The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 409–423, May 2008
How to Cite
Thériault, V., Dunlop, E. S., Dieckmann, U., Bernatchez, L. and Dodson, J. J. (2008), The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 409–423. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00022.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 8 November 2007 Accepted: 28 January 2008
- 2005. Balancing selection on size: effects on the incidence of an alternative reproductive tactic. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7:1171–1182. , , , and .
- 2004. Long-term trend in the maturation reaction norm of two cod stocks. Ecological Applications 14:1257–1271. , , , and .
- 2005. Maturation of Newfoundland American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides): long-term trends in maturation reaction norms despite low fishing mortality? ICES Journal of Marine Science 62:52–64. , , , and .
- 2006. Body condition and evolution of maturation of Atlantic cod in Newfoundland. ICES CM 2006/H:19. , , , and .
- 1986. Changes in mean weight, sea-age composition, and catch-per-unit-effort of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) angled in the Godbout River, Quebec, 1859–1983. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 43:281–287. , and .
- 1990. Large or small at maturity-theories on the choice of alternative male strategies in anadromous salmonids. Annales Zoologici Fennici 27:139–147. , , and .
- 2005. Natural selection and genetic variation for reproductive reaction norms in a wild bird population. Evolution 59:1362–1371. , , , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Evolution of continuous variation: direct approach through joint distribution of genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 73:1689–1692. , and .
- 2008. Molecular ecological approaches to studying the evolutionary impact of selective harvesting in wildlife. Molecular Ecology 17:221–235.
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , et al.
- 2000. Darwinian fishery science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:303–306.
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting recreational and commercial fishing: Searching for common issues to promote unified conservation of fisheries resources and aquatic environments. Biological Conservation 128:93–108. , and .
- 2004. Over-harvesting leads to a Darwinian debt as only the smaller cod survive. The Financial Times 28 August 2004: 1. http://www.iiasa.ac.at/docs/HOTP/Sep04/article.pdf .
- 2001. Estimation of marine exploitation rates on Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) stocks in Newfoundland, Canada. ICES Journal of Marine Science 58:331–341. , , et al.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2005. Isolating the influence of growth rate on maturation patterns in the smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:844–853. , , and .
- 2007. The demographic and evolutionary consequences of selective mortality: predictions from an eco-genetic model of the smallmouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:749–765. , , and .
- 1993. A 25-year study of production of juvenile sea-trout, Salmo trutta, in an English Lake District stream. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 118:109–122.
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 1999. Juvenile migration in brown trout: a consequence of energetic state. Journal of Animal Ecology 68:783–793. , , , and .
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, New York. , , and .
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 2003. Differential reproductive success and heritability of alternative reproductive tactics in wild Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar L.). Evolution 57:1133–1141. , , and .
- 2006. Disparate maturation adaptations to size-dependent mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society London Series B – Biological Sicences 273:2185–2192. , and .
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-years study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296:707–711. , and .
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2007. Three-dimensional maturation reaction norms for North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 334:213–224. , , , , and .
- 1985. Disruptive selection for alternative life histories in salmon. Nature 313:47–48.
- 1987. Evolution of diadromy in fishes. American Fisheries Society Symposium 1:14–25.
- 1996. Alternative reproductive strategies and tactics: diversity within sexes. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:92–98.
- 1997. Game theory and inheritance in the conditional strategy. In L. A.Dugatkin, and H. K.Reeve, eds. Game Theory and Animal Behavior, pp. 168–187. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1998. Stability with inheritance in the conditional strategy. Journal of Theoretical Biology 192:445–453. , and .
- 1977. A gillnet fishery considered as an experiment in artificial selection. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 34:954–961. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. A century of life-history evolution in grayling. Genetica 112–113:475–491. , and .
- 1990. A polygenic model for the evolution and maintenance of conditional strategies. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 242:181–187. , , and .
- 1994. Genetic, environmental and interaction effects on the incidence of jacking in Oncorhynchus tshawytacha (chinook salmon). Heredity 72:146–154. , , , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982. .
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2002a. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 2002b. Reaction norm analysis of fisheries-induced adaptive change and the case of the Northeast Arctic cod. ICES CM 2002/Y:14. , , and .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring the rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 2004. Norms of reaction and phenotypic plasticity in salmonids life histories. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 154–174. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 1988. Mating success of alternative maturation phenotypes in male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Oecologia 75:169–174. , and .
- 1994. The evolution of alternative mating strategies in variable environments. Evolutionary Ecology 8:256–268. , and .
- 1993. Partial migration: niche shift versus sexual maturation in fishes. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 3:348–365. , and .
- 1990. Long-term changes in age at sexual maturity of Northeast Arctic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Journal du Conseil International pour l’Exploration de la Mer 46:235–248.
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Fishing in evolutionary waters. New Scientist 1758:35–37.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 2003. Évolution de l’anadromie et stratégie de reproduction chez l’omble de fontaine (Salvelinus fontinalis). PhD thesis, Université Laval, Québec, QC, Canada.
- 2004. Seasonal and ontogenetic patterns in the migration of anadromous brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:54–67. , , and .
- 2004. Interpreting the von Bertalanffy model of somatic growth in fishes: the cost of reproduction. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 271:1625–1631. , , and .
- 1999. Estimating genetic correlations in natural populations. Genetical Research 74:255–264.
- 2006. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole (Solea solea). ICES CM 2006/H:14. , , and .
- 2003. Early juvenile bioenergetic differences between anadromous and resident brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:401–410. , and .
- 2006. Does life-history variability in salmonids affect habitat use by juveniles? A comparison among streams open and closed to anadromy. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:693–704. , and .
- 2007. Distinguishing between juvenile anadromous and resident brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) using morphology. Environmental Biology of Fishes 81:171–184. , and .
- 1998. Effect of female size on fecundity and egg size in white-spotted charr: comparison between sea-run and resident forms. Journal of Fish Biology 53:1140–1142. , and .
- 2000. Extreme life history change of white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) after damming. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:1300–1306. , , and .
- 1986. Selection against parr maturation in Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 53:313–320. , and .
- 1986. Variation in male parr maturation within and among populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 43:1242–1248. , , and .
- 1983. Solution to the ‘Char Problem’ based on Artic char (Salvelinus alpinus) in Norway. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 40:1372–1387.
- 2005. Selection on heritable phenotypic plasticity in a wild bird population. Science 310:304–306. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , et al.
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , et al.
- 2004. Partial migration in a landlocked brown trout population. Journal of Fish Biology 65:106–121. , and .
- 2006. Environmentally induced migration: the importance of food. Ecology Letters 9:645–651. , , , and .
- 2004. Contribution of phenotypic plasticity and heredity to the trophic polymorphism of lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis M.). Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:503–522. , and .
- 2007. Directional selection by fisheries and the timing of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) migrations. Ecological Applications 17:731–739. , , , , and .
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:791–801. , and .
- 1995. Trends in the average size of Pacific salmon in Canadian catches. In R. J.Beamish, ed. Climate Change and Northern Fish Population, pp. 593–602. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 121, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 1994. Evolution of dimorphic traits: effect of directional selection on heritability. Heredity 72:36–41.
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Quarterly Review of Biology 71:3–35.
- 1979. Theory of Population Genetics and Evolutionary Ecology: An Introduction. Macmillan Publishing Co. Inc., New York.
- 2003. Generalized reaction norms for ecological developmental biology. Evolution and Development 5:106–115. , and .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24:35–68.
- 1992. Precocious maturation in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch): estimation of heritability. Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada 92:34–36. , and .
- 1996. Genetic basis of life history variation among sympatric morphs of Artic char, Salvelinus alpinus. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:1807–1813. , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic Diversity of Marine Fisheries Resources: Possible Impacts of Fishing. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No 344. FAO, Rome.
- 1992. Parr-smolt transformation of a nonanadromous population of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Norway. Canadian Journal of Zoology 70:197–199. , , and .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- 1990. Evolution and fisheries. Nature 344:814–815.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B – Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2001. Anadromie et résidence chez l’omble de fontaine (Salvelinus fontinalis): présence d’une stratégie conditionnelle basée sur la croissance? Master of Science thesis. Université Laval, Québec, QC, Canada.
- 2003. Body size and the adoption of a migratory tactic in brook charr. Journal of Fish Biology 63:1144–1159. , and .
- 2007a. Mating system and individual reproductive success of sympatric anadromous and resident brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis, under natural conditions. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 62:51–65. , , and .
- 2007b. Heritability of life history tactics and genetic correlation with body size in a natural population of brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:2266–2277. , , , and .
- 1986. Age at first maturity in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar: freshwater period influences and conflicts with smolting. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 89:7–14.
- 1998. Modeling the proximate basis of salmonid life-history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evolutionary Ecology 12:581–599. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic architecture of growth and early life-history transitions in anadromous and derived freshwater populations of steelhead. Journal of Fish Biology 65:286–307. , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1994. Genetic parameters and genotype × environment interaction for early sexual maturity in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 128:51–65. , , , and .