Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analysis
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 129–136, February 2008
How to Cite
Hutchings, J. A. and Rowe, S. (2008), Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analysis. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 129–136. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00009.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
- Received: 15 September 2007 Accepted: 5 December 2007
- 2004. Long-term trend in the maturation reaction norm for two cod stocks. Ecological Applications 14:1257–1271. , , , and .
- 2005. The importance in fishery management of leaving the big ones. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:356–358. , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary regime shifts in age and size at maturation of exploited fish stocks. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273:1873–1880. , , and .
- DFO. 2007. Stock Assessment of Northern (2J3KL) Cod in 2007. Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advisory Report 2007/018, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2004. Evolution of chinook salmon life history under size-selective harvest. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and their Relatives, pp. 315–337. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1999. The influence of growth and survival costs of reproduction on Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, population growth rate. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1612–1623.
- 2005. Life history consequences of overexploitation to population recovery in Northwest Atlantic cod. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:824–832.
- 2005. Measuring marine fish biodiversity: temporal changes in abundance, life history and demography. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360:315–338. , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 1994. What can be learned from the collapse of a renewable resource? Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, of Newfoundland and Labrador. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:2126–2146. , and .
- 2004. Marine fish population collapses: consequences for recovery and extinction risk. BioScience 54:297–309. , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Lonely hearts or sex in the city? Density-dependent effects in mating systems. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B Biological Sciences 361:319–334. , and .
- 1991. On the quantitative genetics of correlated characters under directional selection in age-structured populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 331:213–223.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1993. Cohort-structured populations, selection responses, and exploitation of the North Sea cod. In T.K. Stokes, J.M. McGlade, and R. Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 155–174. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 2003. Mating systems and the conservation of commercially exploited marine fish. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:567–572. , and .
- 2007. Nonrandom mating in a broadcast spawner: mate size influences reproductive success in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:219–226. , , and .
- Morphological and behavioural correlates of reproductive success in Atlantic cod Gadus morhua. Marine Ecology Progress Series, doi: DOI: 10.3354/meps0717. , , , and . In press.
- 2002. Measuring changes in the direction and magnitude of size-selective mortality in a commercial fish population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:361–371. , , and .
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- 1993. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771. .
- 1998. Mating systems and conservation problems. In T. J. Caro, ed. Behavioral Ecology and Conservation Biology, pp. 315–337. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .