Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. No claim to original US government works
Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 183–188, May 2008
How to Cite
Waples, R. S. and Hendry, A. P. (2008), Special Issue: Evolutionary perspectives on salmonid conservation and management. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 183–188. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00035.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received: 5 March 2008 Accepted: 5 March 2008
- 2008. Big dams and salmon evolution: changes in thermal regimes and their potential evolutionary consequences. Evolutionary Applications 1:286–299. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications 1:342–355. , , , and .
- 2007. Projected impacts of climate change on salmon habitat restoration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:6720–6725. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it’s seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17:157–166. , and .
- 2002. Habitat loss and extinction in the hotspots of biodiversity. Conservation Biology 16:909–923. , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment – a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49:151–163. , and .
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2008. Facing change: forms and foundations of contemporary adaptation to biotic invasions. Molecular Ecology 17:361–372.
- 2008. Evolutionary Conservation Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2004. Alien species and evolution. Island Press, London.
- 2008. Potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:252–270. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Adaptive landscapes and density-dependent selection in declining salmonid populations: going beyond numerical responses to human disturbance. Evolutionary Applications 1:239–251. , , and .
- 2004. Evolutionary Conservation Biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2002. Selection in captivity during supportive breeding may reduce fitness in the wild. Conservation Biology 16:815–825.
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 2007. Pacific salmon extinctions: quantifying lost and remaining diversity. Conservation Biology 21:1009–1020. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8:1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of chinook salmon life history under size-selective harvest. In A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated. Salmon and their Relatives, pp. 315–337. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Changes in selection and evolutionary responses in migratory brown trout following the construction of a fish ladder. Evolutionary Applications 1:319–335. , , , and .
- 2001. Adaptive divergence and the evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: an empirical demonstration using introduced sockeye salmon. Genetica 112–113:515–534.
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: evidence from introduced salmon. Science 290:516–518. , , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 2004. Wild Atlantic salmon in Europe: status and perspectives. In P.Gallaugher, and L.Wood, eds. The World Summit on Salmon, pp. 47–52. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC.
- 1991. Genetic effects of cultured fish on natural fish populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48:945–957. , , and .
- 1997. Population diversity: its extent and extinction. Science 278:689–692. , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2005. Canada's species at Risk Act: an opportunity to protect “endangered” salmon. Fisheries 30(12):11–19. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Extinction considerations for diadromous fishes. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:405–409. , , and .
- 2004. Evaluation of the biological interaction between wild and hatchery populations for sustainable fisheries and management of Pacific salmon. In K. M.Leber, S.Kitada, H. L.Blankenship, and T.Svåsand, eds. Stock Enhancement and Sea Ranching: Developments, Pitfalls and Opportunities, 2nd edn. pp. 247–259. Blackwell, Oxford. , and .
- 2000. Recovery and management options for spring/summer Chinook salmon in the Columbia River Basin. Science 290:977–979. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2001. Migratory costs and the evolution of egg size and number in introduced and indigenous salmon populations. Evolution 55:1656–1667. , , , and .
- 2003. Migratory costs and contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation in male chinook salmon. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16:1257–1269. , , and .
- 2008. Eco-evolutionary versus habitat contributions to invasion in salmon: experimental evaluation in the wild. Molecular Ecology 17:405–414. , , and .
- 2006. Global warming and extinctions of endemic species from biodiversity hotspots. Conservation Biology 20:538–548. , , , , and .
- 2003. A large-scale, multispecies status assessment: anadromous salmonids in the Columbia River Basin. Ecological Applications 13:964–989. , , , and .
- 2008a. Evolutionary consequences of habitat loss for Pacific anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:300–318. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Evolutionary effects of alternative artificial propagation programs: implications for the viability of endangered anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:356–375. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Rapid natural selection for resistance to an introduced parasite of rainbow trout. Evolutionary Applications 1:336–341. , and .
- 2005. Invasive Alien Species: A New Synthesis. Island Press, New York. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Pacific salmon at the crossroads – stocks at risk from California, Oregon, Idaho, and Washington. Fisheries 16:4–21. , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Why aren’t there more Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55(Suppl. 1):281–287. , , , , and .
- 1996. Environmental changes affecting the migratory timing of American shad and sockeye salmon. Ecology 77:1151–1162. , and .
- 2001. Evolution of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) populations in New Zealand: pattern rate, and process. Genetica 112–113:493–513. , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112–113:183–198. , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2006. Evolutionary regime shifts in age and size at maturation of exploited fish stocks. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Biological Sciences 273:1873–1880. , , and .
- 2002. Cryptic invasion by a non-native genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:2445–2449.
- 2005. Species Invasions: Insights into Ecology, Evolution, and Biogeography. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary change in human-altered environments. Molecular Ecology 17:1–499. , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 2008. The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr. Evolutionary Applications 1:409–423. , , , , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries 24:12–21.
- 2008. Evolutionary history of Pacific salmon in dynamic environments. Evolutionary Applications 1:189–206. , , and .
- 2008. Potential for anthropogenic disturbances to influence evolutionary change in the life history of a threatened salmonid. Evolutionary Applications 1:271–286. , , , , and .
- 2008. Recurrent evolution of life history ecotypes in sockeye salmon: implications for conservation and future evolution. Evolutionary Applications 1:207–221. , , , , and .