Adaptive landscapes and density-dependent selection in declining salmonid populations: going beyond numerical responses to human disturbance
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 239–251, May 2008
How to Cite
Einum, S., Robertsen, G. and Fleming, I. A. (2008), Adaptive landscapes and density-dependent selection in declining salmonid populations: going beyond numerical responses to human disturbance. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 239–251. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00021.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2008
- Received: 31 October 2007 Accepted: 30 January 2008
- 2005. Is metabolic rate a reliable predictor of growth and survival of brown trout (Salmo trutta) in the wild? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:643–649. , and .
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection – theory. Evolution 38:709–719. , and .
- 1996. Population dynamics with sequential density-dependencies. Oikos 75:174–181. , , and .
- 1996. Are the ratios of bill crossing morphs in crossbills the result of frequency-dependent selection? Evolutionary Ecology 10:119–126.
- 2004. Limiting factors and population regulation. Oikos 105:667–670.
- 1964. Competition among genotypes in the housefly at varying densities and proportions (the Green strain). Evolution 18:312–330. , and .
- 2001. Intraspecific competition favours niche width expansion in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 410:463–466.
- 1984. Restitution of r-selection and K-selection as a model of density-dependent natural selection. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15:427–447.
- 1980. Population tracking of fluctuating environments and natural selection for tracking ability. American Naturalist 115:480–491. , and .
- 1995. First access to territorial space and exposure to strong predation pressure: a conflict in early emerging Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) fry. Evolutionary Ecology 9:411–420.
- 2004. Conflicting selection pressures on the growth/predation risk trade-off in a damselfly. Ecology 85:2927–2932. , and .
- 2004. The effects of density on the growth and survival of different families of juvenile Penaeus japonicus Bate. Aquaculture 229:215–223. , , , and .
- 1989. Density-dependent sexual selection in the fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus. Evolution 43:1378–1386.
- 2005. Asymmetric gene flow and the evolutionary maintenance of genetic diversity in small, peripheral Atlantic salmon populations. Conservation Genetics 6:823–842. , , , and .
- 2005. Relative importance of salmon body size and arrival time at breeding grounds to reproductive success. Ecology 86:347–352. , , , , and .
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400:354–357. , and .
- 2003. Atlantic salmon growth in strongly food-limited environments: effects of egg size and paternal phenotype? Environmental Biology of Fishes 67:263–268.
- 2005. Salmonid population dynamics: stability under weak density dependence? Oikos 110:630–633.
- 1999. Maternal effects of egg size in brown trout (Salmo trutta): norms of reaction to environmental quality. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 266:2095–2100. , and .
- 2000a. Highly fecund mothers sacrifice offspring survival to maximise fitness. Nature 405:565–567. , and .
- 2000b. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution 54:628–639. , and .
- 2004. Does within-population variation in egg size reduce intraspecific competition in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar? Functional Ecology 18:110–115. , and .
- 2005. Local-scale density-dependent survival of mobile organisms in continuous habitats: an experimental test using Atlantic salmon. Oecologia 143:203–210. , and .
- 2003. Population stability in salmon species: effects of population size and female reproductive allocation. Journal of Animal Ecology 72:811–821. , , , and .
- 2006. The partitioning of density-dependent dispersal, growth and survival throughout ontogeny in a highly fecund organism. Oikos 113:489–496. , , and .
- 2008. Nest-distribution shaping within-stream variation in Atlantic salmon juvenile abundance and competition over small spatial scales. Journal of Animal Ecology 77:167–172. , , , and .
- 2008. Predicting population responses to breeding habitat restoration in Atlantic salmon. Journal of Applied Ecology (doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2008.01464.x). , , , and .
- 1994. Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2007. Maintaining a behaviour polymorphism by frequency-dependent selection on a single gene. Nature 447:210–213. , , , and .
- 1998. Pattern and variability in the breeding system of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), with comparisons to other salmonids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55(Suppl. 1):59–76.
- 1989. Evolution of adult female life history and morphology in a Pacific salmon (Coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch). Evolution 43:141–157. , and .
- 1993. Breeding success of hatchery and wild coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in competition. Ecological Applications 3:230–245. , and .
- 1994. Breeding competition in a Pacific salmon (coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch): measures of natural and sexual selection. Evolution 48:637–657. , and .
- 2004. Salmonid breeding systems. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated. Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 264–294. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1997. Effects of early experience on the reproductive performance of Atlantic salmon. Behavioral Ecology 8:470–480. , , and .
- 1992. Parasites, bright males, and the immunocompetence handicap. American Naturalist 139:603–622. , and .
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive barriers driven by sexual conflict. Nature 403:886–889.
- 1999. Rapid and coupled phenotypic and genetic divergence in Icelandic Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:2229–2234. , , , and .
- 2001. The benefits of genetic diversity outweigh those of kin association in a territorial animal. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 268:1293–1296. , and .
- 1985. Disruptive selection for alternative life history strategies in salmon. Nature 313:47–48.
- 1996. Alternative reproductive strategies and tactics: diversity within sexes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11:92–98.
- 2003. Does dominance status correlate with growth in wild stream-dwelling Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)? Behavioral Ecology 14:902–908. , , , and .
- 2001. Effects of salmon-derived nitrogen on riparian forest growth and implications for stream habitat. Ecology 82:2403–2409. , and .
- 2004. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1999. Breeding date, life history, and energy allocation in a population of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Oikos 85:499–514. , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive variation in senescence: reproductive lifespan in a wild salmon population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 271:259–266. , , , and .
- 2002. Can laboratory studies on dominance predict fitness of young brown trout in the wild? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 52:102–108. , , and .
- 1993. Frequency-dependent natural selection in the handedness of scale-eating cichlid fish. Science 260:216–219.
- 1991. Fitness consequences of variation in egg size and food abundance in brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis. Evolution 45:1162–1168.
- 1999. The functional relationship between peak spring floods and survival and growth of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and brown trout (Salmo trutta). Functional Ecology 13:778–785. , and .
- 1998. The relative role of density-dependent and density-independent survival in the life cycle of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology 67:751–762. , , and .
- 1996. Density-dependent natural selection in Drosophila: trade-offs between larval food acquisition and utilization. Evolutionary Ecology 10:463–474. , and .
- 2001. K-selection, alpha-selection, effectiveness, and tolerance in competition: density-dependent selection revisited. Journal of Genetics 80:63–75. , , and .
- 1971. Age-specific selection II. The interaction between r and K during population growth. American Naturalist 105:137–156. , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1955. The effects of population density and composition on viability in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 9:27–41.
- 1967. The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2006. Offspring size effects mediate competitive interactions in a colonial marine invertebrate. Ecology 87:214–225. , , and .
- 2003. The evolution of reproductive isolation through sexual conflict. Nature 423:979–982. , and .
- 2002. Growth rates of wild stream-dwelling Atlantic salmon correlate with activity and sex but not dominance. Journal of Animal Ecology 71:413–423. , and .
- 1989. Early social status and the development of life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 236:7–19. , , , and .
- 1992. Relationships between social status, otolith size at first feeding and subsequent growth in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Journal of Animal Ecology 61:585–589. , , and .
- 1995. Metabolic rate, social status and life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Animal Behaviour 49:431–436. , , and .
- 1999. Repeated selection of morphometric traits in the Soay sheep on St Kilda. Journal of Animal Ecology 68:472–488. , , , , and .
- 2003. Timing games in the reproductive phenology of female Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.). American Naturalist 161:284–298. , and .
- 1997. Theoretical and empirical examination of density-dependent selection. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28:269–288.
- 1991. Density-dependent natural selection and trade-offs in life-history traits. Science 253:433–435. , , and .
- 2000. Spatially explicit bioenergetic analysis of habitat quality for age-0 Atlantic salmon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:1067–1081. , , and .
- 1970. On r- and K-selection. American Naturalist 104:592–597.
- 1999. Variation in Pacific salmon reproductive behaviour associated with species, sex and levels of competition. Behaviour 136:179–204.
- 2005. The Behaviour and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 2003. Density-dependent predation by brown bears (Ursus arctos) on sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:553–562. , , , and .
- 2007. Density, climate, and the processes of prespawning mortality and egg retention in Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:574–582. , , , and .
- 1993. Two male types of the common earwig – male-male competition and mating success. Ethology 95:89–96. , and .
- 2002. r- and selection revisited: the role of population regulation in life-istory evolution. Ecology 83:1509–1520. , , and .
- 1971. Density-dependent natural selection. Ecology 52:453–468.
- 2006. Disruptive selection and then what? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:238–245. , , , and .
- 2000. Ecological character displacement in adaptive radiation. American Naturalist 156:S4–S16.
- 1982. The influence of intrasexual competition the distribution of chum salmon in a experimental stream. In E. L.Brannon, and E. O.Salo, eds. Salmon and Trout Migratory Behavior Symposium, pp. 275–285. School of Fisheries, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2007. DNA parentage analysis reveals inter-annual variation in selection: results from 19 consecutive brood years in steelhead trout. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:409–431. , , and .
- 2001. Runaway social games, genetic cycles driven by alternative male and female strategies, and the origin of morphs. Genetica 112:417–434.
- 2000. Density cycles and an offspring quantity and quality game driven by natural selection. Nature 406:985–988. , , and .
- 1963. Competition among genotypes in Tribolium castaneum at varying densities and gene frequencies (the Sooty locus). American Naturalist 97:169–184. , and .
- 1977. Evolution of life-history traits – a critique of the theory and a review of data. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 8:145–171.
- 2007. Genetically enhanced growth causes increased mortality in hypoxic environments. Biology Letters 3:165–168. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Density-dependent competition and selection on immune function in genetic lizard morphs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:12561–12565. , , and .
- 2004. Population density drives the local evolution of a threshold dimorphism. Nature 431:1099–1103. , and .
- 2003. Trade-off between growth rate and aggression in juvenile coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Animal Behaviour 66:561–568. , and .
- 1998. Influence of salmon carcasses on stream productivity: response of biofilm and benthic macroinvertebrates in southeastern Alaska, U.S.A. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1503–1511. , , and .
- 1998. Correlation among dominance status, metabolic rate and otolith size in masu salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 52:281–290. , , and .
- 1999. Environmental correlates of male life history variation among coho salmon populations from two Oregon coastal basins. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 128:1–16.
- 1987. Aggression, density, and sexual dimorphism in chernetid Pseudoscorpions (Arachnida, Pseudoscorpionida). Evolution 41:1072–1087.