Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 376–387, May 2008
How to Cite
Fukuwaka, M.-a. and Morita, K. (2008), Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 376–387. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00029.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2008
- Received: 5 November 2007 Accepted: 6 February 2008
- 1993. Pacific salmon production trends in relation to climate. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:1002–1016. , and .
- 1996. A review of size trends among North Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:455–465. , , and .
- 1990. How reliable are growth back-calculations based on otoliths? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 47:2219–2227.
- 2003. Endocrine changes during onset of puberty in male spring chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. Biology of Reproduction 69:2109–2117. , , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvested population are driven by a dynamics tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 104:15799–15804. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Catch trends and status of North Pacific salmon (NPAFC Doc. No. 723, Rev. 3). North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission, Vancouver. http://www.npafc.org . Accessed 1 April 2007. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses? Marine Ecology Progress Series 272:245–256. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2005. Trophic cascades in a formerly cod-dominated ecosystem. Science 308:1621–1623. , , , and .
- 1977. Pacific Salmon and the High Seas Salmon Fisheries of Japan (Processed Report). US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Northwest and Alaska Fisheries Center, Seattle. , , , and .
- 1998. Scale and otolith patterns prove growth history of Pacific salmon. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 1:190–198. .
- 1994. A back-calculation method for estimating individual growth of juvenile chum salmon by scale analysis. Scientific Reports of the Hokkaido Salmon Hatchery 48:1–9. , and .
- 2002. Early sea mortality of mark-recaptured juvenile chum salmon in open coastal waters. Journal of Fish Biology 60:3–12. , and .
- 2007. Trends in abundance and biological characteristics of chum salmon. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 4:35–43. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of female reproduction traits of farmed coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Aquaculture 234:143–154. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 1977. A gillnet fishery considered as an experiment in artificial selection. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 34:954–961. , , and .
- 1989. The Effect of International Treaty Changes on Japan’s High Seas Salmon Fisheries, with Emphasis on their Catches of North American Sockeye Salmon, 1972–1984. PhD Dissertation. University of Washington, Seattle.
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982. .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1998. Changes in size and age at maturity of two North American stocks of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) before and after a major regime shift in the North Pacific Ocean. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 1:81–89. , and .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 1998. Historical trends of salmon fisheries and stock conditions in Japan. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 1:23–27. .
- Hokkaido Salmon Hatchery (HSH). 19721997a. Jigyo seiseki-sho. Hokkaido Salmon Hatchery, Fisheries Agency of Japan, Sapporo.
- Hokkaido Salmon Hatchery (HSH). 19961997b. Database on Biological Assessment of Chum Salmon Populations in Japan 1994, 1995. Hokkaido Salmon Hatchery, Fisheries Agency of Japan, Sapporo.
- 2000. Collapse and recovery of marine fishes. Nature 406:882–885.
- 2005. Measuring marine fish biodiversity: temporal changes in abundance, life history and demography. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 260:315–338. , and .
- International North Pacific Fisheries Commission (INPFC). 19581996. Statistical Yearbook 1952–1992. International North Pacific Fisheries Commission, Vancouver.
- 1989. Stock identification of chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta from their maturity and scale characters. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 55:654–656. , , and .
- 1993. Recent changes in age and size of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) in the North Pacific Ocean and possible causes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:290–295. , , , , and .
- 1998. Seasonal growth patterns of Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) in offshore waters of the North Pacific Ocean. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 1:66–80. , , , and .
- 2005. Abundance of salmon carcasses at the upper reach of a fish trap. Ecological Research 20:87–93. , , and .
- 1998. Dynamics of chum salmon, Oncorhynchus keta, populations released from Hokkaido, Japan. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 1:90–102. .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668. .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:249–251. .
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models, 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, London. , and .
- 2005. Nonrandom, size- and timing-biased breeding in a hatchery population of steelhead trout. Conservation Biology 19:446–454. , , and .
- 2001. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112–113:199–222. , , and .
- 1999. Estimating the size-selection curves of towed gears, traps, nets and hooks. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 9:89–116. , and .
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60:1516–1521. , and .
- 2007. Why age and size at maturity have changed in Pacific salmon. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:289–294. , and .
- 2005. Rule of age and size at maturity of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta): implications of recent trends among Oncorhynchus spp. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2752–2759. , , , and .
- 2002. Opposite effects of ocean temperature on survival rates of 120 stocks of Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) in northern and southern areas. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:456–463. , , and .
- National Salmon Resources Center (NSRC). 19982004a. Gyomu houkoku-sho. National Salmon Resources Center, Sapporo.
- National Salmon Resources Center (NSRC). 19982004b. Database on Biological Assessment of Chum Salmon Populations in Japan, 1996–2003. National Salmon Resources Center, Sapporo.
- 1982. Genetic study on population structure in chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta). Bulletin of the Far Seas Fisheries Research Laboratory 19:25–116. .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 1962. Estimations of ocean mortality rates for Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus). Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 19:561–589.
- 1974. Atlas of catch and fishing effort, Japanese mothership salmon fishery, 1956–1970. International North Pacific Fisheries Commission Bulletin 30:81–107.
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna. http://www.R-project.org . Accessed 28 August 2007.
- 2001. Demographic and evolutionary responses to selective harvesting in populations with discrete generations. Ecology 82:3093–3104. , and .
- 1999. Genetic changes from artificial propagation of Pacific salmon affect the productivity and viability of supplemented populations. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:459–466. , and .
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:791–801. , and .
- 1964. Ocean growth and mortality of pink and chum salmon. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 21:905–931.
- 1976. Review of the rate of growth and mortality of Pacific salmon in salt water, and noncatch mortality caused by fishing. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 33:1483–1524. .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1995. Trends in the average size of Pacific salmon in Canadian catches. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 121:593–602.
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96:391–401.
- 1999. Simulated and observed response of the southwest Vancouver Island pelagic ecosystem to oceanic conditions in the 1990s. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:2433–2443. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary regime shifts in age and size at maturation of exploited fish stocks. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 273:1873–1880. , , and .
- 2004. Migration of Pacific rim chum salmon on the high seas: insight from genetic data. Environmental Biology of Fishes 69:21–36. , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic analysis of size in an anadromous population of pink salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51(Suppl. 1):9–15. , , , and .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Stokes, T. K., J. M.McGlade, and R.Law (eds). 1993. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. Bioscience 45:759–771.
- 2001. A migration model of Japanese chum salmon during early ocean life. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Technical Report 2:1–2. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1991. Genetic interactions between hatchery and wild salmonids: lessons from the Pacific Northwest. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48(Suppl. 1):124–133.
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries 24:12–21.
- 2001. Production. In G. A.Wedemeyer, ed. Fish Hatchery Management, 2nd edn, pp. 31–89. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda. .
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.