Introgression and dispersal among spotted owl (Strix occidentalis) subspecies
Article first published online: 9 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 161–171, February 2008
How to Cite
Funk, W. C., Forsman, E. D., Mullins, T. D. and Haig, S. M. (2008), Introgression and dispersal among spotted owl (Strix occidentalis) subspecies. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 161–171. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00002.x
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 9 JAN 2008
- Accepted: 13 November 2007
- 2007. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , and .
- 1949. The seventy-five percent rule for subspecies. The Condor 51:250–258. .
- 2006. Status and trends in demography of northern spotted owls, 1985–2003. Wildlife Monographs 163:1–47. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Molecular genetic identification of whale and dolphin products from commercial markets in Korea and Japan. Molecular Ecology 5:671–687. , , and .
- 1992. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeographic differentiation among avian populations and the evolutionary significance of subspecies. The Auk 109:626–636. , and .
- 2004. The incomplete natural history of mitochondria. Molecular Ecology 13:729–744. , and .
- 1999. Phylogeography of spotted owl (Strix occidentalis) populations based on mitochondrial DNA sequences: gene flow, genetic structure, and a novel biogeographic pattern. Evolution 53:919–931. , , and .
- 2005. Genetic structure, introgression, and a narrow hybrid zone between northern and California spotted owls (Strix occidentalis). Molecular Ecology 14:1109–1120. , , , and .
- 2003. Evaluation of the eastern (Centrocercus u. urophasianus) and western (Centrocercus urophasianus phaios) subspecies of sage-grouse using mitochondrial control-region sequence data. Conservation Genetics 4:301–310. , , , , and .
- 2004. Can assignment tests measure dispersal? Molecular Ecology 13:551–561. , , and .
- 2004. Geographic variation in Mexican Jays (Aphelocoma ultramarina): local differentiation, polyphyly, or hybridization? Molecular Ecology 13:2721–2734. , , and .
- 2002. Subspecific differentiation and conservation of song sparrows (Melospiza melodia) in the San Francisco Bay region inferred by microsatellite loci analysis. The Auk 119:641–657. , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations of origin of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 1868. The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication. Murray, London. .
- 2003. Microsatellite analyser (MSA): a platform independent analysis tool for large microsatellite data sets. Molecular Ecology Notes 3:167–169. , and .
- 2004. Population structure of loggerhead shrikes in the California Channel Islands. Molecular Ecology 13:2121–2133. , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software Structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2004. Assessment of the subspecies and genetics. In S. P. Courtney, J. A. Blakesley, R. E. Bigley, M. L. Cody, J. P. Dumbacher, R. C. Fleischer, A. B. Franklin et al., eds. Scientific Evaluation of the Status of the Northern Spotted Owl. pp. 3-1–3-31. Sustainable Ecosystem Institute, Portland, OR. , , , and .
- 2002a. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2002b. Resolving taxonomic uncertainties and defining management units. In R. Frankham, J. D. Ballou, and D. A. Briscoe, eds. Introduction to Conservation Genetics, pp. 365–392. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 1998. Geographic analysis of nucleotide diversity and song sparrow (Aves: Emberizidae) population history. Molecular Ecology 7:1303–1313. , and .
- 2007a. Microsatellite loci for distinguishing spotted owls (Strix occidentalis), barred owls (S. varia), and their hybrids. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:284–286. , , , and .
- 2007b. Conservation genetics of snowy plovers (Charadrius alexandrinus) in the Western Hemisphere: population genetic structure and delineation of subspecies. Conservation Genetics 8:1287–1309. , , and .
- 1998. Evolutionary Biology, 3rd edn. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 1997. Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research. The Ornithological Council, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2006. Genetic signature of anthropogenic population collapse in orang-utans. PLoS Biology 4:285–291. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding and interbreeding in Darwin’s finches. Evolution 57:2911–2916. , , , , and .
- 1995. Spotted owl (Strix occidentalis). In A. Poole, ed. The Birds of North America Online . Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York. http://0-bna.birds.cornell.edu.oasis.oregonstate.edu:80/bna/species/179 (accessed on 10 December 2007). , , and .
- 2001. Geographic variation and genetic structure in spotted owls. Conservation Genetics 2:25–40. , , , and .
- 2004a. Subspecific relationships and genetic structure in the spotted owl. Conservation Genetics 5:683–705. , , and .
- 2004b. Genetic identification of spotted owls, barred owls, and their hybrids: legal implications of hybrid identity. Conservation Biology 18:1347–1357. , , , , and .
- 2006. Taxonomic considerations in listing subspecies under the US Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology 20:1584–1594. , , , , , , et al.
- 1959. Recent bird records from western Montana. The Condor 61:147–151. , , and .
- 2001. Status and distribution of the barred owl in Montana. Northwestern Naturalist 82:102–110. , , and .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite DNA markers from the Lanyu scops owl (Otus elegans botelensis). Molecular Ecology Notes 3:595–597. , , , and .
- 2006. Microsatellite loci from Lanyu scops owl (Otus elegans botelensis) and their cross-species application in four species of Strigidae. Conservation Genetics 7:161–165. , , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial control region diversity of the Houbara bustard Chlamydotis undulata complex and genetic structure along the Atlantic seaboard of North Africa. Molecular Ecology 13:43–54. , , , and .
- 2002. Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite markers in a captive population of the eagle owl (Bubo bubo) used for supportive breeding. Molecular Ecology Notes 2:91–93. , and .
- 2006. Genetic effects of chronic habitat fragmentation in a wind-pollinated tree. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 103:8096–8100. , and .
- 2004. Recent records of hybridization between barred owls (Strix varia) and northern spotted owls (S. occidentalis caurina). The Auk 121:806–810. , and .
- 2003. Are barred owls displacing spotted owls? The Condor 105:45–53. , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the Origin of Species. Columbia University Press, New York. .
- 1991. Principles of Systematic Zoology, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY. , and .
- 2000. Barred owl (Strix varia). In A. Poole,eds. The Birds of North America Online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York. http://0-bna.birds.cornell.edu.oasis.oregonstate.edu:80/bna/species/508 (accessed on 10 December 2007). , and .
- 2005. Alleles in Space (AIS): computer software for the joint analysis of interindividual spatial and genetic information. Journal of Heredity 96:722–724.
- 2000. Estimating animal abundance using noninvasive DNA sampling: promise and pitfalls. Ecological Applications 10:283–294. , , , , and .
- 1994. Defining ‘evolutionarily significant units’ for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:373–375. .
- 1997. Increased probability of extinction due to decreased genetic effective population size: experimental populations of Clarkia pulchella. Evolution 51:354–362. , and .
- 2006. Conservation of the northern spotted owl under the Northwest Forest Plan. Conservation Biology 20:288–296. , and .
- 2005. Modeling of site occupancy dynamics for northern spotted owls, with emphasis on the effects of barred owls. The Journal of Wildlife Management 69:918–932. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Molecular Ecology 13:55–65. , , , and .
- 2007. Identification of management units using population genetic data. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:11–16. , , and .
- 2004. Hybrid response to pathogen infection in interspecific crosses between two amphibian species (Anura: Ranidae). Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:457–471.
- 2002. Diagnosability versus mean differences of sage sparrow subspecies. The Auk 119:26–35. , and .
- 2006. Are subspecies useful in evolutionary and conservation biology. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:1049–1053. , and .
- 2004. Geneclass2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation across the current range of the Asian Houbara bustard (Chlamydotis undulata macqueenii). Conservation Genetics 5:205–215. , , , and .
- 2003. Documentation for Structure Software: Version 2. http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html (accessed on 10 December 2007). , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2005. Development and characterization of microsatellite DNA primers for ferruginous pygmy-owls (Glaucidium brasilianum). Molecular Ecology Notes 5:90–92. , , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 83:248–249. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2003. Whales before whaling in the North Atlantic. Science 301:508–510. , and .
- 1986. Species conservation and systematics: the dilemma of subspecies. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 1:9–10.
- 1998. Inbreeding depression and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392:491–494. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Gene flow among San Joaquin kit fox populations in a severely changed ecosystem. Conservation Genetics 6:25–37. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Conservation priorities for resplendent quetzals based on analysis of mitochondrial DNA control region sequences. The Condor 106:449–456. , , and .
- 2001. Detection of hybrids between bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) using PCR primers complementary to interspersed nuclear elements. Copeia 2001:1093–1099. , , , and .
- 2005. Learning to adapt. Science 309:688–690. .
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:489–496. , , and .
- 2002. Microsatellite markers for the Mexican spotted owl (Strix occidentalis lucida). Molecular Ecology Notes 2:446–448. , , , , and .
- 1998. Metapopulation collapse: the consequences of limited gene-flow in spatially structured populations. In J. Bascompte, and R. V. Sole, eds. Modeling Spatiotemporal Dynamics in Ecology, pp. 83–104. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , , , and .
- US Fish and Wildlife Service. 1978. Determination that 11 plant taxa are endangered species and two plant taxa are threatened species. Federal Register 43:17910–17916.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service. 1990. Determination of threatened status for the northern spotted owl. Federal Register 55:26114–26194.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service. 1993. Final rule to list the Mexican spotted owl as a threatened species. Federal Register 58:14248–14271.
- 2002. Conservation genetic of the loggerhead shrike (Lanius ludovicianus) in central and eastern North America. Conservation Genetics 3:1–13. , , and .
- 1991. Pacific salmon, Oncorhynchus spp., and the definition of ‘species’ under the Endangered Species Act. Marine Fisheries Review 53:11–22.
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity Molecular Ecology 15:1419–1439. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1927. Some new birds from western Montana. The Condor 39:159. .
- 1976. Further bird records from western Montana. The Condor 78:418–420.
- 1989. The study of geographic variation. The Auk 106:157–160.
- 2004. The role of subspecies in obscuring avian biological diversity and misleading conservation policy. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 271:561–564.
- 2000. Genetics, taxonomy, and conservation of the threatened California gnatcatcher. Conservation Biology 14:1394–1405. , , , and .