Paper No. JAWRA-10-0102-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Surface-Water Nutrient Conditions and Sources in the United States Pacific Northwest1
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1110–1135, October 2011
How to Cite
Wise, D. R. and Johnson, H. M. (2011), Surface-Water Nutrient Conditions and Sources in the United States Pacific Northwest. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 1110–1135. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00580.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue online: 10 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 6, 2010; accepted May 2, 2011.
- 1992. Nitrogen Cycling and Nitrogen Saturation in Temperate Forest Ecosystems. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 7:220-223. ,
- 2000. Effect of Stream Channel Size on the Delivery of Nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature 403(6770):758-761. , , and ,
- 2001. Atmospheric Nitrogen Flux From the Watersheds of Major Estuaries of the United States: An Application of the SPARROW Watershed Model. In : Nitrogen Loading in Coastal Water Bodies: An Atmospheric Perspective, American Geophysical Union Monograph 57, Richard Valigura, Richard Alexander, Mark Castro, Tilden Meyers, Hans Paerl, Paul Stacey, and R. Eugene Turner (Editors). American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C., pp. 119-170. , , , , , , and ,
- 2002. Ecological Effects on Streams From Forest Fertilization—Literature Review and Conceptual Framework for Future Study in the Western Cascades. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 01-4047, 49 pp. ,
- 1982. An Examination of Land Use – Nutrient Export Relationships. Water Resources Bulletin 18(6):1013-1024. and ,
- 1992. Effects of Forest Fertilization on Water Quality and Aquatic Resources in the Douglas-Fir Region. In : Forest Fertilization: Sustaining and Improving Nutrition and Growth of Western Forests, R.E. Miller (Editor). University of Washington, College of Forest Resources, Seattle, pp. 179-193. , , , and ,
- this issue. Digital Hydrologic Networks Supporting Applications Related to Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00578.x. , , and ,
- 2007. Effects of Nutrient Enrichment in the Nation’s Estuaries: A Decade of Change. NOAA Coastal Ocean Program Decision Analysis Series No. 26. National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Silver Spring, Maryland, 328 pp. , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. Coupling Between the Coastal Ocean and Yaquina Bay, Oregon: Importance of Oceanic Inputs Relative to Other Nitrogen Sources. Estuaries and Coasts 33:87-117. and ,
- 1973. Nutrient Losses After Clear-Cut Logging and Slash Burning in the Oregon Coast Range. Water Resources Research 9(5):1450-1453. , , and ,
- 1991. Forest Fertilization Research and Practice in the Pacific Northwest. Fertilizer Research 27:129-140. , , , and ,
- 1997. Assessment of Nutrients, Suspended Sediment and Pesticides in Surface Water of the Upper Snake River Basin, Idaho and Western Wyoming, Water Years 1991-95. U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigation Report 97-4020, 45 pp. ,
- 2003. Nitrogen Export From Forested Watersheds in the Oregon Coast Range: The Role of N2-Fixing Red Alder. Ecosystems 6:773-785. , , , and ,
- 2005. Nutrient Criteria Development With a Linked Modeling System: Watershed and Ecological Model Application and Linkage. Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation, Alexandria, Virginia, pp. 856-884. , , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Concentrations and Loads of Sediment and Nutrients in Surface Water of the Yakima River Basin, Washington, 1999-2000 – With an Analysis of Trends in Concentrations. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 03-4026, 100 pp. , , and ,
- 1995. Biogeochemistry of an Old-Growth Forested Watershed, Olympic National Park, Washington. Water Resources Bulletin 31(3):409-419. , , and ,
- 1998. Nutrient Transport in Rivers of the Puget Sound Basin, Washington 1980-1993. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigation Report 97-4270, 30 pp. and ,
- 1990. The Role of Rock Weathering in the Phosphorus Budget of Terrestrial Watersheds. Biogeochemistry 11:97-110. ,
- 2009. Nutrient Concentration Dynamics in an Inland Pacific Northwest Watershed Before and After Timber Harvest. Forest Ecology and Management 257:1663-1675. , , , and ,
- 2006. Biology and Ecology of Red Alder. In : Red Alder: A State of Knowledge, R.L. Deal and C.A. Harrington (Editors). General Technical Report PNW-GTR-669. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon, pp. 21-54. ,
- 2008. Developing Nutrient Criteria and Classification Schemes for Wadeable Streams in the Conterminous U.S. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 27(4):932-948. and ,
- 2004. Development of a 2001 National Landcover Database for the United States. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 70:829-840. , , , , and ,
- 2009. Spatial Analysis of Instream Nitrogen Loads and Factors Controlling Nitrogen Delivery to Streams in the Southeastern United States Using Spatially Referenced Regressions on Watershed Attributes (SPARROW) and Regional Classification Frameworks. Hydrological Processes 22(16):2275-2294. and ,
- 2007. Assessing the U.S. Clean Water Act 303(d) Listing Process for Determining Impairment of a Waterbody. Journal of Environmental Management 86(2008):699-711. and ,
- King County, 2010. Initial Assessment of Nutrient Loading to Quartermaster Harbor. King County, Seattle, 61 pp.
- LEMMA (Landscape, Ecology, Modeling, Mapping and Analysis), 2008. Interagency Mapping and Assessment Project. http://www.fsl.orst.edu/lemma/main.php?project=imap&id=studyAreas, accessed August 27, 2008.
- 1988. Precipitation and Streamwater Chemistry From Undisturbed Watersheds in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 42:203-219. and ,
- this issue. Nutrient Loadings to Streams of the Continental United States From Municipal and Industrial Effluent. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00576.x. and ,
- 2004. Estimation of Total Nitrogen and Phosphorus in New England Streams Using Spatially Referenced Regression Models. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2004-5012, 50 pp. , , , and ,
- 1979. Structure of Coniferous Forest Communities in Western Washington: Diversity and Ecotype Properties. Vegetation 41(3):143-154. and ,
- NADP (National Atmospheric Deposition Program), 2011. National Trends Network. http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/, accessed January 21, 2011.
- National Research Council, 2001. Assessing the TMDL Approach to Water Quality Management. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 109 pp.
- 2002. The Origin, Composition and Rates of Organic Nitrogen Deposition: A Missing Piece of the Nitrogen Cycle? Biogeochemistry 57/58:99-136. , , , , and ,
- 2002. Enhanced River Reach File 2. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 02-40, http://water.usgs.gov/GIS/metadata/usgswrd/XML/erf1_2.xml, accessed June 13, 2009. , , , and ,
- NRCS (Natural Resource Conservation Service), 1997. Washington Supplement to the National Irrigation Handbook, Part 652, Irrigation Guide. United State Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 820 pp.
- 2001. Control of Nitrogen Export From Watersheds by Headwater Streams. Science 292(5514):86-90. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. SPARROW Modeling—Enhancing Understanding of the Nation’s Water Quality. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2009-3019, 6 pp. , , , and ,
- 1999. Application of Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling for the Evaluation of Total Nitrogen Loading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report 99-4054, Baltimore, Maryland, 11 pp. and ,
- 2005. A Predictive Approach to Nutrient Criteria. Environmental Science & Technology 39(9):2913-2919. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2006. County-Level Estimates of Nutrient Inputs to the Land Surface of the Conterminous United States, 1982-2001. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5012, 17 pp. , , and ,
- 1996. Major Sources of Nitrogen Input and Loss in the Upper Snake River Basin, Idaho and Western Wyoming, 1990. U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Investigation Report 96-4008, 15 pp. ,
- this issue. A Multi-Agency Nutrient Dataset Used to Estimate Loads, Improve Monitoring Design, and Calibrate Regional Nutrient SPARROW Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00574.x. , , , and ,
- 2009. Watershed Nitrogen Input and Riverine Export on the West Coast of the U.S. Biogeochemistry 92:219-233. and ,
- 2006. The SPARROW Surface Water-Quality Model—Theory, Applications and User Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey, Techniques and Methods 6-B3 and CD—ROM, 248 pp. , , , and ,
- 1997. Regional Interpretation of Water-Quality Monitoring Data. Water Resources Research 33(12):2781-2798. , , and ,
- 2003. Natural Background Concentrations of Nutrients in Streams and Rivers of the Conterminous United States. Environmental Science & Technology 37(14):3039-3047. , , and ,
- U.S. Census Bureau, 1990. Summary Tape File 3 (STF 3) – Sample Data. Washington, D.C. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DatasetMainPageServlet?_ds_name=DEC_1990_STF3_&_program=DEC&_lang=en, accessed March 17, 2009.
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Economic Research Service, 2009. Environmental Interactions With Agricultural Production: Grazing Lands and Environmental Quality. Washington, D.C. http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/agandenvironment/grazinglands.htm, accessed January 21, 2011.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 1997. Level III Ecoregions of the Conterminous United States (Revision of Omernik, 1987). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory MAP M-1, various scales. Washington, D.C.
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), 2000. Nutrient Criteria Technical Guidance Manual—Rivers and Streams. Office of Water. EPA 822B-00-002. Washington, D.C.
- USGAO (U.S. General Accounting Office), 2001. Water Quality: Key EPA and State Decisions Limited by Inconsistent and Incomplete Data. U.S. General Accounting Office, GAO/RCED-00-54, Washington, D.C., 78 pp.
- USGS (United States Geological Survey), 2004. The National Geochemical Survey – Database and Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1001. http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/, accessed August 1, 2008.
- 2003. Biogeochemistry of Unpolluted Forested Watersheds in the Oregon Cascades: Temporal Patterns of Precipitation and Stream Nitrogen Fluxes. Biogeochemistry 62:87-117. , , and ,
- 1998. Water Quality in the Willamette Basin, Oregon, 1991-95. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1161, 34 pp. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2011. Attributes for MRB_E2RF1 Catchments by Major River Basins in the Conterminous United States (U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DS-491). http://water.usgs.gov/nawqa/modeling/rf1attributes.html, accessed June 1, 2008. and ,
- 1998. Water Quality in the Central Columbia Plateau, Washington and Idaho, 1992-95. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1144, 35 pp. , , , , , and ,
- 2007. Nutrient and Suspended-Sediment Transport and Trends in the Columbia River and Puget Sound Basins, 1993-2003. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5186, 116 pp. , , , , , , , and ,
- 2003. Hydrologic Landscape Regions of the United States. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 03-145, digital data set. http://water.usgs.gov/lookup/getspatial?hlrus, accessed May 13, 2011 ,
- WRI (World Resources Institute), 2011. Eutrophication and Hypoxia – Sources of Nutrient Pollution. http://www.wri.org/project/eutrophication/about/sources, accessed January 25, 2011.