Both authors contributed equally to this work.
A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 222–238, May 2008
How to Cite
Carlson, S. M. and Seamons, T. R. (2008), A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 222–238. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00025.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 5 November 2007 Accepted: 5 February 2008
- 2008. Genetic responses to climate change: it’s seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17:157–166. , and .
- 2007. Ten years of varying lake level and selection on size-at-maturity in sockeye salmon. Ecology 88:2620–2629. , and .
- 2005. Environmental quality and evolutionary potential: lessons from wild populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 272:1415–1425. , and .
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution 59:1372–1382. , , , and .
- 2008. Potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:252–270. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. A comparative analysis of the rainbow trout genome with 2 other species of fish (Arctic charr and Atlantic salmon) within the tetraploid derivative Salmonidae family (subfamily: Salmoninae). Genome 48:1037–1051. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Heritability of life history and morphological traits in a wild pink salmon population assessed by DNA parentage analysis. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134:1323–1328. , , , and .
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. .
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294:151–154. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Prentice Hall, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2005. How to use molecular marker data to measure evolutionary parameters in wild populations. Molecular Ecology 14:1843–1859. , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 1975. Possibilities for genetic gain in salmonids. Aquaculture 6:23–29. .
- 2000. Genetic improvement of cold-water fish species. Aquaculture Research 31:25–33. .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 1995. Predicting microevolutionary responses to directional selection on heritable variation. Evolution 49:241–251. , and .
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296:707–711. , and .
- 2006. Evolution of character displacement in Darwin’s Finches. Science 313:224–226. , and .
- 1991. Pacific Salmon Life Histories. UBC Press, Vancouver, BC, Canada. , and , eds.
- 2007. Pacific salmon extinctions: quantifying lost and remaining diversity. Conservation Biology 21:1009–1020. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 2004. The evolution of philopatry and dispersal: homing versus straying in salmonids. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 52–91. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 1:20–29. , , and .
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:96–101. , and .
- 1979. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 6:65–70. .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204. .
- 2004. Norms of reaction and phenotypic plasticity in salmonid life histories. In: A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 154–174. Oxford University Press, New York. .
- 1998. Life history variation and growth rate thresholds for maturity in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55(Suppl. 1):22–47. , and .
- 2003. Methods of parentage analysis in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 12:2511–2523. , and .
- 1992. Migration pattern of two salmon stocks in the Baltic Sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science 49:191–198. , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The candidate gene, Clock, localizes to a strong spawning time quantitative trait locus region in rainbow trout. Journal of Heredity 97:74–80. , , and .
- 2000. Gene-centromere mapping of 312 loci in pink salmon by half-tetrad analysis. Genome 43:538–549. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland, MA, USA. , and .
- 2003. The genetic architecture of correlations among growth-related traits and male age at maturation in rainbow trout. Journal of Fish Biology 63:746–764. , , , , and .
- 2008. A genetic linkage map for coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Animal Genetics. 39:169–179. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of habitat loss for Pacific anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:300–318. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Studying phenotypic evolution using multivariate quantitative genetics. Molecular Ecology 15:883–896. .
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. American Naturalist 155:301–310. , and .
- 2001. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112-113:199–222. , , and .
- 2000. Colonization and development of stream communities across a 200-year gradient in Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska, U.S.A. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 57:2319–2335. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Climate-driven variability and trends in mountain snowpack in western North America. Journal of Climate 19:6209–6220.
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 2000. Quasireplication and the contract of error: Lessons from sex ratios, heritabilities and fluctuating asymmetry. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:441–480. .
- 1959. A concept of growth in fishes. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 16:721–745. , and .
- 1994. Geographical patterns of straying of fall chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) from Columbia River (U.S.A.) hatcheries. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management 25(Suppl. 2):17–30. , and .
- 1991. On the low heritability of life-history traits. Evolution 45:853–861. , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 1990. Pacific salmon migrations and homing: mechanisms and adaptive significance. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 5:174–177. , and .
- 2000. Evolution of temporal isolation in the wild: genetic divergence in timing of migration and breeding by introduced chinook salmon populations. Evolution 54:1372–1385. , , and .
- 2003. Genetic and plastic responses of northern mammals to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270:591–596. , , , and .
- 2005. QTL for body weight and condition factor in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): comparative analysis with rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus). Heredity 94:166–172. , , , , and .
- 1985. Costs of reproduction: an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44:257–267. .
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: An analysis of patterns. Evolution 50:1392–1403.
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY.
- 2007. DNA parentage analysis reveals inter-annual variation in selection: results from 19 consecutive brood years in steelhead trout. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:409–431. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic correlations, tradeoffs and environmental variation. Heredity 93:241–248. , and .
- 2002. Correlational selection and the evolution of genomic architecture. Heredity 89:329–338. , and .
- 2005. Changes towards earlier streamflow timing across western North America. Journal of Climate 18:1136–1155. , , and .
- 1993. Genetics for Fish Hatchery Managers, 2nd edn. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York. .
- 2007. Heritability of life-history tactics and genetic correlation with body size in a natural population of brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:2266–2277. , , , and .
- 2005. Implementing false discovery rate control: increasing your power. Oikos 108:643–647. , , and .
- 1996. Natural heritabilities: can they be reliably estimated in the laboratory? Evolution 50:2149–2157. , and .