Paper No. JAWRA-10-0178-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Factors Affecting Stream Nutrient Loads: A Synthesis of Regional SPARROW Model Results for the Continental United States†
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 891–915, October 2011
How to Cite
Preston, S. D., Alexander, R. B., Schwarz, G. E. and Crawford, C. G. (2011), Factors Affecting Stream Nutrient Loads: A Synthesis of Regional SPARROW Model Results for the Continental United States. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 891–915. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00577.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 7, 2010; accepted March 17, 2011.
- 2003. Is Nitrogen Deposition Altering the Nitrogen Status of Northeastern Forests? BioScience 53:375-389. , , , , , , , and ,
- 2002. Estimating the Sources and Transport of Nutrients in the Waikato River Basin, New Zealand. Water Resources Research 38:1268-1290. , , , and ,
- 2000. Effect of Stream Channel Size on the Delivery of Nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature 403:758-761. , , and ,
- 2008. Differences in Phosphorus and Nitrogen Delivery to the Gulf of Mexico from the Mississippi River Basin. Environmental Science and Technology 42(3):822-830. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es0716103 . , , , , , and ,
- 2002. Estimates of the Atmospheric Deposition of Sulfur and Nitrogen Species: Clean Air Status and Trends Network, 1990-2000. Environmental Science and Technology 36:2614-2629. , , , and ,
- 1982. An Examination of Land Use-Nutrient Export Relationships. Water Resources Bulletin 18:1013-1024. and ,
- 2006. Modeling Denitrification in Terrestrial and Aquatic Ecosystems at Regional Scales. Ecological Applications 16:2123-2142. , , , , , , , and ,
- Nutrient Sources and Transport in the Missouri River Basin, With Emphasis on the Effects of Irrigation and Reservoirs. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00584.x , , and , this issue.
- 1998. Nonpoint Pollution of Surface Waters with Phosphorus and Nitrogen. Ecological Applications 8:559-568. , , , , , and ,
- 2007. Nitrogen Isotopes as Indicators of NOx Sources Contributions to Atmospheric Deposition Across the Midwestern and Northeastern United States. Environmental Science and Technology 41:7661-7667. , , , , , , , and ,
- GAO (General Accounting Office), 2000. Water Quality: Key EPA and State Decisions Limited by Inconsistent and Incomplete Data. GAO/RCED-00-54. U.S. General Accounting Office, Washington, D.C.
- A Regional Modeling Framework of Phosphorus Sources and Transport in Streams of the Southeastern United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2010.00517.x , , and , this issue.
- 2005. Nitrogen Deposition on the United States and Western Europe: Synthesis of Observations and Models. Ecological Applications 15:38-57. , , , and ,
- 2009. Spatial Analysis of Instream Nitrogen Loads and Factors Controlling Nitrogen Delivery to Streams in the Southeastern United States Using Spatially Referenced Regression on Watershed Attributes. Journal of Hydrological Processes 23(16):2275-2294. and ,
- 1996. Riverine Inputs of Nitrogen to the North Atlantic Ocean: Fluxes and Human Influences. Biogeochemistry 35:75-139. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. Catchments as Simple Dynamical Systems: Catchment Characterization, Rainfall-Runoff Modeling, and Doing Hydrology Backward. Water Resources Research 45:W02429. ,
- Nutrient Loadings to Streams of the Continental United States from Municipal and Industrial Effluent. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00576.x. and , this issue.
- 2007. Moving Beyond Heterogeneity and Process Complexity: A New Vision for Watershed Hydrology. Water Resources Research 43:W07301. , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- Source and Delivery of Nutrients to Receiving Waters in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic Regions of the United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00582.x. , , , and , this issue.
- NRC (National Research Council), 2000. Clean Coastal Waters: Understanding and Reducing the Effects of Nutrient Pollution. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- NRC (National Research Council), 2009. Urban Stormwater Management in the United States. The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.
- SPARROW Modeling to Understand Water-Quality Conditions in Major Regions of the United States: A Featured Collection Introduction. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00585.x. , and , this issue.
- 2009. SPARROW MODELING – Enhancing Understanding of the Nation’s Water Quality. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2009-3019, p. 6. , , , and ,
- 1999. Application of Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling for the Evaluation of Total Nitrogen Loading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report 99-4054, 12 pp. http://md.water.usgs.gov/publications/wrir-99-4054/. and ,
- 2005. Nonlinear Regression Modeling of Nutrient Loads in Streams: A Bayesian Approach. Water Resources Research 41, doi: 10.1029/2005WR003986. , , , and ,
- Sources and Delivery of Nutrients to the Northwestern Gulf of Mexico From Streams in the South-Central United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00583.x. , , , , , and , this issue.
- Nutrient Inputs to the Laurentian Great Lakes by Source and Watershed Estimated Using SPARROW Watershed Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00574.x. and , this issue.
- 2010. New Challenges in Integrated Water Quality Modeling. Hydrological Processes 24:3447-3461, doi: 10.1002/hyp.7766. , , , , , , and ,
- A Multi-Agency Nutrient Dataset Used to Estimate Loads, Improve Monitoring Design, and Calibrate Regional Nutrient SPARROW Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00575.x. , , and , this issue.
- The Regionalization of National-Scale SPARROW Models for Stream Nutrients. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00581.x. , , , and , this issue.
- 2006. The SPARROW Surface Water-Quality Model: Theory, Application and User Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods Report, Book 6, Chapter B3. , , , and ,
- 2008. Phosphorus Loss from an Agricultural Watershed as a Function of Storm Size. Journal of Environmental Quality 37:362-368. , , , , , and ,
- 2000. Sources of Nutrients in the Nation’s Watersheds. In : Managing Nutrients and Pathogens from Animal Agriculture. Proceedings From the Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service Conference for Nutrient Management Consultants, Extension Educators, and Producer Advisors, March 28-30, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, Natural Resource, Agriculture and Engineering Service, Ithaca, New York. and ,
- 1997. Regional Interpretation of Water-Quality Monitoring Data. Water Resources Research 33:2781-2798. , , and ,
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2007. National Water Quality Inventory. Report of Congress 2002 Reporting Cycle, EPA841-R-07-001, Office of Water, Washington, D.C.
- 2011a. Attributes for MRB_E2RF1 Catchments by Major River Basins in the Conterminous United States, U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DS-491. http://water.usgs.gov/nawqa/modeling/rf1attributes.html. and ,
- 2011b. Attributes for NHDPlus Catchments (Version 1.1) for the Conterminous United States, U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DS-490. http://water.usgs.gov/nawqa/modeling/nhdplusattributes.html. and ,
- Surface-Water Nutrient Conditions and Sources in the United States Pacific Northwest. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00580.x. and , this issue.