Present address: Sara Magalhães, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Evolutionary Biology Group, Rua da Quinta Grande, 6, 2780-156 Oeiras, Portugal
Genetic, ecological, behavioral and geographic differentiation of populations in a thistle weevil: implications for speciation and biocontrol
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 112–128, February 2008
How to Cite
Olivieri, I., Singer, M. C., Magalhães, S., Courtiol, A., Dubois, Y., Carbonell, D., Justy, F., Beldade, P., Parmesan, C. and Michalakis, Y. (2008), Genetic, ecological, behavioral and geographic differentiation of populations in a thistle weevil: implications for speciation and biocontrol. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 112–128. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00010.x
Present address: Patrícia Beldade, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Kaiserstraat 63, 2311 GP Leiden, The Netherlands
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2008
- Received: 24 September 2007 Accepted: 5 December 2007
- 2008. Analyzing Linguistic Data: A Practical Introduction to Statistics. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- 2007. Lme4: Linear Mixed-Effects Models Using S4 Classes. URL http://cran.r-project.org. R package version 0.99875-2. , and .
- 2002. Sympatric speciation in phytophagous insects: moving beyond controversy? Annual Review of Entomology 47:773–815. , and .
- 1994. Host-Plant Selection by Phytophagous Insects. Chapman & Hall, Inc., New York, London, 312 pp. , and .
- 1996. Comparative spatial structure of markers and quantitative characters in a selfing plant species, Medicago trunculata (Leguminosae). Genetics 143:1795–1805. , , and .
- 1996. Life history of the Onopordum capitulum weevil Larinus latus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Oecologia 105:454–463.
- 1995. Open-field-host-specificity testing for potential biological control agents of Onopordum thistles. Biological Control 5:158–166. , , and .
- 1996. Micro-evolution in the weevil genus Larinus: the formation of host biotypes and speciation. Molecular Ecology 5:531–545. , , and .
- 1994. Sympatric speciation in animals: new wine in old bottles. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:285–288.
- 1987. A new approach to sympatric speciation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 2:310–311.
- 1993. Behavioral evidence for host-race formation in Eurostigma solidaginis. Evolution 47:1696–1710. , , , and .
- 1997. Hybridization studies on the host races of Eurosta solidaginis : implications for sympatric speciation. Evolution 51:1552–1560. , , and .
- 2007. The R Book. John Wiley, New York.
- 2002. Host races in plant-feeding insects and their importance in sympatric speciation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 357:471–492. , and .
- 1996. Species boundaries, specialization, and the radiation of sponge-dwelling alpheid shrimp. Biological of the Linnean Society 58:307–324.
- 2001. Host-induced assortative mating in host races of the larch budmoth. Evolution 55:2002–2010. , , , and .
- 2004. Genomic evidence for divergence with gene flow in host races of the larch budmoth. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 271:97–105. , , and .
- 1999. It’s about time: the evidence for host plant-mediated selection in the apple maggot fly, Rhagoletis pomonella, and its implications for fitness trade-offs in phytophagous insects. Entomologia Experimentalis Et Applicata 91:211–225. , and .
- 1988. Genetic differentiation between sympatric host races of the apple maggot fly Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature 336:61–64. , , and .
- 1994. Host fidelity is an effective premating barrier between sympatric races of the apple maggot fly. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences U S A 91:7990–7994. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Selective maintenance of allozyme differences among sympatric host races of the apple maggot fly. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U S A 94:11417–11421. , , , and .
- 2003. Allopatric genetic origins for sympatric host-plant shifts and race formation in Rhagoletis. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences U S A 100:10314–10319. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package). Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2006. Population differentiation and genetic variation in host preference among pea aphids from eight host plant genera. Evolution 60:1574–1584. , , , , and .
- 1981. Specialization: species property or local phenomenon? Science 211:887–893. , and .
- 2004. Genetic architecture of population differences in oviposition behavior of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17:1141–1151. , , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological specialization correlates with genotypic differentiation in sympatric host-populations of the pea aphid. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:392–401. , , , and .
- 2007. Rapid adaptation to a novel host in a seed beetle (Callosobruchus maculatus): the role of sexual selection. Evolution 61:440–454. , and .
- 2004a. Host range of Ceutorhynchus assimilis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), a candidate for biological control of Lepidium draba (Barssicaceae) in the USA. Biological Control 30:598–607. , , , , and .
- 2005. High through- put characterization of insect morphocryptic entities by a non-invasive method using direct-PCR of fecal DNA. Journal of Biotechnology 119:15–19. , , and .
- 1998. Isolating a role for natural selection in speciation: host adaptation and sexual isolation in Neochlamisus bebbianae leaf beetles. Evolution 198:1744–1759.
- 2001. Geographic variation in host specificity reveals host range evolution in Uroleucon ambrosiae aphids. Ecology 82:726–739. , and .
- 1996. Insect–plant interactions: the evolution of component communities. Philosophical Transactions Royal Society of London B 351:1361–1366. , and .
- 1994. Genetic variation in a phylogenetic context: responses of two specialized leaf beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) to host plants of their congeners. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 7:127–146. , , , , and .
- 1997. Population dynamics of the citrus red mite, Panonychus citri (McGregor) (Acari: Tetranychidae) in Japanese pear orchards. Experimental and Applied Acarology 21:343–356. , and .
- 1992. Larinus obtusus Gyll. (Col.: Curculionidae): A Candidate for Biological Control of Diffuse and Spotted Knapweed. International Institute of Biology control, Délémont, Switzerland, 46 pp.
- 1990. A field experiment to determine host specificity of Larinus curtus Hochhut (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) and Urophora sirunaseva Hg (Diptera, Tephritidae), candidates for biological control of Centaurea solstitialis L. (Asteraceae) and Larinus minutus Gyllenhal, a candidate for biological control of Centaurea maculosa Lam. and Centaurea diffusa Lam. Journal of Applied Entomology 110:300–306. , , and .
- 2001. Extinction-colonization dynamics and host plant choice in butterfly metapopulations. American Naturalist 158:341–353. , and .
- 2001. Genetic linkage of ecological specialization and reproductive isolation in pea aphids. Nature 412:904–907. , and .
- 2004. Ten species in one: DNA barcoding reveals cryptic species in the neotropical skipper butterfly Astraptes fulgerator. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U S A 101:14812–14817. , , , , and .
- 2005. Microevolution in biological control: mechanisms, patterns and processes. Biological Control 35:227–239. , and .
- 1998. Butterflies and plants: a phylogenetic study. Evolution 52:486–502. , and .
- 2007. Life history variation in the heavy metal tolerant plant Thlaspi caerulescens growing in a network of contaminated and noncontaminated sites in southern France: role of gene flow, selection and phenotypic plasticity. New Phytologist 173:199–215. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Host specificity of Larinus minutus Gyll. (Col., Curculionidae), an agent introduced for the biological control of diffuse and spotted knapweed in North America. Journal of Applied Entomology 119:689–693.
- 1997. Host plant influences on sex pheromone behavior of phytophagous insects. Annual Reviews of Entomology 42:371–391. , and .
- 1996. Establishment of Larinus minutus Gyllenhal (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) for biological control of diffuse and spotted knapweed in the western United States. Pan-Pacific Entomologist 72:209–212. , , and .
- 2003. Genetic variability at neutral markers, quantitative trait loci and trait in a subdivided population under selection. Genetics 164:1205–1219. , and .
- 2001. Genetic Data Analysis: Computer Program for the Analysis of Allelic Data. Version 1.0 (D16c). Free program distributed by the authors over the internet from http://lewis.eeb.uconn.edu/lewishome/software.html. , and .
- 1998. Population growth of Rhinocyllus conicus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) on two species of native thistles in prairie. Environmental Entomology 27:834–841.
- 1997. Ecological effects of an insect introduced for the biological control of weeds. Science 277:1088–1090. , , , and .
- 2005. Evaluation-of ecological risk to populations of a threatened plant from an invasive biocontrol insect. Ecological Applications 15:234–249. , , , , , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalised regression approach. Cancer Research 27:209–220.
- 1948. Osservazioni su due species del genere Larinus Germ. Redia 33:221–286.
- 2001. Host specificity of a generalist parasite: genetic evidence of sympatric host races in the seabird tick Ixodes uriae. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 14:395–405. , , , and .
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models. Chapman and Hall, London. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:285–291. , and .
- 1988. Genetic differences between host races of Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature 336:64–66. , , and .
- 2004. How labile are the egg-laying preferences of seed beetles? Ecological Entomology 29:318–326.
- 1992. The taxonomic status of Larinus cynarae F. and Larinus latus Herbst (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), and its implications for the biological control of Onopordum (Asteraceae: cardueae) in Australia. Biocontrol Science and Technology 2:275–280. , , and .
- 1993. Population structure of a herbivorous insect and its host plant on a microgeographic scale. Evolution 47:1611–1616. , , , and .
- 1999. Reinforcement and other consequences of sympatry. Heredity 83:503–508.
- 2002. Host-plant adaptation drives the parallel evolution of reproductive isolation. Nature 417:440–443. , , and .
- 2007. Natural selection and divergence in mate preference during speciation. Genetica 129:309–327. , , , and .
- 1999. Chromosomenzahlen einiger europäischer Centaurea-Sippen (Asteraceae). Haussknechtia 7:59–65.
- 1988. Influence of insect attack on reproductive potential of thistle species in Jordan. Entomologia Generalis 14:25–35.
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus. Springer, New York. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (ver. 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1985. Disruptive selection on habitat preference and the evolution of reproductive isolation: an exploratory experiment. Evolution 39:645–656.
- 2005. Indirect interaction between two native thistles mediated by an invasive exotic floral herbivore. Oecologia 146:373–384. , and .
- 2007. Variation in herbivore-mediated indirect effects of an invasive plant on a native plant. Ecology 88:413–423. , , , and .
- 2005. Scientific advances in the analysis of direct risks of weed biological control agents to nontarget plants. Biological Control 35:215–226. , , and .
- 1971. Evolution of food plant preference in the butterfly Euphydryas editha. Evolution 25:383–387.
- 2004. Oviposition preference: its definition, measurement, correlates and its use in assessing risks of host shifts. In J. M. Cullen et al., eds. Proceedings of the XI International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, pp. 235–244. CSIRO Entomology, Canberra.
- 1993. Sources of variations in patterns of plant–insect association. Nature 361:251–253. , and .
- 1988. Heritability of oviposition preference and its relationship to offspring performance within a single insect population. Evolution 42:977–985. , , and .
- 1993. Rapid human-induced evolution of insect–host associations. Nature 366:681–683. , , and .
- 1994. Biology of Larinus curtus Hochhut (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), a European weevil for biological control of yellow starthistle, Centaurea solstitialis L. (Asteraceae), in the United States. Biological Control 4:328–335. , and .
- 1997. Fear no weevil? Science 277:1058–1059.
- 1994. Labile behavioral evolution in a genus of agricultural pests: the Rhopalosiphum plant lice (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 87:311–320.
- 1993. Preference hierarchies and the origin of geographic specialization in host use in swallowtail butterflies. Evolution 47:1585–1594.
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2007. Genetic architecture of differences in oviposition preference between ancestral and derived populations of the seed beetle Acanthoscelides obtectus. Heredity 98:268–273. , and .
- 1999. Reproductive isolation between sympatric races of pea aphids. I. Gene flow restriction and habitat choice. Evolution 53:1446–1457.
- 2001. Sympatric speciation in animals: the ugly duckling grows up. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:381–390.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2007. The decline of water hyacinth on Lake Victoria was due to biological control by Neochitina spp. Aquatic Botany 87:90–93. , , , , , , et al.
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Annals of Eugenics 15:323–354.
- 1969. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations. Vol. 2. The Theory of Gene Frequencies. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2007. Hawthorn-infesting populations of Rhagoletis pomonella in Mexico and speciation mode plurality. Evolution 61:1091–1105. , , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Präadaptation, wirtskreiserweiterung und parallel-cladogenese in der evolution von phytophagen insekten. Zeitschrift für Zoologische Systematik und Evolutionforschung 26:320–340. , and .