Paper No. JAWRA-10-0175-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Nutrient Loadings to Streams of the Continental United States from Municipal and Industrial Effluent1
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 950–964, October 2011
How to Cite
Maupin, M. A. and Ivahnenko, T. (2011), Nutrient Loadings to Streams of the Continental United States from Municipal and Industrial Effluent. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 950–964. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00576.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 6, 2010; accepted March 17, 2011.
- GAO (General Accounting Office), 2000. Water Quality: Key EPA and State Decisions Limited by Inconsistent and Incomplete Data. GAO/RCED-00-54, Washington, D.C.
- 1984. An Overview of the RFF Environmental Data Inventory: Methods, Sources and Preliminary Results, Vol. 1. Resources for the Future, Washington, D.C., 111 pp. and ,
- 2008. Data to Support Statistical Modeling of Instream Nutrient Load Based on Watershed Attributes, Southeastern United States, 2002. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1163, 50 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1163/. , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Calibration of a Watershed Model for Metropolitan Atlanta. Water Environment Federation TMDL 2003 Conference Proceedings. http://hspf.com/pdf/MetropolitanAtlanta.pdf, accessed on September 21, 2010. , , , and ,
- 1976. The National Residuals Discharge Inventory: An Analysis of the Generation, Discharge, Cost of Control, and Regional Distribution of Liquid Wastes to be Expected in Achieving the Requirements of Public Law 92-500, Consultants Report to the Study Committee on Water Quality Policy, Environmental Studies Board, Commission on Natural Resources. National Research Council, Washington, D.C. , , and ,
- 2007. Methods for Estimating Annual Wastewater Nutrient Loads in the Southeastern United States. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1040, 81 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1040/. , , and ,
- 2004. Estimation of Total Nitrogen and Phosphorus in New England Streams Using Spatially Referenced Regression Models. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigation Report 2004-5012, 50 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2004/5012/. , , , and ,
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), 1999. Coastal Assessment and Data Synthesis (CA&DS) Framework, National Coastal Assessment (NCA) Branch, Special Projects (SP) Office, National Ocean Services (NOS). Silver Spring, Maryland. http://coastalgeospatial.noaa.gov/documentation/ncdpi/ncpdi_doc.pdf, accessed on September 21, 2010.
- Office of Management and Budget, 1987. Standard Industrial Classification Manual. Office of Management and Budget, Washington, D.C., 705 pp.
- Factors Affecting Stream Nutrient Loads: A Synthesis of Regional SPARROW Model Results for the Continental United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00577.x. , , , and , this issue.
- 2009. SPARROW MODELING – Enhancing Understanding of the Nation’s Water Quality. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2009-3019, 6 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3019/. , , , and ,
- 1999. Application of Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling for the Evaluation of Total Nitrogen Loading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigation Report 1999-4054, 12 pp. http://md.water.usgs.gov/publications/wrir-99-4054/pdf/SPARROW.pdf. and ,
- Nutrient Inputs to the Laurentian Great Lakes by Source and Watershed Estimated Using SPARROW Watershed Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00574.x. and , this issue.
- 1997. Regional Interpretation of Water-Quality Monitoring Data. Water Resources Research 33(12):2781-2798. , , and ,
- USC (United States Code), amended in 2002. Federal Water Pollution Control Act (a.k.a. Clean Water Act), 33 U.S.C. Secs. 101-607. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/cwa.html, accessed April 2009.
- USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture), 1994. 1992 Census of Agriculture, United States Summary and State Data, Vol. 1, Chapter 2. http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/1992/Volume_1_State_Level/index.asp, accessed on January 4, 2010.
- USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture), 1998. 1997 Census of Agriculture, United States State Level Data, Vol. 1, Chapter 1. http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/1997/Vol_1_National_State_and_County_Tables/index.asp, accessed on January 4, 2010.
- USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture), 2004. 2002 Census of Agriculture, United States Summary and State Data, Geographic Area Series AC-02-A-51, part 51, Vol. 1. USDA, Washington, D.C. 633 pp.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 1988. Summary of Effluent Characteristics and Guidelines for Selected Industrial Point Source Categories: Industry Status Sheets, Washington, DC. Prepared by Versar, Inc., Springfield, Virginia.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2000. Nutrient Criteria Technical Guidance Manual – Rivers and Streams. EPA-822-B-00-002, Office of Water, Washington, D.C. 253 pp.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2006a. Reassessment of Point Source Nutrient Mass Loadings to the Mississippi River Basin, November, 2006, Mississippi River/Gulf of Mexico Watershed Nutrient Task Force, 31 pp. http://www.epa.gov/owow_keep/msbasin/pdf/point_source_loading_assessment.pdf, accessed on September 21, 2010.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2006b. Gulf Hypoxia Action Plan 2008. http://www.epa.gov/owow_keep/msbasin/pdf/ghap2008_update082608.pdf, accessed on September 21, 2010.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2006c. Envirofacts Data Warehouse, Permit Compliance System. http://www.epa.gov/enviro/html/pcs/pcs_query_java.html, accessed on September 21, 2010.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2007. National Water Quality Inventory: Report to Congress, 2002 Reporting Cycle, 30 pp. http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/guidance/cwa/305b/2002report_index.cfm, accessed on September 22, 2010.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2009. An Urgent Call to Action – Report of the State-EPA Nutrient Innovations Task Group. http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/waterquality/standards/criteria/aqlife/pollutants/nutrient/upload/2009_08_27_criteria_nutrient_nitgreport.pdf, accessed on September 21, 2010.
- 1990. Availability and Suitability of Municipal Wastewater Information for Use in a National Water-Quality Assessment: A Case Study of the Upper Illinois River Basin in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 90-375, 68 pp. , , , and ,