Paper No. JAWRA-10-0030-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
A Regional Modeling Framework of Phosphorus Sources and Transport in Streams of the Southeastern United States1
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 991–1010, October 2011
How to Cite
García, A. M., Hoos, A. B. and Terziotti, S. (2011), A Regional Modeling Framework of Phosphorus Sources and Transport in Streams of the Southeastern United States. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 991–1010. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2010.00517.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2011
- Received March 5, 2010; accepted November 23, 2010.
- 1993. The Clean Water Act 20 Years Later. Island Press, Washington, D.C., ISBN-13: 978-1559632669. , , and ,
- 2008. Differences in Phosphorus and Nitrogen Delivery to the Gulf of Mexico From the Mississippi River Basin. Environmental Science and Technology 42:822-830. , , , , , and ,
- 1998. Large Area Hydrologic Modeling and Assessment, Part I – Model Development. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34(1):73-89. , , , and ,
- 2001. Evaluation of the Phosphorus Index in Watersheds at the Regional Scale. Journal of Environmental Quality 30:2018-2025. and ,
- 1999. Nitrogen and Phosphorus Imports to the Cape Fear and Neuse River Basins to Support Intensive Livestock Production. Environmental Science and Technology 33(3):410-415. , , and ,
- 2008. Phosphorus Control Is Critical to Mitigating Eutrophication. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105(32):11039-11040. ,
- 1992. Estimating Fluvial Transport of Trace Constituents Using a Regression Model With Data Subject to Censoring. In : Proceedings of the Section on Statistics and the Environment of the American Statistical Association. American Statistical Association, The Association, Alexandria, Virginia, pp. 1-9. , , and ,
- 2004. Development of a Phosphorus Index for Pastures Fertilized With Poultry Litter-Factors Affecting Phosphorus Runoff. Journal of Environmental Quality 33:2183-2191. , ., , , , and ,
- 2008. Influence of Aluminum on Phosphorus Sorption in Organic Soils. Soil Science 173(2):119-129. , , and ,
- 2003. National Elevation Data, Resampled to 100 m. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. ftp://ftpint.usgs.gov/pub/er/va/reston/NAWQA_ENS/GIS_DATA/elevation/, accessed October 22, 2007. ,
- 2008. Assessing Manure Management Strategies Through Small-Plot Research and Whole-Farm Modeling. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 63(4):204-211. , , , , and ,
- 2006. Toward Reversal of Eutrophic Conditions in a Subtropical Estuary: Water Quality and Seagrass Response to Nitrogen Loading Reductions in Tampa Bay, Florida, USA. Environmental Management 38:163-178. and ,
- 2009. Trends in Water Quality in the Southeastern United States, 1973-2005. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5268, 25 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5268/, accessed January 12, 2010. , , , , and ,
- 2006. Phosphorus Concentrations and Loads in Runoff Water Under Crop Production. Soil Science Society of America Journal 70:1807-1816. , , , , and ,
- 2003. Making Process-Based Knowledge Useable at the Operational Level: A Framework for Modelling Diffuse Pollution From Agricultural Land. Environmental Modelling & Software 18:753-760. ,
- 2004. Phosphorus Retention and Soil Organic Carbon in Restored and Natural Freshwater Wetlands. Wetlands 24(3):573-585. , , and ,
- 2004. Development of a 2001 National Landcover Database for the United States. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 70(7):829-840. , , , , and ,
- 2001. Manuring and Fertilization Effects on Phosphorus Accumulation in Soils and Potential Environmental Implications. Advances in Environmental Research 5:13-21. , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. Spatial Analysis of Instream Nitrogen Loads and Factors Controlling Nitrogen Delivery to Streams in the Southeastern United States Using Spatially Referenced Regression on Watershed Attributes. Journal of Hydrological Processes 23(16):2275-2294. and ,
- 2008. Data to Support Statistical Modeling of Instream Nutrient Load Based on Watershed Attributes, Southeastern United States, 2002. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1163, 50 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1163/, accessed January 12, 2010. , , , , , and ,
- 1999. Fertilizers: Sustaining Global Food Supplies. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet FS-155-99, 4 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs155-99/, accessed November 17, 2010. , , , and ,
- 2005. Predicted Impact and Evaluation of North Carolina’s Phosphorus Indexing Tool. Journal of Environmental Quality 34:1801-1810. , , and ,
- 2009. Application of Manure to No-Till Soils: Phosphorus Losses by Sub-Surface and Surface Pathways. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 84:215-227. , , , , and ,
- 2007. Selection of a Water-Extractable Phosphorus Test for Manures and Biosolids as an Indicator of Runoff Loss Potential. Journal of Environmental Quality 36(5):1357-1367. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2005. Survey of Water-Extractable Phosphorus in Livestock Manures. Soil Science of America Journal 69:701-708. , , , , and ,
- 1985. Conservation Practice Effects on Phosphorus Losses From Southern Piedmont Watersheds. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 40(1):157-161. , , and ,
- 2008. Regulation of Eutrophication Susceptibility in Oligohaline Regions of a Northern Gulf of Mexico Estuary, Mobile Bay, Alabama. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56(8):1446-1460. ,
- 1993. The Concept and Need for a Phosphorus Assessment Tool. Journal of Production Agriculture 6(4):483-486. and ,
- 2007. Methods for Estimating Annual Wastewater Nutrient Loads in the Southeastern United States. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007–1040, Reston, Virginia, 81 pp. , , and ,
- North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 1999. Tar-Pamlico River Basinwide Water Quality Plan. http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/basinwide/tarpam_draft_dec2003, accessed October 23, 2009.
- Oregon State University, 2007. 800 m Normals (1971-2000): Oregon State University, PRISM Group. Corvallis, Oregon. http://prism.oregonstate.edu/, accessed August 2007.
- 2006. Comparing Ratings of the Southern Phosphorus Indices. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 61(6):325-337. , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. Controlling Eutrophication Along the Freshwater-Marine Continuum: Dual Nutrient (N and P) Reductions Are Essential. Estuaries and Coasts 32:593-601. ,
- 1983. Nutrient Loading Estimates for Lakes. Journal of Environmental Engineering 109(2):502-517. and ,
- 1980. Modeling Phosphorus Loading and Lake Response Under Uncertainty: A Manual and Compilation of Export Coefficients. U.S. EPA Report No. EPA-440/5-80-011, Office of Water Regulations, Criteria and Standards Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. , , and ,
- 2006. County-Level Estimates of Nutrient Inputs to the Land Surface of the Conterminous United States, 1982-2001. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5012, Reston, Virginia. , , and ,
- 2008. Eutrophication of Lakes Cannot Be Controlled by Reducing Nitrogen Input: Results of a 37-Year Whole-Ecosystem Experiment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105(32):11254-11258. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2006. The SPARROW Surface Water-Quality Model: Theory, Application, and User Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods Report, Book 6, Chapter B3, Reston, Virginia. , , , and ,
- 1993. Phosphorus Movement in the Landscape. Journal of Production Agriculture 6:492-500. , , and ,
- 2003. Development of Phosphorus Indices for Nutrient Management Planning Strategies in the U.S. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 58:137-152. , , , , , , and ,
- 1998. Loadings of Total Nitrogen, Total Phosphorus, and Total Suspended Solids to Charlotte Harbor. In : Proceedings of the Charlotte Harbor Public Conference and Technical Symposium, 1997 March 15-16, Punta Gorda, Florida, S.F. Treat (Editor). Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program Technical Report 98-92, South Florida Water Management District, West Palm Beach, Florida, pp. 187-200. , , and ,
- Southwest Florida Water Management District, 2001. Peace River Comprehensive Watershed Management Plan. http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/documents/plans/cwm/cwm-peaceriverpart1.pdf, accessed September 29, 2009.
- 2009. Mapping Watershed Potential to Contribute Phosphorus From Geologic Materials to Receiving Streams, Southeastern United States. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3102, Reston, Virginia, 1 pl. , , , and ,
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1994. State Soil Geographic (STATSGO) Database Data Use Information: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service. Miscellaneous Publication 1492, Washington, D.C., 113 pp.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1999. Unified National Strategy for Animal Feeding Operations. March 9, 1999. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/finafost.pdf, accessed May 13, 2008.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 4, 2004. Total Maximum Daily Load Development for the Lakes of the Upper St. Johns River Basin: Lake Hell n’ Blazes to Lake Poinsett – Nutrients, Chlorophyll-a and Dissolved Oxygen. http://www.epa.gov/waters/tmdldocs/10809_FINAL%20TMDL%20FL10809.pdf, accessed September 29, 2009.
- 1977. Sediment Yield Computed With Universal Equation. Journal of Hydraulics Division, Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers 98(12):2087-2098. and ,