Rapid natural selection for resistance to an introduced parasite of rainbow trout
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 336–341, May 2008
How to Cite
Miller, M. P. and Vincent, E. R. (2008), Rapid natural selection for resistance to an introduced parasite of rainbow trout. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 336–341. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00018.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2008
- Received: 26 October 2007 Accepted: 18 January 2008
- 2001. Whirling disease and wild trout: Darwinian fisheries management. Fisheries 26:27–29. , , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolutionary dynamics and disease threats to biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:589–596. , , and .
- 2003. The role of evolution in the emergence of infectious diseases. Nature 426:658–661. , , , and .
- 2000. Myxobolus cerebralis infection in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and brown trout (Salmo trutta) exposed under natural stream conditions. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 12:312–321. , , , and .
- 2002. The history and dissemination of Whirling disease. American Fisheries Society Symposium 29:3–24. , and .
- 1953. Impressions of fish scales in plastic. Journal of Wildlife Management 17:218–219. , and .
- 2000. Emerging infectious diseases of wildlife – threats to biodiversity and human health. Science 287:443–449. , , and .
- 2001. Emerging infectious pathogens of wildlife. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 356:1001–1012. , and .
- 2007. Relative susceptibility and effects on performance of Rio Grande cutthroat trout and rainbow trout challenged with Myxobolous cerbralis. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:1406–1414. , , and .
- 1995. Light and electron microscopic observations on the route of the triactinomyxon–sporoplasm of Myxobolus cerebralis from epidermis into the rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) cartilage. Journal of Fish Biology 46:919–935. , , and .
- 2005. Observations of spawning behaviour in Salmoninae: Salmo, Oncorhynchus, and Salvelinus. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 15:1–21. .
- 1999. Susceptibility of selected inland salmonids to experimentally induced infections with Myxobolus cerebralis, the causative agent of whirling disease. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 11:330–439. , , , , and .
- 2003. Susceptibility of two strains of rainbow trout (one with suspected resistance to whirling disease) to Myxobolus cerebralis infection. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 55:37–44. , , , , , , and .
- 1990. Myxobolus cerebralis, a worldwide cause of salmonid whirling disease. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 2:30–37.
- 2006. Report confirms Utah fish sales gutted, The Salt Lake Tribune, October 18th 2006. Salt Lake City, Utah. .
- 2003. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:386–391.
- 2000. Biotic invasions: causes, epidemiology, global consequences, and control. Ecological Applications 10:689–710. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Whirling disease: earliest susceptible age of rainbow trout to the triactinomyxid of Myxobolus cerebralis. Aquaculture 92:1–6.
- 1996. Whirling disease in the wild: the new reality for the Intermountain West. Fisheries 21:28–30. , and .
- 1979. Effects of female age and egg size on growth and mortality in rainbow trout. Progressive Fish Culturist 41:202–204.
- 2004. Effects of fish age and parasite dose on the development of whirling disease in rainbow trout. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 59:225–233. , , and .
- 2005. Effects of fish age versus size on the development of whirling disease in rainbow trout. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 63:69–76. , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of multiple stressors on morbidity and mortality of fingerling rainbow trout infected with Myxobolus cerebralis. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:859–865. , , and .
- 2006. Inheritance of Myxobolus cerebralis resistance among F1-generation crosses of whirling disease resistant and susceptible rainbow trout strains. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 18:109–115. , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities? Ecology Letters 9:357–374. , , and .
- 1996. Whirling disease and wild trout: the Montana experience. Fisheries 21:32–33.
- 2002. Relative susceptibility of various salmonids to whirling disease with emphasis on rainbow and cutthroat trout. American Fisheries Society Symposium 29:109–115.
- 2006. Evaluation of disease resistance of the Fish Lake-DeSmet and Harrison Lake strains of rainbow trout exposed to Myxobolus cerebralis. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 18:128–135. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Salmonid whirling disease: status in the United States, 1985. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 22:295–299. .