Paper No. JAWRA-10-0110-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Modeled Sources, Transport, and Accumulation of Dissolved Solids in Water Resources of the Southwestern United States1
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1087–1109, October 2011
How to Cite
Anning, D. W. (2011), Modeled Sources, Transport, and Accumulation of Dissolved Solids in Water Resources of the Southwestern United States. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 1087–1109. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00579.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue online: 10 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 5, 2010; accepted March 17, 2011.
- 2008. Differences in Phosphorus and Nitrogen Delivery to the Gulf of Mexico From the Mississippi River Basin. Environmental Science and Technology 42(3):822-830, doi: 10.1021/es0716103. , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Worldwide Distribution of Continental Rock Lithology: Implications for the Atmospheric/Soil CO2 Uptake by Continental Weathering and Alkalinity River Transport to the Oceans. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17(2):1038. , , and ,
- 2003. Assessment of Selected Inorganic Constituents in Streams in the Central Arizona Basins Study Area, Arizona and Northern Mexico, Through 1998. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 03-4063, 116 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/wri034063/, accessed October 2010. ,
- 2007. Dissolved Solids in Basin-Fill Aquifers and Streams in the Southwestern United States. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5315, 336 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2006/5315/, accessed October 2010. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1994. Water Quality for Agriculture. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 29 Rev. 1. http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/T0234E/T0234E00.HTM, accessed November 2004. and ,
- 2007. Hydrogeology of the Coconino Plateau and Adjacent Areas, Coconino and Yavapai Counties, Arizona. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2005-5222, 101 pp., 4 plates. , , and ,
- 1994. Lithologic and Climatologic Controls of River Chemistry. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 58(10):2341-2359. and ,
- Bureau of Reclamation, 2005. Colorado River Basin Salinity Control Program Overview. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/progact/salinity/, accessed January 2005.
- Central Arizona Salinity Study, 2003. Phase 1 Executive Summary, 3 pp. http://www.bcportals.com/cass/public/default.cfm, accessed January 2010 (prepared by Brown and Caldwell).
- 2002. Effect of the Paradox Valley Unit on the Dissolved-Solids Load of the Dolores River Near Bedrock, Colorado, 1988-2001. U.S. Geolological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report 2002-4275, 6 pp. ,
- 2002. Dissolved-Solids Load Contribution of the Pennsylvanian Eagle Valley Evaporite to the Colorado River, West-Central Colorado. In: Late Cenozoic Evaporite Tectonism and Volcanism in West-Central Colorado, R.M. Kirkham, R.B. Scott, and T.W. Judkins (Editors). Geological Society of America Special Paper 366, Boulder, Colorado, pp. 149-155. and ,
- 2000. Toxicity of Total Dissolved Solids Associated With Two Mine Effluents to Chironomid Larvae and Early Lifestages of Rainbow Trout. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 19:201-214. , , and ,
- Colorado River Basin Salinity Control Forum, 2005. Water Quality Standards for Salinity, Colorado River System, 2005 Review. http://www.coloradoriversalinity.org/2005%20Review%20October.pdf, accessed January 2005.
- 1946. Physical Divisions of the United States. U.S. Geological Survey, 1 sheet, scale 1:7,000,000. and ,
- 2003. Chemical Denudation Rates of the Western Canadian Orogenic Belt: The Stikine Terrane. Chemical Geology 2001:257-279. , , and ,
- 1987. Average Annual Runoff in the United States, 1951-80. U.S. Geological Survey Hydrologic Atlas 710, 1 sheet, scales 1:7,500,000 and 1:17,000,000. http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/ha/ha710, accessed January 2005. , , and ,
- GeoLytics, Inc., 2001. Census CD Short Form Blocks. GeoLytics, Inc., East Brunswick, New Jersey (compact disk).
- 1999. Chemical Weathering and Lithologic Controls of Water Chemistry in a High Elevation River System: Clark’s Fork of the Yellowstone River, Wyoming and Montana. Water Resources Research 35(5):1643-1655. , , , and ,
- 1965. Water Resources of the Upper Colorado River Basin– Technical Report. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 441, 370 pp. http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/pp/pp441, accessed January 2005. , , and ,
- 2009. Spatially Referenced Statistical Assessment of Dissolved-Solids Load Sources and Transport in Streams of the Upper Colorado River Basin. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5007, 50 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5007/, accessed October 2010. , , , and ,
- 1974. Geologic Map of the United States. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 901, 40 pp., 2 pl. http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds11/kb.html, accessed April 2005. and ,
- Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, 1999. Salinity Management Study, Final Report, Technical Appendice 10: Salt Balance in Metropolitan’s Service Area. Prepared by Bookman-Edmonston Engineering, Inc., Glendale, California.
- 1961. Geology in Relation to Availability of Water Along the South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 1475-C, 138 pp. ,
- 1987. Global Chemical Weathering of Surficial Rocks Estimated From River Dissolved Loads. American Journal of Science 287:401-428. ,
- 2002. The Global Control of Silicate Weathering Rates and the Coupling With Physical Erosion: New Insights From Rivers of the Canadian Shield. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 196:83-98. , , , and ,
- 2003. Northern Latitude Chemical Weathering Rates: Clues From the Mackenzie River Basin, Canada. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 67(7):1305-1329. , , , and ,
- 2003. Quantifying the Salinization of the Rio Grande Using Environmental Tracers. Master’s Thesis, Department of Earth and Environmental Science, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Hydrology, Socorro, New Mexico. ,
- 2002. Enhanced River Reach File 2.0. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 02-40. http://water.usgs.gov/GIS/metadata/usgswrd/XML/erf1_2.xml, accessed January 2005. , , , and ,
- 2001. Effects of Total Dissolved Solids on Aquatic Organisms. Technical Report No. 01-06. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Juneau, Alaska. http://www.habitat.adfg.alaska.gov/tech_reports/01_06.pdf, accessed January 2005. and ,
- 1997. Geology of the Conterminous United States at 1:2,500,000 Scale – A Digital Representation of the 1974 P.B. King and H.M. Beikman Map. U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DDS-11, Release 2. http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds11/index.html, accessed January 2005. , , and ,
- 2006. The SPARROW Surface Water-Quality Model – Theory, Applications, and User Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods Report, book 6, chap. B3, 248 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/2006/tm6b3/contents.htm, accessed October 2009. , , , and ,
- 1987. Hydrologic Unit Maps. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 2294, 63 pp., 1 sheet. http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/wsp/wsp2294, accessed January 2005. , , and ,
- 1968. A Comparative Study of Various Tests for Normality. Journal of the American Statistical Association 63:1343-1372. , , and ,
- 1997. Regional Interpretation of Water-Quality Monitoring Data. Water Resources Research 33(12):2781-2798. , , and ,
- 1983. Geochemistry of the Amazon 2. The Influence of Geology and Weathering Environment on the Dissolved Load. Journal of Geophysical Research 88(14):9671-9688. and ,
- 1990. Agricultural Salinity Assessment and Management: Manuals of Practice 71. American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, New York, 632 pp. ,
- 2009. Salinization of the Upper Colorado River – Fingerprinting Geologic Salt Sources: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5072, 62 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5072/pdf/SIR09-5072.pdf, accessed January 2011. and ,
- U.S. Department of the Interior, 2005. Quality of Water – Colorado River Basin, Progress Report No. 22. U.S. Department of the Interior, 69 pp. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/progact/salinity/pdfs/PR22.pdf, accessed October 2009.
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2005. Enhanced National Land Cover Data 1992 Revised With 200 Population Data to Indicate Urban Development Between 1992 and 2000 (NLCDep0905), Version 2. U.S. Geological Survey Digital Dataset. http://water.usgs.gov/GIS/metadata/usgswrd/XML/nlcdep0905.xml, accessed January 2006.
- 2001. Completion of the 1990s National Land Cover Data Set for the Conterminous United States From Landsat Thematic Mapper Data and Ancillary Data Sources. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 67:650-652. , , , , , and ,