Evolutionary history of Pacific salmon in dynamic environments
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. No claim to original US government works
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 189–206, May 2008
How to Cite
Waples, R. S., Pess, G. R. and Beechie, T. (2008), Evolutionary history of Pacific salmon in dynamic environments. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 189–206. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00023.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 9 November 2007 Accepted: 28 January 2008
- 1984. Tetraploidy and evolution of salmonid fishes. In B. J.Turner, ed. Evolutionary Genetics of Fishes, pp. 1–53. Plenum Press, New York. , and .
- 1996. Conservation and genetics of salmonid fishes. In J. C.Avise, and J. L.Hamrick, eds. Conservation Genetics: Case Histories from Nature, pp. 238–280. Chapman and Hall, New York. , and .
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications 1:342–355. , , , and .
- 1987. Intraspecific phylogeography: the mitochondrial DNA bridge between population genetics and systematics. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18:489–522. , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Population structure of coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in California. California Fish Game 78:88–104. , , , and .
- 1998. Plasticity of smolting in spring Chinook salmon: relation to growth and insulin-like growth factor-I. Journal of Fish Biology 53:808–826. , and .
- 2001. Empirical predictors of annual bed load travel distance, and implications for salmonid habitat restoration and protection. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 26:1025–1034.
- 1994. Estimating coho salmon rearing habitat and smolt production losses in a large river basin, and implications for restoration. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 14:797–811. , , and .
- 2001. Holocene and recent geomorphic processes, land use and salmonid habitat in two north Puget Sound river basins. In J. B.Dorava, D. R.Montgomery, F.Fitzpatrick, and B.Palcsak, eds. Geomorphic Processes and Riverine Habitat, Water Science and Application, Vol. 4, pp. 37–54. American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, USA. , , and .
- Beechie, T. J., E. A.Steel, P. R.Roni, and E.Quimby, eds. 2003. Ecosystem Recovery Planning for Listed Salmon: an Integrated Assessment Approach for Salmon Habitat. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-58, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- 2006. Hydrologic regime and the conservation of salmon life history diversity. Biological Conservation 130:560–572. , , , , and .
- 1992. Native Trout of Western North America. American Fisheries Society Monographs 6, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- 1997a. Stochastic forcing of sediment supply to channel networks from landsliding and debris flow. Water Resources Research 33:2865–2880. , and .
- 1997b. Stochastic forcing of sediment routing and storage in channel networks. Water Resources Research 33:2849–2863. , and .
- 2003. In Search of Ancient Oregon: A Geological and Natural History. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 1997. Urbanization of aquatic systems: degradation thresholds, stormwater detention, and the limits of mitigation. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 22:1–19. , and .
- 2003a. The Cordilleran ice sheet. In A. R.Gillespie, S. C.Porter, and B. F.Atwater, eds. The Quaternary Period in the United States, pp. 17–43. Elsevier, New York, USA. , , , and .
- 2003b. The geology of Puget Sound rivers. In D.Montgomery, S.Bolton, and L.Wall, eds. Restoration of Puget Sound Rivers, pp. 14–45. University of Washington Press, Seattle, USA. , , and .
- 2005. Salmon at River’s End: The Role of the Estuary in the Decline and Recovery of Columbia River Salmon. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo., NMFS-NWFSC-68, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle, Washington, USA. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Late Cenezoic exhumation of the Cascadia accretionary wedge in the Olympic Mountains, northwest Washington State. Geological Society of America Bulletin 110:985–1009. , , and .
- 2004. Population structure of Columbia River basin Chinook salmon and steelhead trout. Reviews in Fishery Science 12:99–232. , , , and .
- 1923. The channeled scablands of the Columbia plateau. The Journal of Geology 31:617–649.
- 2007. Distribution of salmon-habitat potential relative to landscape characteristics and implications for conservation. Ecological Applications 17:66–80. , , , , , and .
- Busack, C., and J.Shaklee, eds. 1995. Genetic diversity units and major ancestral lineages of salmonid fishes in Washington. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Technical Report RAD 95-02.
- 1996. Status Review of West Coast Steelhead from Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-NWFSC-27. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Resource intensification and resource depression in the Pacific Northwest of North America: a zooarchaeological review. Journal of World Prehistory 18:327–405. , and .
- 2004. 9000 years of salmon fishing on the Columbia River, North America. Quaternary Research 62:1–8. , and .
- 2008. A review of fitness and its quantitative genetic components in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2005. Investigating the evolutionary history of the Pacific Northwest mesic forest ecosystem: hypothesis testing within a comparative phylogeographic framework. Evolution 59:1639–1652. , , , , and .
- 2006. Late Pleistocene outburst flooding from pluvial lake Alvord into the Owyhee River, Oregon. Geomorphology 75:346–367. , , , and .
- 1995. A plaeoscience approach to estimating the effects of climatic warming on salmonid fisheries of the Columbia River basin. In R. J.Beamish, ed. Climate Change and Northern Fish Populations, pp. 48–96. Canadian Special Publication, Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 121. , , , , and .
- 2002. Comparative phylogeography of the two pink salmon broodlines: an analysis based on mitochondrial DNA. Molecular Ecology 11:1077–1101. , and .
- 2001. Importance of archival and process studies to characterizing pre-settlement riverine geomorphic processes and habitat in the Puget lowland. In J. M.Dorava, D. R.Montgomery, B. B.Palcsak, and F. A.Fitzpatrick, eds. Geomorphic Processes and Riverine Habitat: Water and Science Application 4, pp. 227–243. American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, USA. , and .
- 2002. Historical changes in the distribution and functions of large wood in Puget Lowland rivers. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:66–76. , , and .
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2008. Potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:252–270. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Comparison of mainstem spawning habitats for two populations of fall Chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin. Regulated Rivers: Research and Management 16:345–361. , and .
- 1993. Sequence of sockeye salmon type 1 and 2 growth hormone genes and the relationship of rainbow trout with Atlantic and Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:1738–1748.
- 2008. Adaptive landscapes and density-dependent selection in salmonids: going beyond numerical responses to human disturbance. Evolutionary Applications 1:239–251. , , and .
- 2004. Social and environmental change at Hells Gate, British Columbia. Journal of Historical Geography 30:130–153.
- 2002. Connectivity, fragmentation, and extinction risk in dendritic metapopulations. Ecology 83:3243–3249.
- 2002. Fisheries productivity in the northeastern Pacific Ocean over the past 2,200 years. Nature 416:729–733. , , , and .
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 2001. The archaeological record of human impacts on animal populations. Journal of World Prehistory 15:1–68.
- 2005. Effects of environmental conditions during stream, estuary, and ocean residency on Chinook salmon return rates in the Skagit River, WA. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134:1562–1581. , , , , and .
- 1991. Pacific Salmon Life Histories. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver, BC, Canada. , and .
- 2007. Pacific salmon extinctions: quantifying lost and remaining diversity. Conservation Biology 21:1009–1020. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- Hendry, A. P., and S. C.Stearns, eds. 2004. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2004a. To sea or not to sea? Anadromy versus non-anadromy in salmonids. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 92–125. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , , and .
- 2004b. The evolution of philopatry and dispersal: homing versus straying in salmonids. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 52–91. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 1973. Indian fisheries productivity in pre-contact times in the Pacific Salmon area. Northwest Anthropological Research Notes 7:133–155.
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of Unites States of America, 100:6564–6568. , , , and .
- 1997. The Columbia River basalt province: current status. In J. J.Mahoney, and M. F.Coffin, eds. Large Igneous Provinces: Continental, Oceanic, and Planetary Flood Volcanism, pp. 1–27. Geophysical Monograph, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, USA.
- 1990. The effects of landslide dam-break floods on the morphology of channels (MS Thesis). College of Forest Resources, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- 1999. Extinction considerations for diadromous fishes. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:405–409. , , and .
- 2000. Recovery and management options for spring/summer Chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin. Science 290:977–979. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2008. Eco-evolutionary vs. habitat contributions to invasion in salmon: experimental evaluation in the wild. Molecular Ecology 17:406–414. , , and .
- 1995. Biennial report on the status of Wild Fish in Oregon. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Portland, OR, USA. (ed).
- 2001. Late Pleistocene, postp-Vashon, alpine glaciation of the Nooksack drainage, North Cascades, Washington. Geological Society of America Bulletin 113:274–288. , and .
- 1999. Field guide to Pleistocene lakes Thatcher and Bonneville and the Bonneville flood, southeastern Idaho. In S. S.Hughes, and G. D.Tahckray, eds. Guidebook to the Geology of Eastern Idaho, pp. 251–266. Idaho Museum of Natural History, Pocatello, Idaho, USA. , , and .
- 2001. Disturbance regimes and life-history evolution. The American Naturalist 157:525–536.
- 2004. Adaptation to natural flow regimes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:94–100. , and .
- 1968. The catastrophic late Pleistocene Bonneville flood in the Snake River plain, Idaho. US Geological Survey Professional Paper 596, UD Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2004. Natural climate insurance for Pacific northwest salmon and salmon fisheries: finding our way through the entangled bank. American Fisheries Society Symposium 43:127–140. , and .
- 2008a. Evolutionary consequences of habitat loss for Pacific anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:300–318. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Evolutionary effects of alternative artificial propagation programs: implications for the viability of endangered anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:356–375. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Accumulating evidence for a dispersal biogeography of southern cool temperate freshwater fishes. Journal of Biogeography 29:207–219.
- 1986. Zoogeography of the freshwater fishes of Cascadia (the Columbia system and rivers north to the Stikine). In C. H.Hocutt, and E. O.Wiley, eds. The Zoogeography of North American Freshwater Fishes, pp. 615–637. John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA. , and .
- 1987. Colonization and ecological development of new streams in Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska. Freshwater Biology 18:53–70.
- 2000. Coevolution of the Pacific salmon and Pacific Rim topography. Geology 28:1107–1110.
- 2002. Valley formation by fluvial and glacial erosion. Geology 30:1047–1050.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 1994. Biogeographic distribution of mitochondrial and nuclear markers for southern steelhead. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology 3:281–293. , , , , and .
- 2004. The evolving landscape of the Columbia River Gorge: Lewis and Clark and cataclysms on the Columbia. Oregon Historical Quarterly. Oregon Historical Society 105:390–420.
- 2003. Overview of geology, hydrology, geomorphology, and sediment budget of the Deschutes River basin, Oregon. In J. E.O’Connor, and G. E.Grant, eds. A Peculiar River: Geology and Geomorphology of the Deschutes River, Oregon, pp. 7–30. American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, USA. , , and .
- 1910. The glacial Lake Missoula. The Journal of Geology 18:376–396.
- 2005a. Evaluating fish response to culvert replacement and other methods for reconnecting isolated aquatic habitats. In P.Roni, ed. Methods for Monitoring Stream and Watershed Restoration, pp. 267–276. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , , and .
- 2005b. Monitoring floodplain restoration. In P.Roni, ed. Methods for Monitoring Stream and Watershed Restoration, pp. 127–166. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , , , and .
- 2003. Evidence of a late Holocene river avulsion. Quaternary Geology/Geomorphology (Posters) II: Landscape Processes and Histories Session 154, Poster 29. The Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, November 2–5, 2003, Seattle, WA, USA. , , and .
- 2007. Homogenization of regional river dynamics by dams and global biodiversity implications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:5732–5737. , , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific salmon and Trout. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, USA.
- 2000. Evolution of temporal isolation in the wild: genetic divergence in timing of migration and breeding by introduced Chinook salmon populations. Evolution 54:1372–1385. , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) populations in New Zealand: pattern, rate and process. Genetica 112-113:493–513. , , and .
- 2007. Directional selection by fisheries and the timing of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) migrations. Ecological Applications 17:731–739. , , , , and .
- 2003. Mitogenomics and the sister of the salmonidae. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:607–610. , , , and .
- 2002. Late Miocene exhumation and uplift of the Washington Cascade Range. Geology 30:767–770. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Genetic concepts and uncertainties in restoring fish populations and species. In R. C.Wissmar, and P. A.Bisson, eds. Strategies for Restoring River Ecosystems: Sources of Variability and Uncertainty in Natural and Managed Systems, pp. 149–183. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , , and .
- 1965. The Cordilleran ice sheet of the northern Rocky Mountains and related Quaternary history. In H. E.Wright, and D. G.Freye, eds. The Quarternary of the United States, pp. 231–242. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , , , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2006. Independent Populations of Chinook Salmon in Puget Sound. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo., NMFS-NWFSC-78, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle, Washington, USA. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. 2001 Skagit River wild 0+ Chinook production evaluation. Contract report to Seattle City Light, Report FPA 02-11. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, Washington, USA. , , and .
- 2006. Lost watersheds: barriers, aquatic habitat connectivity, and species persistence in the Willamette and Lower Columbia basins. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:1654–1669. , and .
- 1992. Introgression in fishes: significance for paleontology, cladistics, and evolutionary rates. Systematic Biology 41:41–57.
- 2006. Stratigraphic evidence for multiple drainings of glacial Lake Missoula along the Clark Fork River, Montana, USA. Quaternary Research 66:311–322.
- 2000. Fishes of the Mio-Pliocene Ringold formation, Washington: Pliocene capture of the Snake River by the Columbia River. University of Michigan Papers on Paleontology No. 32, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. , , and .
- 2007. Spawning sockeye salmon fossils in Pleistocene lake beds of Skokomish Valley, Washington. Quaternary Research 68:227–238. , , , and .
- 1992. Historical ecology of Salmoninae, with special reference to Oncorhynchus. In R. L.Mayden, ed. Systematics, Historical Ecology, and North American Freshwater Fishes, pp. 622–658. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA, USA.
- 1998. Magnitude and frequency of floods in Washington. USGS Water Resources Investigations Report 97-4277, Tacoma, WA, USA. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2004. Latest Pleistocene alpine glacier advances in the Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho, USA: reflections of midlatitude moisture transport at the close of the last glaciation. Geology 32:225–228. , , and .
- 2008. The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr. Evolutionary Applications 1:409–423. , , , , and .
- U.S. Water Resources Council. 1981. Guidelines for Determining Flood Flow Frequency: US. Water Resources Council Bulletin 17B, Washington DC, USA.
- 1971. Floods of December 1964 and January 1965 in the far western states – part 1. Description. US Geological Survey Water-Supply paper 1866-A. US Geological Survey, Washington, DC, USA. , , and .
- 1985. Periodic jökulhlaups from Pleistocene glacial Lake Missoula – new evidence from varved sediment in northern Idaho and Washington. Geological Society of America Bulletin 96:1271–1286.
- 1995. Evolutionarily significant units and the conservation of biological diversity under the Endangered Species Act. In J. L.Nielsen, ed. Evolution and the Aquatic Ecosystem: Defining Unique Units in Population Conservation, pp. 8–27. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, USA.
- 2006. Distinct population segments. In J. M.Scott, D. D.Goble, and F. W.Davis, eds. The Endangered Species Act at Thirty: Conserving Biodiversity in Human-dominated Landscapes, pp. 127–149. Island Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2001. Characterizing diversity in Pacific salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 59(Suppl. A):1–41. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Life history divergence in Chinook salmon: historic contingency and parallel evolution. Evolution 58:386–403. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary responses by native species to major anthropogenic changes to their ecosystems: Pacific salmon in the Columbia River hydropower system. Molecular Ecology 17:84–96. , , , and .
- 1995. Ecological connectivity in alluvial river ecosystems and its disruption by flow regulation. Regulated Rivers: Research and Management 11:105–119. , and .
- 1995. Status Review of Coho Salmon from Washington, Oregon, and California. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo., NMFS-NWFSC-24. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Potential for anthropogenic disturbances to influence evolutionary change in the life history of a threatened salmonid. Evolutionary Applications 1:271–285. , , , , and .
- 1996. Allozyme variability of Oncorhynchus nerka in the Pacific Northwest, with special consideration to populations of Redfish Lake, Idaho. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 125:645–663. , , and .
- 1995. Life history variation and population structure in sockeye salmon. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:195–216.