Pathogen evolution across the agro-ecological interface: implications for disease management
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 57–65, February 2008
How to Cite
Burdon, J. J. and Thrall, P. H. (2008), Pathogen evolution across the agro-ecological interface: implications for disease management. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 57–65. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00005.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
- Received: 18 September 2007 Accepted: 26 November 2007
- 2004. Emerging infectious diseases of plants: pathogen pollution, climate change and agrotechnology drivers. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:535–544. , , , , and .
- 2000. The rise of the hybrid fungi. Nature 405:134–135.
- 1999. Origin of a new Phytophthora pathogen through interspecific hybridization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:5878–5883. , , and .
- 1991. Influence of plant spatial patterns on disease dynamics, plant competition and grain-yield in genetically diverse wheat populations. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 35:1–12. , and .
- 1985a. Isozyme and virulence variation in asexually reproducing populations of wheat leaf and stem rust. Phytopathology 75:907–913. , and .
- 1985b. The effect of sexual and asexual reproduction on the isozyme structure of wheat stem rust populations. Phytopathology 75:1068–1073. , and .
- 1981a. The impact of biological control on the distribution and abundance of Chondrilla juncea in south-eastern Australia. Journal of Applied Ecology 18:957–966. , , and .
- 1981b. Isozyme analysis indicates a virulent cereal rust is a somatic hybrid. Nature 293:565–566. , , and .
- 1982. Isozyme studies on the origin and evolution of Puccinia graminis f.sp. tritici in Australia. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 35:231–238. , , , and .
- 1983. Interactions between Avena and Puccinia species. I. The wild hosts: Avena barbata Pott ex Link, A. fatua L. and A. ludoviciana Durieu. Journal of Applied Ecology 20:571–585. , , and .
- 1992. Interactions between wild and cultivated oats in Australia. In A. R. Barr, and R. W. Medd, eds. Proceedings of 4th International Oat Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 82–87. Intern. Oat Conf. Comm., Adelaide. , , and .
- 2002. The spatial distribution of plant populations, disease dynamics and evolution of resistance. Oikos 97:97–110. , and .
- 1984. Selection on Erysiphe graminis in pure and mixed stands of barley. Plant Pathology 33:535–546. , and .
- 1970. Sources of oat crown rust resistance in hexaploid and tetraploid wild oats in Israel. Canadian Journal of Botany 48:153–161.
- 1998. Host-pathogen diversity in a wild system: Chondrilla juncea — Puccinia chondrillina. Oecologia 113:133–139. , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Evolution of Infectious Disease. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2007. Sympatric ascochyta complex on wild Cicer judaicum and domesticated chickpea. Plant Pathology 56:464–471. , , , and .
- 2006. Emergence of a new disease as a result of interspecific virulence gene transfer. Nature Genetics 38:953–956. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Evolution of multihost parasites. Evolution 58:455–469.
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 263:1003–1009. , , , , and .
- 2000. The genetics of hyphal fusion and vegetative incompatibility in filamentous ascomycete fungi. Annual Review of Genetics 34:165–186. , , and .
- 2005. Interspecific hybridization: potential for movement of herbicide resistance from wheat to jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrical). Weed Technology 19:674–682. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Weed hosts of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense tropical race 4 in northern Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 34:115–117. , , , and .
- 1996. Resistance to barley scald (Rhynchosporium secalis) in wild barley grass (Hordeum glaucum and H. leporinum) populations in south-eastern Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 47:413–425. , and .
- 1994. Isolation of Fusarium species from common broad-leaved weeds and their pathogenicity to winter wheat. Mycological Research 98:776–780. , and .
- 1961. Man-guided evolution in plant rusts. Science 133:357–362.
- 1988. Transmission of double-stranded RNAs in flax rust, Melampsora lini. Canadian Journal of Botany 66:61–66. , , and .
- 1991. Further investigation of the specificity of interactions between wild Lactuca spp. and Bremia lactucae isolates from Lactuca serriola. Journal of Phytopathology 133:57–64. , and .
- 2003. Characterization of new highly virulent German isolates of Bremia lactucae and efficiency of resistance in wild Lactuca spp. germplasm. Journal of Phytopathology 151:274–282. , and .
- 1969. Somatic recombination in yellow rust of wheat (Puccinia striiformis). 2. Germ tube fusions, nuclear number and nuclear size. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 53:259–267. , and .
- 1977. The role of barley, rye and grasses in the 1973-74 wheat stem rust epiphytotic in southern and eastern Australia. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales 101:65–76. , and .
- 1992. Molecular analysis of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides pathogenic on the tropical pasture legume Stylosanthes spp. In J. A. Bailey, and M. J. Jeger, eds. Colletotrichum: Biology, Pathology and Control, pp. 250–268. CABI, Wallingford, UK. , , , and .
- 1996. Effect of genotype unit number and spatial arrangement on severity of yellow rust in wheat cultivar mixtures. Plant Pathology 45:215–222. , , and .
- 2000. Melampsora×Columbiana, a natural hybrid of M. medusae and M. occidentalis. Mycological Research 104:261–274. , , , and .
- 1983. Interactions between Avena and Puccinia species. II. The pathogens: Puccinia coronata Cda and P. graminis Pers. f.sp. avenae Eriks. and Henn. Journal of Applied Ecology 20:585–596. , , and .
- 1980. A comparison of virulence phenotypes in wheat stem rust populations reproducing sexually and asexually. Phytopathology 70:855–862. , and .
- 1994. Comparative studies of the poplar rusts Melampsora medusae, M. larisi-populina and their interspecific hybrid M. medusae-populina. Mycological Research 98:889–903. , and .
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1999. The spatial scale of pathogen dispersal: consequences for disease dynamics and persistence. Evolutionary Ecology Research 1:681–701. , and .
- 2002. Evolution of gene-for-gene systems in metapopulations: the effect of spatial scale of host and pathogen dispersal. Plant Pathology 51:169–184. , and .
- 2003. Evolution of virulence in a plant host-pathogen metapopulation. Science 299:1735–1737. , and .
- 2004. Host-pathogen life-history interactions affect the success of biological control. Weed Technology 18:S1269–S1274. , and .
- 2007. Coevolution of symbiotic mutualists and parasites in a community context. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:120–126. , , , and .
- 1992. Puccinia hordei on barley and Ornithogalum umbellatum in South Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 21:95–97. , , and .
- 2004. Fusarium species and Fusarium wilt pathogens associated with native Gossypium populations in Australia. Mycological Research 108:35–44. , , and .
- 2006. The ecological effects of exotic disease resistance genes introgressed into British gooseberries. Oecologia 147:69–75. , and .
- 2007. Puccinia striiformis in Australia: a review of the incursion, evolution, and adaptation of stripe rust in the period 1979-2006. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 58:567–575.
- 2005. Interactions between weeds and cultivated plants as related to management of plant pathogens. Weed Science 53:914–917. , and .
- 2005. Emerging pathogens: the epidemiology and evolution of species jumps. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:238–244. , , and .