Paper No. JAWRA-07-0182-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until August 1, 2009.
Lagrangian Sampling for Emerging Contaminants Through an Urban Stream Corridor in Colorado1
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2008 American Water Resources Association
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 68–82, February 2009
How to Cite
Brown, J. B., Battaglin, W. A. and Zuellig, R. E. (2009), Lagrangian Sampling for Emerging Contaminants Through an Urban Stream Corridor in Colorado. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45: 68–82. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00290.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received December 19, 2007; accepted August 1, 2008.
- American Forests, 2001. Regional Ecosystem Analysis for Metropolitan Denver and Cities of the Northern Front Range, Colorado: Calculating the Value of Nature. April 2001 American Forests Report. American Forests, Washington, D.C., 12 pp.
- 2007. The Effects of Nonylphenol and Octylphenol on Embryonic Development of Sea Urchin (Paracentrotus lividus). Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 53:214-219. , , , and ,
- 2004. Evaluation of Two Monitoring Approaches to Assess Effects of Waste Water Disposal on Histological Alterations in Fish. Hydrobiologia 524:53-66. , , , and ,
- 2007. Evidence of Estrogenic Mixture Effects on the Reproductive Performance of Fish. Environmental Science & Technology 41:337-344. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1993. Developmental Effects of Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in Wildlife and Humans. Environmental Health Perspectives 101:378-384. , , and ,
- 2001. Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in the Environment: Overarching Issues and Overview. In : Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in the Environment: Scientific and Regulatory Issues, C.G.Daughton and T.L.Jones-Lepp (Editors). American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., ACS Symposium Series 791, pp. 2-38. ,
- 2006. Attenuation of Wastewater-Derived Contaminants in an Effluent-Dominated River. Environmental Science & Technology 40:7257-7262. , , and ,
- 2001. Methods of Analysis by the U.S. Geological Survey National Water Quality Laboratory—Determination of Pesticides in Water by Graphitized Carbon-Based Solid-Phase Extraction and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 01-4134, Reston, Virginia, 73 pp. , , , , , and ,
- 2005. Occurrence, Fate, and Removal of Pharmaceutical Residues in the Aquatic Environment: An Extended Review of Recent Research Data. In : Hot Spot Pollutants: Pharmaceutical in the Environment, D.R.Dietrich, S.Webb, and T.Petry (Editors). Elsevier Inc., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 11-36. and ,
- 2007. A Literature Survey on Selected Chemical Compounds: Literature Survey of Polyfluorinated Organic Compounds, Phosphor Containing Flame Retardants, 3-Nitrobenzanthrone, Organic Tin Compounds, Platinum and Silver. Oslo, Norway, Statens forurensningstilsyn, Norwegian Pollution Control Authority TA-2238/2007. http://www.sft.no/publikasjoner/2238/ta2238.pdf, accessed December 2007. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2004. Influence of Chronic Exposure to Treated Sewage Effluent on the Distribution of White Blood Cell Populations in Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Spleen. Toxicological Sciences 82:97-105. , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Effects of Sewage Treatment Plant Effluent on the Immune System of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus Mykiss). Dissertation, Universität Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany. ,
- Institute for Environment and Health, 2005. Chemicals Purported to be Endocrine Disrupters: A Compilation of Published Lists. IEH Web Report W20, MRC Institute for Environment and Health, Leicester, United Kingdom, http://www.le.ac.uk/ieh/, accessed December 2007.
- 1989. Measurement of Time of Travel in Streams by dye Tracing. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques of Water-Resources Investigations, Reston, Virginia, Book 3, Chap. A9, 27 pp. and ,
- 2002. Pharmaceuticals, Hormones, and Other Organic Wastewater Contaminants in U.S. Streams, 1999-2000: A National Reconnaissance. Environmental Science & Technology 36:1202-1211. , , , , , , and ,
- 2004. Presence and Distribution of Organic Wastewater Compounds in Wastewater, Surface, Ground, and Drinking Waters, Minnesota, 2000-02. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigation Report 2004-5138, Reston, Virginia, 47 pp. , , , , , , and ,
- 2001. Environmental Signaling: What Embryos and Evolution Teach U.S. About Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals. Endocrine Reviews 22:319-341. ,
- 2001. Streams in the Urban Landscape. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:333-365. and ,
- 2002. Endocrine Disruptors in Sewage Treatment Plants, Receiving River Waters, and Sediments: Integration of Chemical Analysis and Biological Effects in Feral Carp. Environmental Science & Technology 21:2146-2156. , , , and ,
- 2007. Physiological Response to Persistent Organic Pollutants in Fish From Mountain Lakes: Analysis of Cyp1A Gene Expression in Natural Populations of Salmo Trutta. Environmental Science & Technology 41:5154-5160. , , , , , and ,
- 1982. Measurement and Computation of Streamflow: Volume 2. Computation of Discharge. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Supply paper 2175, Washington, D.C., pp. 284-631. , et al. ,
- 2005. Wastewater Chemicals in Colorado’s Streams and Ground Water. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2004-3217, Reston, Virginia, 4 pp. and ,
- 2006. Effects of Urbanization on Stream Ecosystems in the South Platte River Basin, Colorado and Wyoming, Chap A of Effects of Urbanization on Stream Ecosystems in Six Metropolitan Areas of the United States. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5101-A, Reston, Virginia, 139 pp. , , and ,
- 2001. Pharmaceuticals and Metabolites as Contaminants of the Aquatic Environment. In : Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in the Environment: Scientific and Regulatory Issues, C.G.Daughton and T.L.Jones-Lepp, (Editors). American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., ACS Symposium Series 791, pp. 39-54. ,
- U.S. Geological Survey, variously dated. National Field Manual for the Collection of Water-Quality Data. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques of Water-Resources Investigations, Book 9, Chaps. A1-A9, Reston, Virginia. http://water.usgs.gov/owq/FieldManual/, accessed December 2008.
- 2006. The Bactericidal Agent Triclosan Modulates Thyroid Hormone-Associated Gene Expression and Disrupts Postembryonic Anuran Development. Aquatic Toxicology 80:217-227. , , , , , , , and ,
- 2006. Review of Method Performance and Improvements for Determining Wastewater Compounds (Schedule 1433). U.S. Geological Survey National Water Quality Laboratory Technical Memorandum 2006.01, 26 pp. http://nwql.usgs.gov/Public/tech_memos/nwql.2006-01.pdf, accessed December 2007 and ,
- 2002. Methods of Analysis by the U.S. Geological Survey National Water Quality Laboratory – Determination of Wastewater Compounds by Polystyrene-Divinylbenzene Solid-Phase Extraction and Capillary-Column Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 01-4186, Reston, Virginia, 37 pp. , , , , and ,
- 2007. Aquatic Communities and Selected Water Chemistry in St. Vrain Creek Near the City of Longmont, Colorado, Wastewater-Treatment Plant, 2005 and 2006. U.S. Geological Survey Data Series DS 253, Reston, Virginia, 30 pp. , , , and ,