Paper No. JAWRA-10-0167-P of the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Discussions are open until six months from print publication.
Nutrient Sources and Transport in the Missouri River Basin, with Emphasis on the Effects of Irrigation and Reservoirs1
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Water Resources Association. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1034–1060, October 2011
How to Cite
Brown, J. B., Sprague, L. A. and Dupree, J. A. (2011), Nutrient Sources and Transport in the Missouri River Basin, with Emphasis on the Effects of Irrigation and Reservoirs. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47: 1034–1060. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00584.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
This article was published online on August 22, 2011. Errors were subsequently identified. This notice is included in the online and print versions to indicate that both have been corrected September 22, 2011.
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received October 6, 2010; accepted May 2, 2011.
- 2000. Effect of Stream Channel Size on the Delivery of Nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature 403:758-761, and Supplementary Information, doi: 10.1038/35001562. , , and ,
- 2004. Estimates of Diffuse Phosphorus Sources in Surface Waters of the United States Using a Spatially Referenced Watershed Model. Water Science and Technology 49(3):1-10. , , and ,
- 2008. Differences in Phosphorus and Nitrogen Delivery to the Gulf of Mexico From the Mississippi River. Environmental Science and Technology 42(3):822-830, and Supporting Information, doi: 10.1021/es0716103. , , , , , and ,
- 1997. Nitrogen Losses and Fertilizer N Use Efficiency in Irrigated Porous Soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 47(3):197-212, doi: 10.1007/BF01986275. and ,
- 1980. Prediction of Total Nitrogen in Lakes and Reservoirs. In : Restoration of Lakes and Inland Waters. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; International Symposium on Inland Waters and Lake Restoration, September 8-12, 1980, Portland, Maine. EPA 440/5-81-010, pp. 320-324. ,
- 1982. An Examination of Land Use – Nutrient Export Relationships. Water Resources Bulletin 18(6):1013-1024. and ,
- 2005. Nitrogen Retention, Removal, and Saturation in Lotic Ecosystems. Eecosystems 8:442-453, doi: 10.1007/s10021-003-0143-y. and ,
- A Web-Based Decision Support System for Assessing Regional Water-Quality Conditions and Management Actions. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00573.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] , , , , and , this issue.
- Digital Hydrologic Networks Supporting Applications Related to Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00578.x. , , and , this issue.
- 2008. A Review and Reassessment of Lake Phosphorus Retention and the Nutrient Loading Concept. Freshwater Biology 53(1):194-211, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2427.2007.01862.x. and ,
- 1977. Nitrogen and Phosphorus Movement From Agricultural Watersheds. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 32(5):226-230. , , , and ,
- 1976. Nitrogen in Subsurface Discharge From Agricultural Watersheds. Journal of Environmental Quality 5(3):325-329. , , , and ,
- 1981. Prediction of Total Phosphorus Concentrations, Chlorophyll a, and Secchi Depths in Natural and Artificial Lakes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 38:414-423. and ,
- 1999. Human Impact on Nitrate Export: An Analysis Using Major World Rivers. Ambio 28(2):167-170. and ,
- 1997. Surface Water-Quality Modeling. McGraw-Hill, New York, 844 pp., ISBN-13: 9780071152426. ,
- 2006. Denitrification and the Nitrogen Budget of a Reservoir in an Agricultural Landscape. Ecological Applications 16(6):2177-2190. http://www.jstor.org/stable/40061950, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 1968. Sedimentation in the Nation’s Reservoirs. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 23:135-137. ,
- 2004. Phosphorus Leaching in Relation to Soil Type and Soil Phosphorus Content. Journal of Environmental Quality 33:678-684. , , and ,
- 1992. Characterizing the Distribution of Observed Precipitation and Runoff Over the Continental United States. Climatic Change 22(2):99-119, doi: 10.1007/BF00142961. and ,
- 2008. Comparative Study of Transport Processes of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Herbicides to Streams in Five Agricultural Basins, USA. Journal of Environmental Quality 37(3):1158-1169, doi: 10.2134/jeq2007.0408. , , , , , , and ,
- 2007. How Climate Controls the Load of Nitrogen by the Mississippi River and the Development of Hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico. Limnology and Oceanography 52(2):856-861. and ,
- 2000. Relationship Between Catchment Characteristics and Nutrient Concentrations in an Agricultural River System. Water Research 34(15):3709-3716, doi: 10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00126-3. , , , , , , and ,
- 2008. Transformation and Transport Processes of Nitrogen in Agricultural Systems, Chapter 2. In: Nitrogen in the Environment; Sources, Problems, and Management (Second Edition), J.L. Hatfield and R.F. Follett (Editors). Academic Press (Elsevier), Maryland Heights, Missouri, pp. 19-50. Book Chapter. ISBN-13: 978-0-12-374347-3. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780123743473, accessed June 2011. ,
- 2005. Missouri River Basin, Chapter 10, In: Rivers of North America, A.C. Benke and C.E. Cushing (Editors). Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, Massachusetts, pp. 427-480, ISBN-13: 978-0-12-088253-3. , , , and ,
- 2000. Restoring Ecological Integrity of Great Rivers: Historical Hydrographs Aid in Defining Reference Conditions for the Missouri River. Hydrobiologia 422/423:29-48. and ,
- 2011. A Regional Modeling Framework of Phosphorus Sources and Transport in Streams of the Southeastern United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA), 00(0): 1-20, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2010.00517.x. , , and ,
- 1976. Efficiency of Nitrogen, Carbon, and Phosphorus Retention by Small Agricultural Reservoirs. Journal of Environmental Quality 5:310-315. , , and ,
- 1984. Nitrous Oxide Production in Aerobic Soils Under Varying pH, Temperature, and Water Content. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 16(1):39-43. and ,
- 1988. Denitrification Hysteresis During Wetting and Drying Cycles in Soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 52:1626-1629. and ,
- 1966. Chemical Composition of Phosphorites of the Phosphoria Formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 30(8):769-778, doi: 10.1016/0016-7037(66)90131-1. ,
- 2005. The Importance of Lake Morphometry for the Structure and Function of Lakes. International Review of Hydrobiology 90(4):433-461, doi: 10.1002/iroh.200410775. ,
- 2002. The Fate and Transport of Phosphorus in Agricultural Systems. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 57(6):408-417. , , , and ,
- 2009. The Regional and Global Significance of Nitrogen Removal in Lakes and Reservoirs. Biogeochemistry 93:143-157, doi: 10.1007/s10533-008-9272-x. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2000. Characterising Phosphorus Loss in Surface and Subsurface Hydrological Pathways. The Science of the Total Environment 251/252:523-538. and ,
- Hein, J.R. (Editor), 2004. Life Cycle of the Phosphoria Formation: From Deposition to the Post-Mining Environment. In : Handbook of Exploration and Environmental Geochemistry Volume 8, M. Hale (Series Editor), Elsevier B.V., Amsterdam, 635 pp., ISBN: 0-444-51132-6.
- 2006. Modelling Phosphorus Retention in Lakes and Reservoirs. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution: Focus 6:487-494, doi: 10.1007/s11267-006-9032-7. , , , and ,
- 2003. Denitrification in Effluent-Irrigated Clay Soil Under Eucalyptus Globulus Plantation in South-Eastern Australia. Forest Ecology and Management 179(1-3):547-558, doi: 10.1016/S0378-1127(02)00556-X. , , and ,
- 1996. Regional Nitrogen Budgets and Riverine N & P Fluxes for the Drainages to the North Atlantic Ocean: Natural and Human Influences. Biogeochemistry 35(1):75-139, doi: 10.1007/BF02179825. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1994. Wetlands and Lakes as Nitrogen Traps. Ambio 23(6):320-325. http://www.jstor.org/stable/4314231, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 2005. Role of River Bed Sediments as Sources and Sinks of Phosphorus Across Two Major Eutrophic UK River Basins: The Hampshire Avon and Herefordshire Wye. Journal of Hydrology 304:51-74. , , , , , , and ,
- 2005. Lake Responses to Reduced Nutrient Loading – An Analysis of Contemporary Long-Term Data From 35 Case Studies. Freshwater Biology 50:1747-1771, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2427.2005.01415.x. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1997. Landscape Influences on Water Chemistry in Midwestern Stream Ecosystems. Freshwater Biology 37:193-208. , , , and ,
- 2004. Importance of Landscape Variables and Morphology on Nutrients in Missouri Reservoirs. Canadian Journal of Fishery and Aquatic Sciences 61:1503-1512, doi: 10.1139/F04-088. , , , and ,
- 1999. Biogeochemical Mass-Balances (C, N, P, Si) in Three Large Reservoirs of the Seine Basin (France). Biogeochemistry 47:119-146. , , , and ,
- 1995. Relation Between Stream-Water Quality and Geohydrology During Base-Flow Conditions, Roberts Creek Watershed, Clayton County, Iowa. Water Resources Bulletin 31(4):593-604, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.1995.tb03387.x. ,
- 1993. Impacts of Agricultural Nutrient Loading on Finnish Watercourses. Water Science and Technology 28:461-471. , , and ,
- 2001. Influence of Reservoirs on Solute Transport: A Regional-Scale Approach. Hydrological Processes 15:1227-1249, doi: 10.1002/hyp.211. ,
- 2001. Considerations for Establishing Nutrient Criteria for Reservoirs. Journal of Lake and Reservoir Management 17(3):175-187, doi: 10.1080/07438140109354129. ,
- 1990. Reservoir Nutrient Dynamics (Chapter 5). In : Reservoir limnology: Ecological perspectives, K.W. Thornton, F.E. Payne, and B.L. Kimmel (Editors). John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Somerset, New Jersey, pp. 109-132, ISBN: 0-471-88501-0. and ,
- 1984. Factors Controlling Primary Production in Lakes and Reservoirs: A Perspective. Journal of Lake and Reservoir Management 1(1):277-281, doi: 10.1080/07438148409354524. and ,
- 1986. Limnological and Ecological Changes Associated With Reservoir Aging, Technical Report. In: Reservoir Fisheries Management: Strategies for the 80’s, G.E. Hall (Editor). Proceedings of an American Fisheries Society Symposium on Reservoir Fisheries Management Held in Lexington, Kentucky, June 13-16, 1983, ISBN: 0913235318. and ,
- 1996. Denitrification in Grassland Soils in the Netherlands in Relation to Irrigation, N-Application Rate, Soil Water Content and Soil Temperature. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28(2):231-237, doi: 10.1016/0038-0717(95)00131-X. and ,
- 2011. Phosphorus Retention as a Function of External Loading, Hydraulic Turnover Time, Area and Relative Depth in 54 Lakes and Reservoirs. Hydrobiologia 660:105-115, doi: 10.1007/s10750-101-0411-8. , , and ,
- 2003. The Influence of Reservoir Morphometry on Nitrogen Retention. In : Second International Conference on River Basin Management: River Basin Management II, C.A. Brebbia (Editor). Computational Mechanics, Inc., Billerica, Massachusetts, pp. 261-269, ISBN: 1461-6513. and ,
- 1976. Nitrogen Transformations in an Incubated Soil as Affected by Combinations of Moisture Content and Temperature and Adsorption-Fixation of Ammonium. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 56(2):63-70. and ,
- 2003. Phosphorus Dynamics and Export in Streams Draining Micro-Catchments: Development of Empirical Models. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 166:469-474, doi: 10.1002/jpln.200321164. , , , and ,
- 2003. Hydromorphological and Biological Factors Influencing Sediment and Phosphorus Loss Via Bank Erosion in Small Lowland Rural Streams in Denmark. Hydrological Processes 17:3443-3463, doi: 10.1002/hyp.1302. , , , and ,
- 2005. Seasonal Pattern of Denitrification Under an Irrigated Wheat-Maize Cropping System Fertilized With Urea and Farmyard Manure in Different Combinations. Biology and Fertility of Soils 42:1-9, doi: 10.1007/s00374-005-0869-0. , , , , and ,
- 1998. Denitrification and Total N Losses From an Irrigated Sandy-Clay Loam Under Maize-Wheat Cropping System. Plant and Soil 199(2):239-250, doi: 10.1023/A:1004335132617. , , , and ,
- Nutrient Loadings to Streams of the Continental United States from Municipal and Industrial Effluent. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00576.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] and , this issue.
- 2001. Phosphorus Export From an Agricultural Watershed: Linking Source and Transport Mechanisms. Journal of Environmental Quality 30(5):1587-1595. , , and ,
- 1974. Reservoir Sedimentation. Water Resources Bulletin 10(2):329-337. ,
- 2005. Description of Ecological Subregions: Sections of the Conterminous United States [CD-ROM]. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington, D.C., 80 pp. , , , , , and , comps.,
- 2008. Effects of Land Use on Phosphorus Loss in the Hilly Area of the Loess Plateau, China. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 139:195-204, doi: 10.1007/s10661-007-9826-8. , , , and ,
- 1979. The Role of Sediments and Bryophytes in Phosphorus Dynamics in a Headwater Stream Ecosystem. Limnology and Oceanography 24(2):365-375. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2835501, accessed June 2011. ,
- 1995. Effects of Domestic Wastewater Spray Irrigation on Denitrification Rates. Journal of Environmental Quality 24(5):940-946. , , and ,
- 2004. Estimation of Nitrogen and Phosphorus in New England Streams Using Spatially Referenced Regression Models. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2004-5012, 42 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2004/5012/, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 1989. Effects of Irrigated Agriculture on Groundwater Quality in Corn Belt and Lake States. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 115(5):773-790, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1989)115:5(773). and ,
- 2008. Stream Denitrification Across Biomes and Its Response to Anthropogenic Nitrate Loading. Nature 452:202-206, doi: 10.1038/nature06686. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2004, Transformations of Nitrogen. In : Principles and Applications of Soil Microbiology (Second Edition), Sylvia D.M., J.J. Fuhrmann, P.G. Hartel, and D.A. Zuberer (Editors). Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, pp. 259-291, ISBN-10: 0130941174. ,
- National Research Council, 2002. The Missouri River Ecosystem: Exploring the Prospects for Recovery. Committee on Missouri River Ecosystem Science, Water Science and Technology Board, Division of Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 188 pp. ISBN: 978-0-309-08314-0.
- 1998. The Budgets of Nitrogen and Phosphorus in Shallow Eutrophic Lake Võrtsjärv (Estonia). Hydrobiologica 363:219-227. , , , and ,
- 2002. ERF1_2 – Enhanced River Reach File 2.0. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 02-40. http://water.usgs.gov/GIS/metadata/usgswrd/XML/erf1_2.xml, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 2002. The Phosphorus Content of Fluvial Sediment in Rural and Industrialized River Basins. Water Research 36(3):685-701, doi: 10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00247-0. and ,
- 2001. Downstream Changes in the Transport and Storage of Sediment-Associated Contaminants (P, Cr, and PCBs) in Agricultural and Industrialized Drainage Basins. The Science of the Total Environment 266(1-3):177-186, doi: 10.1016/S0048-9697(00)00729-4. , , , , , and ,
- 2006. Streambed Sediment Geochemical Controls on In-Stream Phosphorus Concentrations During Baseflow. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 6(5-6):79-87, doi: 10.1007/s11267-006-9058-x. , , , and ,
- 2001. Control of Nitrogen Export From Watersheds by Headwater Streams. Science 292(5514):86-90, doi: 10.1126/science.1056874. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1996. Effect of Nitrate, Organic Carbon, and Temperature on Potential Denitrification Rates in Nitrate-Rich Riverbed Sediments. Journal of Hydrology 187(3-4):283-295, doi: 10.1016/S0022-1694(96)03052-1. and ,
- 1989. Nitrate Contamination of Groundwater in North America. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment (AEENDO) 26(3-4):165-187, doi: 10.1016/0167-8809(89)90012-1. and ,
- Factors Affecting Stream Nutrient Loads: A Synthesis of Regional SPARROW Model Results for the Continental United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00577.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] , , , and , this issue.
- 2009. SPARROW MODELING – Enhancing Understanding of the Nation’s Water Quality. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2009-3019, 6 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3019/, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 1999. Application of Spatially Referenced Regression Modeling for the Evaluation of Total Nitrogen Loading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 99-4054, 12 pp. http://md.water.usgs.gov/publications/wrir-99-4054/, accessed June 2011. and ,
- 2002. Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia, a.k.a. “The Dead Zone”. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33:235-263. , , and ,
- 1996. Digital Maps of Compositionally Classified Lithologies Derived From 1:500,000-Scale Geologic Maps for the Pacific Northwest: A Contribution to the Interior Columbia Basin Ecosystem Management Project, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 95-685, 29 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1995/of95-685/, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- Sources and Delivery of Nutrients to the Northwestern Gulf of Mexico from Streams in the South-Central United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00583.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] , , , , , and , this issue.
- 1980. A Procedure Using Modeling and Error Analysis for the Prediction of Lake Phosphorus Concentration From Land Use Information. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 37:1439-1448. and ,
- Nutrient Inputs to the Laurentian Great Lakes by Source and Watershed Estimated Using SPARROW Watershed Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00574.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] and , this issue.
- 2009. Incorporating Uncertainty Into the Ranking of SPARROW Model Nutrient Yields From Mississippi/Atchafalaya River Basin Watersheds. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45(2):534-549, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2009.00310.x. , , , and ,
- 1982. Field Measurement of Denitrification: III. Rates During Irrigation Cycles. Soil Science Society of America Journal 46:289-296. , , , and ,
- 2005. Missouri River Mainstem System is North America’s Largest Reservoir System. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Water Center, Water Current 37(4):16. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/water_currentnews/7, accessed June 2011. ,
- A Multi-Agency Nutrient Dataset Used to Estimate Loads, Improve Monitoring Design, and Calibrate Regional Nutrient SPARROW Models. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00575.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] , , , and , this issue.
- 1954. Influence of Temperature on Nitrification in Soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 20(3):357-360. , , , and ,
- 2001. Nitrogen Retention in Wetlands, Lakes and Rivers. Hydrobiologia 443:205-212. and ,
- 1971. Hydrology and Erosion of Loessial Watersheds. Journal of the Hydraulics Division, Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers 97(11):1835-1851. , , and ,
- 2007. Reassessing Hypoxia Forecasts for the Gulf of Mexico. Environmental Science and Technology 41(23):8111-8117, doi: 10.1021/es0714235. and ,
- 2004. Reducing Hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico: Advice From Three Models. Estuaries 27(3):419-425, doi: 10.1007/BF02803534. , , and ,
- 2008. A Preliminary SPARROW Model of Suspended Sediment for the Conterminous United States. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1205, 7 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1205/, accessed June 2011. ,
- The Regionalization of National-Scale SPARROW Models for Stream Nutrients. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00581.x. , , , and , this issue.
- 2006. The SPARROW Surface Water-Quality Model: Theory, Application and User Documentation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-B3, 248 pp. and CD-ROM. http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/2006/tm6b3/, accessed June 2011. , , , and ,
- 2002. Nitrogen Retention in Rivers: Model Development and Application to Watersheds in the Northeastern U.S.A. Biogeochemistry 57/58:199-237. , , , , , , , and ,
- 1985. Temporal Response of Soil Denitrification Rates to Rainfall and Irrigation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 49:99-103. , , and ,
- 2001. Assessing Site Vulnerability to Phosphorus Loss in an Agricultural Watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality 30:2026-2036. , , , and ,
- 1990. Losses of Nitrogen by Denitrification and Emissions of Nitrogen Oxides From Soils. The International Fertilizer Society – Proceedings No. 299, York, United Kingdom. http://www.fertiliser-society.org/Proceedings/UK/Prc299.HTM, accessed June 2011. and ,
- 1997. Regional Interpretation of Water-Quality Monitoring Data. Water Resources Research 33(12):2781-2798, doi: 10.1029/97WR02171. , , and ,
- 2009. Development and Application of Regression Models for estimating Nutrient Concentrations in Streams of the Conterminous United States, 1992-2001. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5199, 22 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5199/. , , , , and ,
- 1998. Agricultural Chemical Movement Through a Field-Size Watershed in Iowa: Surface Hydrology and Nitrate Losses in Discharge. Environmental Science and Technology 32(8):1048-1052, doi: 10.1021/es970728o. , , and ,
- 2001. Nitrate and Chloride Loading to Groundwater From an Irrigated North-Central U.S. Sand-Plain Vegetable Field. Journal of Environmental Quality 30(4):1176-1184. and ,
- 2007. Preliminary Integrated Geologic Map Databases for the United States: Central States: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana (Version 1.2). U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1351. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1351/, accessed June 2011. , , , , , , and ,
- 1995. The Effects of Reservoirs on Phosphorus Concentration. Internationale Revue gesamten Hydrobiologie 80(1):403-413. , , , and ,
- Stream Solute Workshop, 1990. Concepts and Methods for Assessing Solute Dynamics in Stream Ecosystems. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 9(2):95-119. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1467445, accessed June 2011.
- 1970. Aquatic Chemistry: An Introduction Emphasizing Chemical Equilibria in Natural Waters. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp. 583, ISBN: 0471834963. and ,
- 2008. Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia: Alternate States and a Legacy. Environmental Science and Technology 42(7):2322-2327, doi: 10.1021/es071617k. , , and ,
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2000. Summary Report – 1997 National Resources Inventory (Revised December 2000), Natural Resources Conservation Service. Washington, D.C., and Statistical Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 89 pp. http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/NRI/1997/summary_report/, accessed June 2011.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), 2009. National Water Quality Inventory: Report to Congress 2004 Reporting Cycle: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Office of Water, Washington, D.C., EPA 841-R-08-001, 43 pp. http://www.epa.gov/owow/305b/2004report/2004_305Breport.pdf, accessed June 2011.
- 2007. Irrigation Practices May Affect Denitrification More Than Nitrogen Mineralization in Warm Climatic Conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 43(6):641-651, doi: 10.1007/s00374-006-0143-0. , , and ,
- 2001. Dissolved and Particulate Nutrient Flux From Three Adjacent Agricultural Watersheds: A Five-Year Study. Biogeochemistry 54(1):85-114, doi: 10.1023/A:1010681229460. , , , , and ,
- 2007. Nutrients in Lakes and Reservoirs – A Literature Review for Use in Nutrient Criteria Development. Virginia Water Resources Research Center VWRRC Special Report SR34-2007. Viginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, 100 pp. http://www.vwrrc.vt.edu/pdfs/specialreports/sr342007.pdf, accessed June 2011. , , and ,
- 2003. Storage of Sediment-Associated Nutrients and Contaminants in River Channel and Floodplain Systems. Applied Geochemistry 18(2):195-220, doi: 10.1016/S0883-2927(02)00121-X. , , , , , , and ,
- 2001. Phosphorus Losses in Furrow Irrigation Runoff. Journal of Environmental Quality 30(3):1009-1015. , , , and ,
- 2011. Attributes for MRB_E2RF1 Catchments by Major River Basins in the Conterminous United States. U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DS-491. http://water.usgs.gov/nawqa/modeling/rf1attributes.html, accessed June 2011. , and ,
- Surface-Water Nutrient Conditions and Sources in the United States Pacific Northwest. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00580.x. [Correction made here after initial online publication.] , and , this issue.