Adaptation, extinction and global change
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 3–16, February 2008
How to Cite
Bell, G. and Collins, S. (2008), Adaptation, extinction and global change. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 3–16. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2007.00011.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2008
- Received: 28 October 2007 Accepted: 5 December 2007
- 2005. Synthesis of iron fertilization experiments: from the iron age in the age of enlightenment. Journal of Geophysical Research 110:C09S16. , , et al.
- 2000. CO2 acquisition, concentration and fixation in cyanobacteria and algae. In R. C. Leegood, T. D. Sharkey, and S. von Caemmerer, eds. Photosynthesis; Physiology and Metabolism, pp. 369–397. Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York. , and .
- 1998. The diversity and coevolution of Rubisco, plastids, pyrenoids, and chloroplast-based CO2 concentrating mechanisms in algae. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:1052–1071. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The potential effects of global climate change on microalgal photosynthesis, growth and ecology. Phycologia 43:26–41. , and .
- 1998. Environmental regulation of CO2-concentrating mechanisms in microalgae. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:1010–1017. , , and .
- 2008. Selection. The Mechanism of Evolution, 2nd edn. Oxford Univ Press, Oxford.
- 1991. The ecology and genetics of fitness in forest plants. III. Environmental variance in natural populations of Impsatiens pallida. The Journal of Ecology 79:697–713. , , and .
- 1993. The spatial structure of the physical environment. Oecologia, 96:114–121. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Stomatal physiology and morphology of calcareous grasslands in a future CO2-enriched world. In A. Raschi, F. P. Vaccari, and F. Miglietta, eds. Ecosystem Response to CO2: The MAPLE Project Results, pp. 39–52. European Commission Directorate-General for Research Unit D.1.1.- Preserving the ecosystem, Brussels. , , , and .
- 2002. Sources of inorganic carbon for photosynthesis in a strain of Phaedactylum tricornutum. Limnology and Oceanography 47:1192–1197. .
- 2000. A mesoscale phytoplankton bloom in the polar Southern Ocean stimulated by iron fertilization. Nature 407:695–702. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The induction of inorganic carbon transport and external carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii is regulated by external CO2 concentration. Plant Cell & Environment 23:1137–1144. , and .
- 1991. Genostasis and the limits to evolution. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B 333:289–305.
- 1991. Evolutionary response to global climate change. Annals of Botany 67(Suppl. 1):5–14. , and .
- 2007. Ecology: death and destruction determine diversity. Current Biology 17:512–514.
- 2003. Mathematical analysis of a model describing evolution of an asexual population in a changing environment. Mathematical Biosciences 186:93–108. , , and .
- 2004. The effects of iron fertilization on carbon sequestration in the Southern Ocean. Science 304:414–417. , , , and .
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment: a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49:151–163. , and .
- 2001. CO2 and HCO3− uptake in marine diatoms acclimated to different CO2 concentrations. Limnology and Oceanography 46:1378–1391. , , , and .
- 2005. Growth and biochemical composition of the diatom Chaetoceros cf. Wighamii brightwell under different temperature, salinity and carbon dioxide levels. I. Protein, carbohydrages and lipids. Aquaculture 246:405–412. , and .
- 1993. Directional selection and the evolution of sex and recombination. Genetical Research 61:205–224.
- 2000. The relationship between the dissolved inorganic carbon concentration and growth rate in marine phytoplankton. Proceedings of the Royal Society. London B 267:953–959. , and .
- 2004. Southern Ocean iron enrichment experiment: carbon cycling in high- and low-Si waters. Science 304:408–414. et al.
- 2002. The diversity of inorganic carbon acquisition mechanisms in eukaryotic microalgae. Functional Plant Biology 29:261–270. , , , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic consequences of 1,000 generations of selection at elevated CO2 in a green alga. Nature 431:566–569. , and .
- 2006. Evolution of natural algal populations at elevated CO2. Ecological Letters 9:129–135. , and .
- 2006. Changes in carbon uptake in populations of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii selected at high CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 29:1812–1819. , , and .
- 2007. Adaptive walks towards a moving optimum. Genetics 176:1089–1099. , , and .
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2007. The duistribution of fitness effects of new mutations. Nature Reviews Genetics 8:610–618. , and .
- 1994. The role of phytoplankton photosynthesis in global biogeochemical cycles. Photosynthesis Research 39:235–258.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford. .
- 2004. Responses to Environmental Change: Adaptation or Extinction. In Evolutionary Conservation Biology, (R. Ferrière, U. Dieckmann, and D. Couvet, eds.) pp. 85–100. Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 1999. Do population size bottlenecks reduce evolutionary potential? Animal Conservation 2:255–260. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of increased temperature and CO2 on photosynthesis, growth, and elemental ratios in marine Synechococcus and Prochlorococcus (cyanobacteria). Journal of Phycology 43:485–496. , , , , and .
- 2007. Predation and disturbance interact to shape prey species diversity. The American Naturalist 170:143–154. , , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Molecular evolution over the mutational landscape. Evolution 38:1116–1129.
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296:707–711. , and .
- 2004. Diclofenac poisoning as a cause of vulture population declines across the Indian subcontinent. The Journal of Applied Ecology 41:793–800. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2007. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 2004. Comparing strengths of directional selection: how strong is strong? Evolution 58:2133–2143. , , and .
- 2004. Inferences on the genetics of quantitative traits from long-term selection in laboratory and domestic animals. Plant Breeding Reviews 24, Part 2:169–210. , and .
- 2001. Strength and tempo of natural selection in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:9157–9160. et al.
- 2004. Conservation implications of niche conservatism and evolution in heterogeneous environments. In Evolutionary Conservation Biology, (R. Ferrière, U. Dieckmann, and D. Couvet, eds.) pp. 244–264. Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 1999. Mechanisms of fluoroquinolone resistance. Drug Updates 2:38–55.
- 2007. CO2 control of Trichodesmium N2 fixation, photosynthesis, growth rates, and elemental ratios: implications for past, present, and future ocean biogeochemistry. Limnology and Oceanography 52:1293–1304. , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. The long-term temporal variability and spectral colour of animal populations. Evolutionary Ecology Research 4:1033–1048. , and .
- 2004. Spontaneous mutations in diploid Saccharomyces cerevisiae: more beneficial than expected. Genetics 168:1817–1825. , and .
- 2006. Distribution of fitness effects among beneficial mutations before selection in experimental populations of bacteria. Nature Genetics 38:484–488. , and .
- 2003. Toward a realistic model of mutations affecting fitness. Evolution 57:683–685. , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. The American Naturalist 157:245–261. et al.
- 1997. Differential selection of multidrug efflux systems by quinolones in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 41:2540–2543. , , , , and .
- 2007. Adaptation of a quantitative trait to a moving optimum. Genetics 176:715–719. , and .
- 1998. Indication of a universal persistence law governing atmospheric variability. Physical Review Letters 81:729–732. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B 359:873–890.
- 1976. Effects of acidity on the phytoplankton and primary productivity of selected northern Ontario lakes. Canadian J Botany 54:2546–2561. , and .
- 1987. The consequences of fluctuating selection for isozyme polymorphisms in Daphnia. Genetics 115:657–669.
- 1993. Evolution and extinction in response to environmental change. In P. M. Kareiva, J. G. Kingsolver, and R. B. Huey, eds. Biotic Interactions and Global Climate Change, pp. 234–250. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2007. Pleiotropy and GAL pathway degeneration in yeast. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:1333–1338.
- 2006. A general multivariate extension of Fisher’s geometrical model and the distribution of mutation fitness effects across species. Evolution 60:893–907. , and .
- 2000. Mutation frequencies and antibiotic resistance. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 44:1771–1777. , and .
- 2004. Components of variance underlying fitness in a natural population of the great tit Parus major. The American Naturalist 164:E62–E72. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. The American Naturalist 155:301–310. , and .
- 2007. The effects of competition and predation on diversification in a model adaptive radiation. Nature 446:432–435. , and .
- 2004. Parasites mediate the relationship between host diversity and disturbance. Ecological Letters 7:1029–1034. , and .
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 2002. The population genetics of adaptation: the adaptation of DNA sequences. Evolution 56:1317–1330.
- 2001. The Evolution Explosion. Norton & Co, New York & London.
- 1988. The variability of population densities. Nature 334:613–614. , and .
- 2001. Altered physiological and growth responses to elevated [CO2] in offspring from hold oak (Quercus ilex L.) mother trees with lifetime exposure to naturally elevated [CO2]. Plant Cell & Environment 24:1075–1083. , , and .
- 1991. Physiology of inorganic carbon acquisition and implications for resource use efficiency by marine phytoplankton: relation to increased CO2 and temperature. Plant Cell & Environment 14:779–794.
- 1999. Oceanic sinks for atmospheric CO2. Plant Cell & Environment 22:741–755. , and .
- 2003. Genetic and plastic responses of a norther mammal to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 270:591–596. , , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of rapid evolution. Genetica 112/113:183–198. , and .
- 2004. Effects of CO2 enrichment on marine phytoplankton. Journal of Oceanography 60:719–729. .
- 2003. Carbon acquisition of bloom-forming marine phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 48:55–67. , , and .
- 2004. The distribution of fitness effects caused by single-nucleotide substitutions in an RNA virus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:8396–8401. , , and .
- 1984. A new model for the oceans in determining atmospheric pCO2. Nature 308:621–624. , and .
- 2004. Increase of atmospheric CO2 promotes phytoplankton productivity. Ecological Letters 7:446–451. , , and .
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994. The ecology and genetics of fitness in forest plants. IV. Quantitative genetics of fitness components in Impatiens pallida. American Journal of Botany 81:232–239. , , and .
- 2000. Spontaneous mutational effects on reproductive traits of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 155:369–378. , , and .
- 2000. Effect at the ecosystem level of elevated atmospheric CO2 in an aquatic microcosm. Hydrobiologia 436:209–216. , and .
- 2005. Loss of dispensable genes is not adaptive in yeast. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:17670–17674. , and .
- 1982. Rapid divergence of plant populations in response to recent changes in soil conditions. Evolution 36:289–297. , and .
- 1984. Coevolution in ecosystems: Red Queen evolution or stasis? Evolution 38:870–880. , and .
- 1987. Pattern of phenotypic viability and fecundity selection in a natural population of Impatiens pallida. Evolution 41:1290–1301. , and .
- 1973. Heavy-metal tolerance in algae isolated from contaminated lakes near Sudbury, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Botany 51:2155–2168. , , and .
- 1998. Carbonic anhydrase in eukaryotic algae: characterization, regulation, and possible function during photosynthesis. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:962–972. .
- 2000. Inorganic carbon acquisition in coastal Pacific phytoplankton communities. Limnology and Oceanography 47:1485–1500. , , and .
- 2002. CO2 effects on taxonomic composition and nutrient utilization in an Equatorial Pacific phytoplankton assemblage. Marine Ecology Progress Series 236:37–43. , , , and .
- 1973. A new evolutionary law. Evolutionary Theory 1:1–30.
- 1999. The fitness effects of spontaneous mutations in Caenorhabditis elegans. Evolution 54:1234–1246. , , and .
- Watson, R., J. Houghton, and D. Yihui. (Editors) 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge.
- 1999. Sex and adaptation in a changing environment. Genetics 153:1041–1053. , and .
- 2004. Population size and long-term selection. Plant Breeding Reviews 24, Part 1:249–268.