in Two River Basins With Ground and Satellite Precipitation Data. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45: 253–271. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00276.x
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2008
- Received December 22, 2007; accepted July 21, 2008.
- 2005. Modeling Effects of Brush Management on the Rangeland Water Budget: Edwards Plateau, Texas. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 41(1):181-193. , , and ,
- 1999. Automated Methods for Estimating Baseflow and Groundwater Recharge From Stream Flow Records. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 35(2):411-424. and ,
- 1995. Automated Base Flow Separation and Recession Analysis Techniques. Groundwater 33:1001-1018. , , , and ,
- 2005. SWAT2000: Current Capabilities and Research Opportunities in Applied Watershed Modeling. Hydrologic Process 19(3):563-572. and ,
- 2005. Estimation of Soil Cracking and the Effect on Surface Runoff in a Texas Blackland Prairie Watershed. Hydrologic Process 19(3):589-603. , , , and ,
- 1998. Large-Area Hydrologic Modeling and Asssessment: Part I. Model Development. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 34(1):73-89. , , , and ,
- 1990. SWRRBWQ – A Bassin Scale Model for Assessing Management Impacts on Water Quality. USDA Agricultural Research Service, Washington, D.C. , , , and ,
- 1980. ANSWERS: A Model for Watershed Planning. Transactions of the ASAE 23:938-944. , , and ,
- 2000. NEXRAD Radar for\Flood Prediction in Houston. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 5(3):269-277. , , , and ,
- 1996. Runoff Simulated From Goodwin Creek Watershed Using SWAT. Transactions of the ASABE 39(1):85-90. ,
- 2007. Use of Scale Recursive Estimation for Assimilation of Precipitation Data From TRMM (PR and TMI) and NEXRAD. Advances in Water Resources 30:2354-2372. ,
- 2004. Evaluation of the SWAT Model’s Hydrology Component in the Piedmont Physiographic Region of Maryland. Transactions of the ASAE 47(4):1057-1073. and ,
- 2004. Evaluation of the SWAT Model’s Sediment and Nutrient Components in the Piedmont Physiographic Region of Maryland. Transactions of the ASAE 47(5):1523-1538. , , , and ,
- 1999. Radar-Rain Gauge Comparison Under Observational Uncertainties. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38:1519-1525. and ,
- 1978. Empirical Equations for Some Soil Hydraulic Properties. Water Resources Research 14:601-604. and ,
- 2004. Formulation of a Hydrid Calibration Approach for a Physically Based Distributed Model With NEXRAD Data Input. Journal of Hydrology 298:136-154. and ,
- 2002. Integration of Watershed Tools and SWAT Model Into BASINS. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 38(4):1127-1141. , , and ,
- 2001. Comparative Rainfall Observations From Pit and Aboveground Rain Gauges With and Without Wind Shield. Water Resources Research 37:3253-3263. and ,
- 2005. Modelling the Hydrology of a Catchment Using Distributed and a Semi-Distributed Model. Hydrological Processes 19:573-587. , , , and ,
- 1998. A Screening Methodology for Passive Microwave Precipitation Retrieval Algorithms. Journal of Atmospheric Science 55:1583-1600. , , , and ,
- 2007. Evaluation of SWAT Manual Calibration Sensitivity in the Little River Watershed. Transactions of the ASABE 50(3):843-855. , , , and ,
- 2000. Impacts of Input Parameters Spatial Aggregation on an Agricultural Nonpoint Source Pollution Model. Journal of Hydrology 236:35-53. and ,
- 2007. The Soil and Water Assessment Tool: Historical Development, Applications, and Future Research Directions. Transactions of the ASABE 50(4):1211-1250. , , , and ,
- 1998. Simulating Climate Change Effects in a Minnesota Agricultural Watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality 27:1524-1532. and ,
- 2000. Improving Precipitation Estimates From Weather Radar Using Quality Control and Correlation Techniques. Meteorological Applications 6:135-144. , , and ,
- 1999. Interannual Variability of the North American Warm Season Precipitation Regime. Journal of Climate 12:653-680. , , and ,
- 2007. The TRMM Multi-Satellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA): Quasi-Global, Multi-Year, Combined-Sensor Precipitation Estimates at Fine Scales. Journal of Hydrometeorology 8(1):38-55. , , , , , , , and ,
- IBWC (International Boundary Water Comission), 2008. Historical Streamflow Data: Rio Grande Basin. International Boundary and Water Commission, El Paso, Texas. http://www.ibwc.state.gov/Water_Data/histflo1.htm, accessed December 1, 2007.
- INEGI, 2008. Main Webpage. Instituto Nacional de EstadÌsticas, GeografÌa, e Informática, Mexico City, Mexico. http://www.inegi.gob.mx/inegi/default.aspx, accessed July 1, 2007.
- International Union of Soil Sciences, 2006. World Reference Base for Soil Resources 2006: A Framework for International Classification, Correlation, and Communication. World Soil Resources Report No. 103, p. 128. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- 2006. Climate Change Sensitivity Assessment on Upper Mississippi River Basin Streamflows Using SWAT. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 42(4):997-1015. , , , , and ,
- 1999. Comparing Mean Areal Precipitation Estimates From NEXRAD and Rain Gauge Networks. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 4(2):117-124. , , , and ,
- 2006. Hydrologic Modeling of an Eastern Pennsylvania Watershed With NEXRAD and Rain Gauge Data. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 11(6):555-569. and ,
- 2006. Sensitivity Analysis and Identification of the Best Evapotranspiration and Runoff Options for Hydrologic Modeling in SWAT-2000. Jounral of Hydrology 332:456-466. , , , and ,
- 1992. Representativeness Errors in Comparison Between Radar and Gauge Measurements of Rainfall. Journal of Hydrology 134:13-33. and ,
- 1987. Co-Kriging of Radar-Rainfall and Rain Gauge Data. Journal of Geophysical Research 92:9571-9580. ,
- 2002. Radar Hydrology: Rainfall Estimation. Advances in Water Resources 25:1387-1394. and ,
- 1999. Evaluating the Use of “Goodness-of-Fit” Measures in Hydrologic and Hydroclimate Model Validation. Water Resources Research 35(1):233-241. and ,
- 2007. Remote Sensing Solutions for Continuous Rainfall Runoff Modeling. 2007 AGU Joint Assembly. H51C-05. American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C. , , , , , , and ,
- 2004. Stream Flow Estimation Using Spatially Distributed Rainfall in the Trinity River Basin, Texas. Transactions of the ASAE 47:1445-1451. , , and ,
- 2007. Model Evaluation Guidelines for Systematic Quantification of Accuracy in Watershed Simulations. Transactions of the ASABE 50(3):885-900. , , , , , and ,
- 1995. The Uncertainity of Simple Spatial Averages Using Rain Gauge Networks. Water Resources Research 31(8):2011-2017. , , , and ,
- 1999. Validation of Distributed Hydrological Model Against Spatial Observations. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 98:257-277. , , , and ,
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration), 2008. GES-DISC Interactive Online Visualization ANd ANalysis Infrastructure (Giovanni). National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, D.C http://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov/Giovani/tovas/TRMM_V6.3B42.2.shtml, accessed December 1, 2007.
- 1970. River Flow Forecasting Through Conceptual Models. Part 1: Discussion of Principles. Journal of Hydrology, 10:282-290. and ,
- NCDC, 2008. Climate Station Locator. National Atmospheric and Oceanic Agency, Ashville, North Carolina. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/stationlocator.html, accessed March 1, 2008.
- 2004. Hydrologic Modeling With NEXRAD Precipitation in Middle Tennessee. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 9(5):339-349. , , and ,
- 2002. Soil and Water Assessment Tool User’s Manual. Texas Water Resource Institute Report TR-192, Texas Water Resource Institute, College Station, Texas, p. 455. , , , , and ,
- NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency), 2008. Southern Division Precipitation Analysis Website. National Atmospheric and Oceanic Agency, Fort Worth, Texas. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/rfcshare/p_download/p_download.php, accessed December 2, 2007.
- 2001. GIS and Distributed Watershed Models II: Modules, Interfaces, and Models. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 6:515-523. , , , and ,
- Rio Grande Regional Water Planning Group, 2001. Rio Grande Regional Water Plan, Lower Rio Grande Valley Development Council, McAllen, Texas, http://riograndewaterplan.org/waterplanOLD.php, accessed March 15, 2006.
- 1974. The Design of Rainfall Networks in Time and Space. Water Resources Research 10:713-728. , ,
- 1989. Reliability of Precipitation Measurements. Proceedings of WMO/IAHS/ETH Workshop on Precipitation Measurements. World Meteorological Organization, St. Moritz, Switzerland, pp. 13-19. ,
- 1986. Application of Curve Number Procedure on Coastal Plain Watersheds. ASAE. Paper No. 862505. ASAE, St. Joseph, Michigan. and ,
- 1991. Estimation of the Mean Field Bias of Radar Rainfall Estimates. Journal of Applied Meteorology 30:397-412. and ,
- 1996. An Intercomparison Study of NEXRAD Precipitation Estimates. Water Resources Research 32:2035-2045. , , , and ,
- Soil Conservation Service Engineering Division, 1986. Urban Hydrology for Small Watersheds. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., Technical Release 55.
- Soil and Water Assessment Tool, 2008, Main Website. Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, http://www.brc.tamus.edu/swat/, accessed January 17, 2007.
- 2001. An Estimation of Radar- and Rain Gauge-Derived Mean Areal Precipitation Ovedr Georgia Watersheds. Weather Forecasting 16(1):133-144. , , , and ,
- Texas Water Development Board, 2002, Water for Texas - 2002. State of Texas. Austin, Texas. http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publications/reports/StateWater_Plan/2002/FinalWaterPlan2002.asp, accessed July 24, 2006.
- 2007. Systematic Anomalies Over Inland Water Bodies in Satellite-Based Precipitation Estimates. Geophysical Research Letters 34. Paper No. L14493. and ,
- 2003. Rain Gauge and Disdrometer Measurements During Keys Area Microphysics Project (KAMP). Journal of Atmospheric & Oceanic Technology 20:1460-1477. , , , and ,
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), 1994. State Soil Data Use Information. Soil Conservation Service. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. http://www.ftw.nrcs.usda.gov/stat_data.html, accessed February 1, 2007.
- USEPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency), 2007. Better Assessment Science Intergrating Point and Non-Point Sources. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/basins/, accessed February 1, 2007.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 1986. Land Use and Land Cover Digital Data From 1:250,000-and 1:100,000-Scale Maps. Data Users Guide 4. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. http://edc2.usgs.gov/geodata/LULC/LULCDataUsersGuide.pdf, accessed February 1, 2007.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 1995, Metadata for 1-Degree Digital Elevation Models. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. http://nsdi.usgs.gov/products/dem.html, accessed February 1, 2007.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 1999. National Hydrography Dataset. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. http://nhd.usgs.gov, accessed February 1, 2007.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 2008. Texas Water Data Website. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/dv?referred_module=sw, accessed February 1, 2007.
- 2002. Development Towards Integrated Water Quality Modeling for River Basins. Publication No. 40, Department of Hydrology and Hydralulic Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel. ,
- 2003. Sensitivity, Optimisation and Uncertainty Analysis for the Model Parameters of SWAT. Proceedings of the Second International SWAT Conference. Bari, Italy. TWRI Technical Report 266. pp. 162-167. and ,
- 2005. Problems and Potential of Autocalibrating a Hydrologic Model. Transactions of the ASABE 48(3):1025-1040. , , and ,
- 2007. Suitability of SWAT for the Conservation Effects Assessment Project: Comparison on USDA Agricultural Research Service Watersheds. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 12(2):173-189. , , , and ,
- 2000. Statistical Comparison of Mean Areal Precipitation Estimates From WSR-88D, Operational and Historical Gage Networks. Proceedings, 15th Conference on Hydrology. 80th American Meteorological Society Meeting, Boston. , , , , and ,
- 1969. Flood Routing With Variable Travel Time or Variable Storage Coefficients. Transactions of the ASAE 12(1):100-103. ,
- 2005. GIS-Based NEXRAD Stage III Precipitation Database: Automated Approaches for Data Processing and Visualization. Computers and Geoscience 31:65-76. , , , , and ,
- 1989. AGNPS: A Nonpoint- Source Pollution Model for Evaluating Agricultural Watersheds. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 44(2):168-173. , , , and ,
- 1975. On Radar-Raingauge Comparison. Journal of Applied Meteorology 14:1430-1436. ,