Evolutionary effects of alternative artificial propagation programs: implications for viability of endangered anadromous salmonids
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. No claim to original US government works
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 356–375, May 2008
Total views since August 2010: 600
How to Cite
McClure, M. M., Utter, F. M., Baldwin, C., Carmichael, R. W., Hassemer, P. F., Howell, P. J., Spruell, P., Cooney, T. D., Schaller, H. A. and Petrosky, C. E. (2008), Evolutionary effects of alternative artificial propagation programs: implications for viability of endangered anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 356–375. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00034.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 12 November 2007 Accepted: 28 January 2008
- 1980. Loss of genetic variation in a hatchery stock of cutthroat trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 109:537–543. , and .
- 1979. Population genetics. In W. S.Hoar, D. J.Randall, and J. R.Brett, eds. Fish Physiology, pp. 407–454. Academic Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2001. The problems with hybrids: setting conservation guidelines. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:613–622. , , , and .
- 2007a. Reproductive success of captive-bred steelhead trout in the wild: evaluation of three hatchery programs in the Hood River. Conservation Biology 21:181–190. , , , , and .
- 2007b. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications 1:342–355. , , , and .
- 2001. Kinship analysis of Pacific salmon: insights into mating, homing, and timing of reproduction. Journal Of Heredity 92:127–136. , , , , and .
- 2004. Review of relative fitness of hatchery and natural salmon. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo., NMFS-NWFSC-61, 28 pp. , and .
- 2007. Micropropagation, seed propagation and germplasm bank of Mandevilla velutina (Mart.) Woodson. Scientia Agricola 64:263–268. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The controversy about salmon hatcheries. Fisheries 29:12–31. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Reintroduction of captive-bred African Grass-Owls Tyto capensis into natural habitat. Ostrich 78:75–79. , , and .
- 1995. Genetic risks and hazards in hatchery operations: fundamental concepts and issues. American Fisheries Society Symposium 15:71–80. , and .
- 1993. Hatchery Steelhead Smolt Predation of Wild and Natural Juvenile Chinook Salmon Fry in the Upper Salmon River, Idaho, pp. 42. Idaho Department of Fish and Game, Boise, ID.
- 1995. Status of supplementing chinook salmon natural production in the Imnaha River Basin. In J. H. L.Schramm, and R. G.Piper, eds. Uses and Effects of Cultured Fishes in Aquatic Ecosystems, pp. 284–291. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD. , and .
- 1992. Straying of hatchery origin spring chinook salmon and hatchery: wild composition of naturally spawning adults in the Grande Ronde Basin. In Salmon Management In the 21St Century: Recovering Stocks in decline: Proceedings of the 1992 Northwest Pacific Chinook and Coho Workshop, pp. 275–288. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD. , , and .
- 1995. Status of Spring Chinook Salmon in the Mid-Columbia River. Report Don Chapman Consultants, Boise. , , , , and .
- 1941. Time of appearance of the runs of salmon and steelhead trout native to the Wenatchee, Entiat, Methow and Okanogan Rivers. USDI Fish and Wildlife Service Rept. , and .
- 1997. Introgression and susceptibility to disease in a wild population of rainbow trout. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 17:1065–1078. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The economics of wildlife farming and endangered species conservation. Ecological Economics 62:461–472. , and .
- 1996. Pacific salmon homing: mechanisms and ecological basis. Journal of Experimental Biology 199:83–91. , and .
- 2007. Human Impacts on the Genetic Diversity of Pacific Salmon through Hatcheries and Harvest. University of Washington, Seattle, WA. .
- 2000. Ecological and behavioral impacts of artificial production strategies on the abundance of wild salmon populations. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo., NMFS-NWFSC-41, 92 pp. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A genetic survey of heavily exploited, endangered turtles: caveats on the conservation value of trade animals. Animal Conservation 10:452–460. , , , , and .
- 2001. Upper Columbia River steelhead and spring chinook salmon population structure and biological requirements. Document ID 4291. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/displayallinfo.cfm?documetadat. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Wild chinook management: an international conservation challenge. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 5:311–329. , and .
- 1997. The role of competition and predation in the decline of Pacific salmon and steelhead. In D. J.Stouder, P. A.Bisson, and R. J.Naiman, eds. Pacific Salmon and their Ecosystems, pp. 245–276. Chapman and Hall, New York. .
- 1993. A perspective on the adaptive importance of genetic infrastructure in salmon populations to ocean ranching in Alaska. Fisheries Research 18:45–58. , and .
- 2005. Behavioural and morphological variation between captive populations of red junglefowl (Gallus gallus) – possible implications for conservation. Biological Conservation 122:431–439. , and .
- 1992. Pacific salmon and artificial propagation under the Endangered Species Act. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-2. , , and .
- 2002. Salmon restoration in the Umatilla River: a study of straying and risk containment. Fisheries 27:10–19. , and .
- 2004. Evaluating reintroduction strategies for redfish lake sockeye salmon captive broodstock progeny. American Fisheries Society Symposium 44:401–413. , , , and .
- 1999. Condition dependence and adaptation-by-time: breeding date, life history, and energy allocation within a population of salmon. Oikos 85:499–514. , , and .
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of The National Academy of Sciences of The United States of America 100:6564–6568. , , , and .
- 2008. Run timing, spawn timing and spawning distribution of hatchery and natural spring Chinook salmon in the Imnaha River, Oregon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:148–164. , , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- Independent Scientific Advisory Board 2001. A review of salmon recovery strategies for the Columbia River Basin. ISAB 2001-7, http://www.nwppc.org/library/isab/isab2001-7.htm
- Independent Scientific Advisory Board 2003. Review of Salmon and Steelhead Supplementation. Report ISAB 2003-3, Northwest Power and Conservation Council. Portland, Oregon.
- Interior Columbia Technical Recovery Team 2003. Independent populations of chinook, steelhead, and sockeye for listed evolutionarily significant units within the interior Columbia River domain working draft report. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/trt/col_docs/independentpopchinsteelsock.pdf (accessed on 17 March 2008).
- Interior Columbia Technical Recovery Team 2005. Updated population delineation in the interior Columbia Basin. Memorandum to the National Marine Fisheries Service NW Regional Office and co-managers. May 11, 2005. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/trt/col_docs/updated_population_delineation.pdf (accessed on 17 March 2008).
- Interior Columbia Technical Recovery Team 2007a. Viability criteria for application to interior Columbia Basin salmonid. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/trt/trt_documents/ictrt_viability_criteria_reviewdraft_2007_complete.pdf (accessed on 17 March 2008).
- Interior Columbia Technical Recovery Team 2007b. Current status assessments of ESA-listed salmonid populations in the interior Columbia Basin. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/trt/col/trt_current_status_assessments.cfm (accessed on 17 March 2008).
- Interior Columbia Technical Recovery Team. 2007c Scenarios for MPG and ESU viability consistent with TRT viability criteria. Memo to recovery planners, dated January 7, 2007. http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/trt/trt_documents/attach2_viability_3_19_07.pdf (accessed on 17 March 2008).
- 2007. Remnants of ancient genetic diversity preserved within captive groups of scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah). Molecular Ecology 16:2436–2449. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Captive breeding promotes aggression in an endangered Mexican fish. Biological Conservation 133:169–177. , , and .
- 2006. Captive breeding and the fitness of reintroduced species: a test of the responses to predators in a threatened amphibian. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:360–365. , , , and .
- 2006. The role of controlled propagation on an endangered species: demographic effects of habitat heterogeneity among captive and native populations of the socorro isopod (Crustacea : Flabellifera). Biodiversity and Conservation 15:3909–3935. , , and .
- 1999. Salmon Without Rivers: A History of the Pacific Salmon Crisis. Island Press, Washington DC. .
- 2006. Wildlife conservation and animal temperament: causes and consequences of evolutionary change for captive, reintroduced, and wild populations. Animal Conservation 9:39–48. , , , and .
- 2000. Viable salmonid populations and the recovery of evolutionarily significant units. U.S. Dept. Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-NWFSC-42, pp. 156. , , , , and .
- 1981. Predation by yearling steelhead (Salmo gairdneri) released from Coleman National Fish Hatchery, on naturally produced chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tschawytscha) fry and eggs in Battle Creek, 1975. California Department Fish Game, Anadromous Fisheries Branch Office Report, Sacramento, 6 pp.
- 2005. Hatchery reform in Washington State: principles and emerging issues. Fisheries 30:11–23. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Physiological consequences of captive conditions in water voles (Arvicola terrestris). Journal of Zoology 271:19–26. , , , , and .
- 2004. Monitor and Evaluate the Genetic Characteristics of Supplemented Salmon and Steelhead” 1999–2003 Progress Report, Project No. 198909600, 42, electronic pages, (BPA Report DOE/BP-00015834-1). , and .
- 1992. Production and habitat of salmonids in mid-Columbia river tributary streams. US Fish and Wildlife Service Monograph I:1–489. , , , , and .
- 2005. Monitoring the reproductive success of naturally spawning hatchery and natural spring Chinook Salmon in the Wenatchee River. Report to the Department of Energy, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, Oregon, http://pisces.bpa.gov/release/documents/documentviewer.aspx?doc=00016575-1, (accessed on 17 March 2008). , , , , and .
- 2007. Monitoring the Reproductive Success of Naturally Spawning Hatchery Fish and Natural Spring Chinook Salmon in the Wenatchee River. Department of Energy, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, Oregon. Document ID#P102540. http://pisces.bpa.gov/release/documents/documentviewer.aspx?doc=p102540 (accessed on 17 March 2008). , , , , , and .
- 1998. Status review of chinook salmon from Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California. U.S. Dept. Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-NWFSC-35, pp. 443. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. An evaluation of the effects of conservation and fishery enhancement hatcheries on wild populations of salmon. Advances in Marine Biology 53:61–194. , , , , , , and .
- National Marine Fisheries Service 2004. Endangered and threatened species: proposed listing determinations for 27 ESUs of West coast salmonids; proposed rule. Federal Register Notice 69:33102–33179.
- National Marine Fisheries Service 2005a. Final listing determinations for 16 ESUs of West Coast Salmon, and Final 4(d) protective regulations for threatened salmonid ESUs. Federal Register Notice 70:37160–37204.
- National Marine Fisheries Service 2005b. Endangered and threatened species: recovery plan preparation for 16 evolutionarily significant units (ESUs) of Pacific salmon and steelhead. Federal Register Notice 70:39231–39232.
- National Marine Fisheries Service 2006. Endangered and threatened species: final listing determinations for 10 distinct population segments of West Coast steelhead; final rule. Federal Register Notice 71:834–862.
- National Marine Fisheries Service 2007. Endangered and threatened species; recovery plans. Federal Register Notice 72:29121–29126.
- National Research Council (NRC). 1996. Upstream: Salmon and Society in the Pacific Northwest. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, pp. 452.
- 2005. The effects of captivity on the morphology of captive, domesticated and feral mammals. Mammal Review 35:215–230. , and .
- 2006. Spiny lobster population enhancement: moderation of emergence behaviour of juvenile Jasus edwardsii reared in captivity. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 40:605–613. , , , and .
- 2004. An evaluation of fresh water recoveries of fish released from National Fish Hatcheries in the Columbia River Basin, and observations of straying. In Propagated Fish in Resource Management. pp. 87–98, American Fisheries Society Symposium 44. .
- 2007. The effects of hatchery domestication on competitive dominance of juvenile spring Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:803–812. , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- 1984. Homing and straying in chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) from Cowlitz River Hatchery, Washington. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 41:1078–1082. , and .
- 1991. Homing and straying patterns of fall chinook salmon in the Lower Columbia River. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 120(2):150–156. , , and .
- 2006. Effect of culture conditions on reproductive traits of brown trout Salmo trutta L. Bulletin Francais De La Peche Et De La Pisciculture 383:1–12. , , , , and .
- 1977. Genetic differences in growth and survival of juvenile hatchery and wild steelhead trout, Salmo gairdneri. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 34:123–138. , and .
- 1999. Genetic changes from artificial propagation of Pacific salmon affect the productivity and viability of supplemented populations. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:459–466. , and .
- 2003. Genetic concepts and uncertainties in restoring fish populations and species. In Strategies for Restoring River Ecosystems: Sources of Variability and Uncertainty in Natural and Managed Systems. pp. 149–183. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD. , , and .
- 2006. Population management of threatened taxa in captivity within their natural ranges: lessons from Andean bears (Tremarctos ornatus) in Venezuela. Biological Conservation 129:134–148. , and .
- 2007. On the horns of a dilemma: molecular approaches refine ex situ conservation in crisis. Molecular Ecology 16:2405–2406. , and .
- 2007. Lineage identification of galapagos tortoises in captivity worldwide. Animal Conservation 10:304–311. , , , , , , et al.
- 1970. A genetic analysis of recapture frequencies of released young of salmon (Salmo salar L.). Heriditas 65:159–160. .
- 1991. Effects of supportive breeding on the genetically effective population-size. Conservation Biology 5:325–329. , and .
- 1979. An evaluation of rearing fall-run chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, to yearlings at Feather River hatchery, with a comparison of returns from hatchery and downstream releases. California Fish and Game 64:239–255. , and .
- 2006. Reduced genetic diversity and significant genetic differentiation after translocation: comparison of the remnant and translocated populations of bridled nailtail wallabies (Onychogalea fraenata). Conservation Genetics 7:577–589.
- 1990. Supplementation of salmon and steelhead stocks with hatchery fish: a synthesis of published literature. Part 2. In , ed. Analysis of Salmon and Steelhead Sypplementation. Parts 1–3 Technical Report 90-1. US Department of Energy, BPA, Portland. http://pisces.bpa.gov/release/documents/documentviewer.aspx?doc=92663-1 (accessed on 17 March 2008). , and .
- 2007. Can stock enhancement enhance stocks? Journal of Sea Research 57:104–113. , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2004. Linking wild and captive populations to maximize species persistence: optimal translocation strategies. Conservation Biology 18:1304–1314. , , , and .
- 2003. 2001 Upper Columbia River stock summary for sockeye, spring chinook, and summer chinook. In. A Technical Memo to “Distribution List”, Dated January 15, 2003 from The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Wenatchee, Washington. .
- 2004. 2002 Upper Columbia River stock summary for sockeye, spring chinook, and summer chinook. A technical memo to “distribution list”, from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife dated August 31, 2004, Wenatchee, Washington. .
- 2007. Growth and survival trade-offs and outbreeding depression in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Evolution 61:1225–1237. , , and .
- Upper Columbia Salmon Recovery Board 2007. Upper Columbia spring chinook salmon and steelhead recovery plan. Prepared for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration National Marine
- 2001. Patterns of subspecific anthropogenic introgression in two salmonid genera. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 10:263–279.
- 2002. Marine aquaculture: genetic potentialities and pitfalls. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 12:59–77. , and .
- 1989. Genetic population structure of Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, in the Pacific Northwest. Fisheries Bulletin 85:13–23. , , , and .
- 1993. Genetic effects of aquaculture on natural salmonid populations. In K.Heen, R. L.Monahan, and F. M.Utter, eds. Salmon Aquaculture, pp. 144–165. Fishing News Books, Oxford. , , and .
- 1995. Genetic population structure and history of chinook salmon of the upper Columbia River. In J. L.Nielsen, ed. Evolution and the Aquatic Ecosystem: Defining Unique Units in Population Conservation. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:149–165. , , and .
- 2001. Salmonid inbreeding: a review. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 11:301–319. , , and .
- 1991. Pacific salmon, Oncorhynchus spp., and the definition of “species” under the Endangered Species Act. Marine Fisheries Review 53:11–22.
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries 24:12–21. .
- 1994. Genetic risk associated with supplementation of Pacific salmonids – Captive Broodstock Programs. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:310–329. and .
- 2004. Risk-benefit considerations for marine stock enhancement: a Pacific salmon perspective. Blackwell, Oxford. In K. M.Leber, ed. Stock Enhancement and Sea Ranching: Developments, Pitfalls and Opportunities, pp. 206–306. Blackwell, Oxford. , and .
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife 2005. Hatchery and genetic management plan for Upper Columbia River spring-run chinook salmon White River Supplementation Program. http://wdfw.wa.gov/hat/hgmp/pdf/snake_river/white_river_spck.pdf .
- 2005. Homogenization of fall-run chinook salmon gene pools in the Central Valley of California, USA. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25:992–1009. , and .
- 2007. A program for successful muskellunge management – a Minnesota success story. Environmental Biology of Fishes 79:163–169. , and .