Changes in selection and evolutionary responses in migratory brown trout following the construction of a fish ladder
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 319–335, May 2008
How to Cite
Haugen, T. O., Aass, P., Stenseth, N. C. and Vøllestad, L. A. (2008), Changes in selection and evolutionary responses in migratory brown trout following the construction of a fish ladder. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 319–335. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00031.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 12 November 2007 Accepted: 3 February 2008
- 1999. The exploitation of a migrating brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) population; change of fishing methods due to river regulation. Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 15:211–219. , and .
- 1989. Effects of river regulation on the structure of a fast-growing brown trout (Salmo trutta) population. Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 3:256–266. , , and .
- 1996. Migratory behaviour of adult fast-growing brown trout (Salmo trutta, L) in relation to water flow in a regulated Norwegian river. Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 12:39–49. , and .
- 2007. Efforts to aid downstream migrating brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) kelts and smolts passing a hydroelectric dam and a spillway. Hydrobiologia 582:5–15 doi: 10.1007/s10750-10006-10547-10758. , , and
- 1978. Age and growth. In T.Bagenal, ed. Methods for Assessment of Fish Production in Fresh Waters. pp. 101–136. International Biological Programme Handbook no 3. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. , and .
- 2005. Effects of waterfall dimensions and light intensity on age-0 brook trout jumping performance. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134:496–502 doi: 10.1577/T03-175.1. , , , and .
- 1993. A theory for combined analysis of ring recovery and recapture data. In J.-D.Lebreton, and P. M.North, eds. Marked Individuals in the Study of Bird Populations, pp. 199–213. Birhäuser Verlag, Basen.
- 1998. Model Selection and Inferences. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521 doi: 510.1111/j.1461-0248.2007.01046.x. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and .
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature (London) 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Darwinian fishery science: lessons from the Atlantic silverside (Menidia menidia). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:730–737. , , , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of the impacts of Carlin tags, fin clips, and Panjet tattoos on juvenile Atlantic salmon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 26:163–169. , and .
- 1980. Ecology and evolution of migration. In S. A.Gauthreaux, ed. Animal Migration, Orientation, and Navigation, pp. 1–101. Academic Press, New York.
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvested population are driven by a dynamic tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:15799–15804 doi: /15710.11073/pnas.0705908104. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1995. A new, improved growth model for brown trout, Salmo trutta. Functional Ecology 9:290–298. , , and .
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296:707–711 doi: 710.1126/science.1070315. , and
- 2006. Genetic implications of reduced survival of male red deer Cervus elaphus under harvest. Wildlife Biology 12:427–441. , , and .
- 2001. A century of life-history evolution in grayling. Genetica 112/113:475–491. , and .
- 2007. Density dependence and density independence in the demography and dispersal of pike over four decades. Ecological Monographs 77:483–502. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2004a. To sea or not to sea? Anadromy versus non-anadromy in salmonids. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated. Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 92–125. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2004b. The evolution of philopatry and dispersal: Homing versus straying in salmonids. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated. Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 52–91. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2006. Possible human impacts of adaptive radiation: beak size bimodality in Darwin’s finches. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 273:1887–1894 doi: 1810.1098/rspb.2006.3534. , , , , , and
- 2007. The speed of ecological speciation. Functional Ecology 21:455–464 doi: 410.1111/j.1365-2435.2007.01240.x. , , and
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17: 20–29 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2007.03428.x , , and .
- ICES. 1984. Atlantic Salmon Scale Reading. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea, Aberdeen.
- 1995. Migration of a fast-growing population of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) through a fish ladder in relation to water flow and water temperature. Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 10:217–228. , and .
- 2001. Natural mortality and fishing mortality in a coastal cod population: A release-recapture experiment. Ecological Applications 11(2):540–558. , , , , , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: from rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica 112–113:145–164. , and .
- 2004. Spatial and temporal variation in the grilse proportion of Atlantic salmon in Norwegian rivers. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 113:743–761. , , and .
- 1978. Marking and tagging. In T.Bagenal, ed. Methods for Assessment of Fish Production in Fresh Waters. International Biological Programme Handbook no. 3. pp. 84–100. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. , and .
- 1992. Modelling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecological Monographs 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2007. Horn growth rate and longevity: implications for natural and artificial selection in thinhorne sheep (Ovis dalli). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:818–828 doi: 810.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01272.x. , , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature (London) 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA. .
- 2007. Directional selection by fisheries and the timing of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) migrations. Ecological Applications 17:731–739. , , , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York. .
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA.
- 1985. The vertical distribution of fish species in Lake Mjøsa, Norway, as shown by gill net catches and echo sounder. Report of the Institute of Freshwater Research Drottningholm 62:136–149. , , , and .
- 1991. Year-class fluctuations in vendace, Coregonus albula (Linnaeus): Who’s got the upper hand in intraspecific competition? Journal of Fish Biology 38:873–885. , , , and .
- 1975. The adaptive significance of variations in life history among local populations of Atlantic salmon in North America. Ecology 56:577–590. , and .
- 1992. Genetic population-structure of Norwegian brown trout. Journal of Fish Biology 41:631–646. .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford. .
- 1994. Animal Dispersal. Small Mammals as a Model. Chapman & Hall, London. , and .
- 1996. From Individual Behaviour to Population Ecology: Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 274:1010–1022 doi: 1010.1098/rspb.2006.0275. , , and
- 1993. Fish Swimming. Chapman & Hall, London. .
- 1991. Fish swimming stride by stride: speed limits and endurance. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 1:23–40. , and .
- 1990. Spline Models for Observational Data: CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics/Sponsored by Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences; Supported by National Science Foundation, v. 59. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA. .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing; impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148 doi: 110.1111/j.1461-1248.2005.00858.x. , , , and
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:120–139. , and .
- 2002. GAMs with integrated model selection using penalized regression splines and applications to environmental modelling. Ecological Modelling 157:157–177. , and .