Paper No. JAWRA-10-0110-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Modeled Sources, Transport, and Accumulation of Dissolved Solids in Water Resources of the Southwestern United States1
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1087–1109, October 2011
How to Cite
Anning, D. W. (2011), Modeled Sources, Transport, and Accumulation of Dissolved Solids in Water Resources of the Southwestern United States. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 1087–1109. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00579.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 5, 2010; accepted March 17, 2011.
- dissolved solids;
- basin-fill aquifers;
Anning, David W., 2011. Modeled Sources, Transport, and Accumulation of Dissolved Solids in Water Resources of the Southwestern United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 47(5):1087-1109. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00579.x
Abstract: Information on important source areas for dissolved solids in streams of the southwestern United States, the relative share of deliveries of dissolved solids to streams from natural and human sources, and the potential for salt accumulation in soil or groundwater was developed using a SPAtially Referenced Regressions On Watershed attributes model. Predicted area-normalized reach-catchment delivery rates of dissolved solids to streams ranged from <10 (kg/year)/km2 for catchments with little or no natural or human-related solute sources in them to 563,000 (kg/year)/km2 for catchments that were almost entirely cultivated land. For the region as a whole, geologic units contributed 44% of the dissolved-solids deliveries to streams and the remaining 56% of the deliveries came from the release of solutes through irrigation of cultivated and pasture lands, which comprise only 2.5% of the land area. Dissolved-solids accumulation is manifested as precipitated salts in the soil or underlying sediments, and (or) dissolved salts in soil-pore or sediment-pore water, or groundwater, and therefore represents a potential for aquifer contamination. Accumulation rates were <10,000 (kg/year)/km2 for many hydrologic accounting units (large river basins), but were more than 40,000 (kg/year)/km2 for the Middle Gila, Lower Gila-Agua Fria, Lower Gila, Lower Bear, Great Salt Lake accounting units, and 247,000 (kg/year)/km2 for the Salton Sea accounting unit.