Temporally stable genetic structure and low migration in an Atlantic salmon population complex: implications for conservation and management
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 137–154, February 2008
How to Cite
Vähä, J.-P., Erkinaro, J., Niemelä, E. and Primmer, C. R. (2008), Temporally stable genetic structure and low migration in an Atlantic salmon population complex: implications for conservation and management. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 137–154. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00007.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
- Accepted: 1 December 2007
- 1995. Population differentiation in Pacific salmon: local adaptation, genetic drift or the environment? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 52:2762–2777.
- 2007. Effective population size of steelhead trout: influence of variance in reproductive success, hatchery programs, and genetic compensation between life-history forms. Molecular Ecology 16:953–966. , , , , and .
- 2003. Demographic and genetic estimates of effective population size (Ne) reveals genetic compensation in steelhead trout. Molecular Ecology 12:35–49. , and .
- 2007. Recent demographic bottlenecks are not accompanied by a genetic signature in banner–tailed kangaroo rats (Dipodomys spectabilis). Molecular Ecology 16:2450–2462. , , and .
- 2005. BAPS: Bayesian Analysis of Population Structure. Manual, Version, 3.2. Department of Mathematics, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland. , and .
- 2006. Bayesian identification of admixture events using multilocus molecular markers. Molecular Ecology 15:2833–2843. , and .
- 2006a. Bayesian identification of stock mixtures from molecular marker data. Fishery Bulletin 104:550–558. , , and .
- 2006b. Department of Mathematics, Abo Academi University, Turku, Finland. Available at (http://web.abo.fi/fak/mnf/mate/jc/software/baps.html). Last accessed 2 January 2008. , , , and .
- 2000. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution 54:628–639. , and .
- 1994. Genetic resources of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in Teno and Näätämö Rivers, northernmost Europe. Hereditas 120:19–28. , , and .
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1997. Importance of ontogenetic habitat shifts to juvenile output and life history of Atlantic salmon in a large subarctic river: an approach based on analysis of scale characteristics. Journal of Fish Biology 51:1174–1185. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin version 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2007. Evaluating the performance of a multilocus Bayesian method for the estimation of migration rates. Molecular Ecology 16:1149–1166. , , and .
- 1995. Effective population size/adult population size ratios in wildlife: a review. Genetical Research 66:95–107.
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2007a. Comparative estimation of effective population sizes and temporal gene flow in two contrasting population systems. Molecular Ecology 16:3866–3889. , , , , , and .
- 2007b. Loss of historical immigration and the unsuccessful rehabilitation of extirpated salmon populations. Conservation Genetics 8:527–546. , , , and .
- 2000. Ecological determinants and temporal stability of the within-river population structure in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Molecular Ecology, 9:615–628. , , and .
- 2007a. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Review of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007b. Local adaptation. In E. Verspoor, L. Stradmayer, and J.L. Nielsen, eds. The Atlantic Salmon, pp. 195–235. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Mitochondrial DNA variation and stock structure of Walleyes from Eastern Lake Huron: an analysis of contemporary and historical samples. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:99–108. , , , and .
- 2002. Long–term effective population sizes, temporal stability of genetic composition and potential for local adaptation in anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations. Molecular Ecology 11:2523–2535. , , , , and .
- 2002. Loss of microsatellite diversity and low effective population size in an overexploited population of New Zealand snapper (Pagrus auratus). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99:11742–11747. , , , , and .
- 2002. Temporal change in genetic structure and effective population size in steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Molecular Ecology 11:197–214. , , , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake–stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evolution 56:1199–1216. , , and .
- 1972. Effective size of populations with overlapping generations. Theoretical Population Biology 3:278–289.
- 1979. A note on effective population size with overlapping generations. Genetics 92:317–322.
- ICES. 2007. Report of the Working Group on North Atlantic Salmon. ICES CM 2007/ ACFM:13. Available from http://www.ices.dk/reports/ACFM/2007/WGNAS/WGNAS07.pdf.Last accessed 2 January 2008.
- 2005. Spatial and temporal genetic differentiation and effective population size of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in small Danish rivers. Conservation Genetics, 6:615–621. , , , , and .
- 2003. Atlantic salmon straying from the River Imsa. Journal of Fish Biology 62:641–657. , , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic diversity. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:187–189.
- 2004. Return migration of one sea winter Atlantic salmon in the River Tana. Journal of Fish Biology 64:1179–1192. , , , , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. The American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Genetics and demography in biological conservation. Science 241:455–1460.
- 2001. Comparative analysis of population structure across environments and geographical scales at major histocompatibility complex and microsatellite loci in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Molecular Ecology 10:2525–2539. , and .
- 2005. Genetic approaches for estimating the effective size of populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:1385–1399.
- 1998. Distortion of allele frequency distributions provides a test for recent population bottlenecks. Journal of Heredity 89:238–247. , , , and .
- 2000. Viljelykantarekisteri. Riista- ja kalatalouden tutkimuslaitoksen kalanviljelylaitoksissa ja maitipankissa säilytyksessä olevat kalalajit ja kannat. Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute. Helsinki (in Finnish). , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assignment methods: matching biological questions with appropriate techniques. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:136–142. , , and .
- 1997. Historical analysis of genetic variation reveals low effective population size in a northern pike (Esox lucius) population. Genetics 147:1249–1258. , and .
- 1980. Numerical analysis of random drift in a cline. Genetics 94:497–517. , and .
- 1993. Effective population size, genetic diversity, and coalescence time in subdivided population. Journal of Molecular Evolution 37:240–244. , and .
- 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data. Journal of Molecular Evolution 19:153–170. , , and .
- 1997. Analysis of microsatellite DNA from old scale samples of Atlantic salmon: a comparison of genetic composition over sixty years. Molecular Ecology 6:487–492. , , and .
- 1999a. Analysis of DNA from old scale samples: technical aspects, applications and perspectives for conservation. Hereditas 130:265–276. , , and .
- 1999b. Genetic variation in time and space: Microsatellite analysis of extinct and extant populations of Atlantic salmon. Evolution 53:261–268. , , and .
- 2004. Variation in the Yearly and Seasonal Abundance of Juvenile Atlantic Salmon in a Long–Term Monitoring Programme. Methodology, Status of Stocks and Reference Points. Acta Universitatis Ouluensis A415, Oulu.
- 2004. Temporal synchrony and variation in abundance of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in two subarctic Barents Sea rivers: influence of oceanic conditions. Canadian Journal of Fisheries Aquatic Science 61:2384–2391. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Is juvenile salmon abundance related to subsequent and preceding catches? Perspectives from a long-term monitoring programme. ICES Journal of Marine Science 62:1617–1629. , , , and .
- 2006a. Temporal variation in abundance, return rate and life histories of previously spawned Atlantic salmon in a large subarctic river. Journal of Fish Biology 68:1222–1240. , , , , , and .
- 2006b. Previously spawned Atlantic salmon ascend a large subarctic river earlier than their maiden counterparts. Journal of Fish Biology 69:1–13. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. The influence of age structure and fecundity on effective population size. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 246:71–76.
- 2007. Snorkeling as a method for assessing spawning stock of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:199–208. , and .
- 2003. Longterm temporal changes of genetic composition in brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations inhabiting an unstable environment. Molecular Ecology 12:3123–3135. , , , and .
- 1996. TREEVIEW: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 12:357–358.
- 2006. Isolation by distance within a river system: genetic population structuring of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, in tributaries of the Varzuga River in northwest Russia. Molecular Ecology 15:653–666. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1987. The neighbor–joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4:406–425. , and .
- 2007. Genetic monitoring of individuals, populations, and species in the wild. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:25–33. , , and .
- 2003. Census vs. effective population size in Chinook salmon: large– and small–scale environmental perturbation effects. Molecular Ecology 12:2571–2583. , and .
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75:733–756.
- 2000. Experimental evaluation of the usefulness of microsatellite DNA for detecting demographic bottlenecks. Molecular Ecology 9:1517–1528. , , and .
- 2001. Fine-scale population structure in Atlantic salmon from Maine’s Penobscot River drainage. Conservation Genetics 2:11–24.
- 2002. A near–extinction event in lynx: do microsatellite data tell the tale? Conservation Ecology 6:15. Available at http://www.consecol.org/vol6/iss1/art15/ Last accessed 2 January 2008. , and .
- 1996. Genetic distances and reconstruction of phylogenetic trees from microsatellite DNA. Genetics 144:389–399. , and .
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:489–496. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptations in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 1999. Stability of population structure and genetic diversity across generations assessed by microsatellites among sympatric populations of landlocked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Molecular Ecology 8:169–179. , and .
- 2006. Efficiency of model–based Bayesian methods for detecting hybrid individuals under different hybridization scenarios and with different numbers of loci. Molecular Ecology 15:63–72. , and .
- 2007. Life–history and habitat features influence the within–river genetic structure of Atlantic salmon. Molecular Ecology 16:2638–2654. , , , and .
- 1997. Fluctuating population size and the ratio of effective to census population size. Evolution 51:2017–2021. , , and .
- 2001. A pseudo–likelihood method for estimating effective population size from temporally spaced samples. Genetical Research 78:243–257.
- 2005. Estimation of effective population sizes from data on genetic markers. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Biological Sciences 360:1395–1409.
- 2003. Estimating effective population size and migration rates from genetic samples over space and time. Genetics 163:429–446. , and .
- 1990. Conservation genetics of Pacific salmon. II. Effective population size and the rate of loss of genetic variability. Journal of Heredity 81:267–276.
- 2002. Effective size of fluctuating salmon populations. Genetics 161:783–791.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Molecular Ecology 14:3335–3352.
- 2007. Temporal estimates of effective population size in species with overlapping generations. Genetics 175:219–233. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F–statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1997. The effective size of a subdivided population. Genetics 146:427–441. , and .
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163:1177–1191. , and .
- 1938. Size of population and breeding structure in relation to evolution. Science 87:430–431.
- 2007. Dynamic in–lake spawning migrations by female sockeye salmon. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 16:155–164. , and .