Paper No. JAWRA-08-0021-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until December 1, 2009.
Effect of the Spatial Variability of Land Use, Soil Type, and Precipitation on Streamflows in Small Watersheds1
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2009
© 2009 American Water Resources Association
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 45, Issue 3, pages 673–686, June 2009
How to Cite
Cho, H. and Olivera, F. (2009), Effect of the Spatial Variability of Land Use, Soil Type, and Precipitation on Streamflows in Small Watersheds. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45: 673–686. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2009.00315.x
- Issue online: 26 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2009
- Received January 24, 2008; accepted November 10, 2008.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, 1993. Criteria for Evaluation of Watershed Models. ASCE Task Committee on the Definition of Criteria for Evaluation of Watershed Models of the Watershed Management Committee, Irrigation and Drainage Committee. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 119(3):429-442.
- 2001. Impact of Imperfect Rainfall Knowledge on the Efficiency and the Parameters of Watershed Models. Journal of Hydrology 250:206-223. , , , , and ,
- 1998. Large Area Hydrologic Modelling and Assessment, Part I: Model Development. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34(1):73-89. , , , and ,
- 1997. Effect of Watershed Subdivision on Simulation Runoff and Fine Sediment Yield. Transactions of the ASAE 40(5):1329-1335. , , , and ,
- 2005. Impact of Dem Mesh Size and Soil Map Scale on SWAT Runoff, Sediment, and NO3-N Loads Predictions. Journal of Hydrology 312:207-222. ,
- 2005. Effect of the Accuracy of Spatial Rainfall Information on the Modeling of Water, Sediment, and NO3-N Loads at the Watershed Level. Journal of Hydrology 312:223-234. , , and ,
- 2004. Effects of Distribution-Based Parameter Aggregation on a Spatially Distributed Agricultural Nonpoint Source Pollution Model. Journal of Hydrology 295:211-224. and ,
- 2003. Water Quality Model Output Uncertainty as Affected by Spatial Resolution of Input Data. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 39(4):977-986. , , , , and ,
- 2005. Effect of GIS Data Quality on Small Watershed Stream Flow and Sediment Simulations. Hydrological Processes 19:629-650. , , and ,
- 2002. Integration of Watershed Tools and SWAT Model Into BASINS. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 38(4):1127-1141. , , and ,
- 1993. Shuffled Complex Evolution Approach for Effective and Efficient Global Minimization. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 76(3):501-521. , , and ,
- 2001. Automatic Calibration of a Distributed Catchment Model. Journal of Hydrology 251:103-109. and ,
- 2003. Parameter Uncertainty and the Significance of Simulated Land Use Change Effects. Journal of Hydrology 273:164-176. , , and ,
- 1995. Impact of Small-Scale Spatial Rainfall Variability on Runoff Modeling. Journal of Hydrology 173:309-326. , , , and ,
- 2000. Impacts of Input Parameter Spatial Aggregation on an Agricultural Nonpoint Source Pollution Model. Journal of Hydrology 236:35-53. and ,
- 2002. Development of a Snowfall-Snowmelt Routine for Mountainous Terrain for SWAT. Journal of Hydrology 262:209-223. , , , and ,
- 1996. Automatic Calibration of Conceptual Rainfall-Runoff Models: Optimization Algorithms, Catchment Conditions and Model Structure. Water Resources Research 32(12):3513-3524. and ,
- 1990. An Assessment of a Conceptual Rainfall-Runoff Model’s Ability to Represent the Dynamics of Small Hypothetical Catchments, 1. Models, Model Properties, and Experimental Design. Water Resources Research 26(7): 1595-1604. and ,
- 1911. Studies on Soil Physics, 1. The Flow of Air and Water Through Soils. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 4:11-24. and ,
- 2001. Integral Water Quality Modelling of Catchments. Water Science and Technology 43(7):321-328. and ,
- 1998. Simulating Climate Change Effects in a Minnesota Agricultural Watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality 27:1524-1532. and ,
- 2005. Assessment of the Effect of Land Use Patterns on Hydrologic Landscape Functions: A Comprehensive GIS-Based Tool to Minimize Model Uncertainty Resulting From Spatial Aggregation. Hydrological Processes 19:715-727. , , and ,
- 2006. Dynamic Routing Model With Real-Time Roughness Updating for Flood Forecasting. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 132:605-619. , , and ,
- 2003. Spatial Consistency of Automatically Calibrated SWAT Simulations in the Dill Catchment and Three of Its Subcatchments. In : Proceedings of the 2003 International SWAT Conference, R.Srinivasan, J.Jacobs, and R.Jensen (Editors). Texas Water Resources Institute (TWRI) Technical Report 266, College Station, Texas, pp. 168-173. , , , and
- 2004. Effect of Watershed Subdivision on SWAT Flow, Sediment, and Nutrient Predictions. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 40(3):811-825. , , , , and ,
- 2003. Effect of Geomorphologic Resolution on Modeling of Runoff Hydrograph and Sedimentograph Over Small Watersheds. Journal of Hydrology 276:89-111. , , and ,
- 2003. Edwards Aquifer Evaluation: Kinney County, Texas. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 39(5):1093-1107. ,
- 1999. Comparison of Green-Ampt and Curve Number Methods on Goodwin Creek Watershed Using SWAT. Transactions of the ASAE 42(4):919-925. , , and ,
- 1964. Chapter 25. Hydrology of Flood Control – Part II. Flood Routing. In : Handbook of Applied Hydrology, V.T.Chow (Editor). McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, pp. 25-34 to 25-59. ,
- 2004. Conceptualization and Simulation of the Edwards Aquifer, San Antonio Region, Texas, U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2004-5277. , , , , and ,
- 1997. Effect of Spatial Variability in Modeling River Basin Runoff. Ph.D. Thesis. Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. ,
- 1996. Effect of Spatial Variability on Basin Scale Modeling. In : Proceedings, Third International Conference/Workshop on Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling, Santa Fe, NM, January 21-26, 1996. National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis, Santa Barbara, California. http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/conf/SANTA_FE_CD-ROM/main.html, accessed March 5, 2009. , , , and ,
- 1998. Hydrologic Parameterization of Watersheds for Runoff Prediction Using SWAT. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34(5):1149-1162. and ,
- 2002. Scale-Dependent Soil and Climate Variability Effects on Watershed Water Balance of the SWAT Model. Journal of Hydrology 256:264-285. and ,
- 2004. Are Complexes in SCE-UA Necessary? In : Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, Vol. 1, S.-Y.Liong, K.-K.Phoon, and V.Babovic (Editors). World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd, Singapore, pp. 874-881. and ,
- 1970. River Flow Forecasting Through Conceptual Models, Part I-a Discussion of Principles. Journal of Hydrology 10:282-290. and ,
- 2002a. SWAT2000 User Manual. Texas Water Resources Institute, College Station, Texas. , , , , and ,
- 2002b. Pesticides Fate and Transport Predicted by the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) – Atrazine. Metolachlor and Trifluralin in the Sugar Creek Watershed, Grassland, Soil and Water Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service and Blackland Research Center, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Temple, Texas. , , and ,
- NOAA-NCDC (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration-National Climatic Data Center), 2006. Surface Data, Daily US. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov, accessed October 25, 2006.
- 2006. ArcGIS-SWAT: A Geodata Model and GIS Interface for SWAT. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 42(2):295-309. , , , , , , and ,
- 2001. Does a Large Number of Parameters Enhance Model Performance? Comparative Assessment of Common Catchment Model Structures on 429 Catchments. Journal of Hydrology 242:275-301. , , and ,
- 1999. Hydrologic Modeling/GIS as an Aid in Locating Monitoring Sites. Transactions of the ASAE 42(6):1591-1598. and ,
- Soil Conservation Service, 1972. Section 4: Hydrology, National Engineering Handbook. SCS, Washington, D.C.
- 2000. Simulation of Daily and Monthly Stream Discharge From Small Watersheds Using the SWAT Model. Transactions of the ASAE 43(6):1431-1439. , , and ,
- 2003. Identification and Prioritization of Critical Sub-Watersheds for Soil Conservation Management Using the SWAT Model. Biosystems Engineering 85(3):365-379. , , and ,
- 2006. Effect of Watershed Subdivision on Simulation of Water Balance Components. Hydrological Processes 20:1137-1156. , , and ,
- USDA-NRCS (U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service), 2006. State Soil Geographic Database. http://www.ncgc.nrcs.usda.gov/products/datasets/statsgo, accessed November 5, 2006.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 2006a. National Elevation Dataset. http://www.ned.usgs.gov, accessed November 5, 2006.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 2006b. National Land Cover Dataset 1992. http://www.landcover.usgs.gov/natlandcover.php, accessed November 5, 2006.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey), 2006c. Surface-Water Daily Data for the Nation. http://www.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis, accessed October 20, 2006.
- 2001. Long-Term Land Use Changes in a Mesoscale Watershed Due to Socio-Economics Factors – Effects on Landscape Structures and Functions. Ecological Modelling 140:125-140. , , and ,
- 1969. Flood Routing With Variable Travel Time or Variable Storage Coefficients. Transactions of the ASAE 12(1):100-103. ,