Male mating strategy and the introgression of a growth hormone transgene
Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 608–619, November 2008
How to Cite
Valosaari, K.-R., Aikio, S. and Kaitala, V. (2008), Male mating strategy and the introgression of a growth hormone transgene. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 608–619. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00046.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2008
- Received: 6 July 2007 Accepted: 1 August 2008
- 2008. Mating preference in the invasion of growth enhanced fish. Oikos 117:406–414. , , and .
- 2004. Influence of individual body size and variable thresholds on the incidence of a sneaker male reproductive tactic in Atlantic salmon. Evolution 58:136–144. , and .
- 2004. Altitudinal variation in the relationship between growth and maturation rate in salmon parr. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:253–260. , , , and .
- 1957. On the dynamics of exploited fish populations. Fisheries Investigations (Ser. 2) London 19:533. , and .
- 2004a. Population effects of growth hormone transgenic coho salmon depend on food availability and genotype by environment interactions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:9303–9308. , , , and .
- 2004b. Growth, viability and genetic characteristics of GH transgenic coho salmon strains. Aquaculture 236:607–632. , , and .
- 1992. Growth enhancement in transgenic Atlantic salmon by the use of an “all fish” chimeric growth hormone gene construct. Bio/Technology 10:176–181. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Genetic divergence ad interactions in the wild among native, farmed and hybrid Atlantic salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 50:634–651. , and .
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 1998. Pattern and variability in breeding system of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), with comparisons to other salmonids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:59–76.
- 2000. Lifetime success and interactions of farm salmon invading a native population. Proceedings of the Royal Society. Series B: Biological Sciences 267:1517–1523. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Gene transfer: potential to enhance the genome of Atlantic salmon for aquaculture. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 44:1095–1100. , , , , and .
- 2003. Alternative male life-history tactics as potential vehicles for speeding introgression of farm salmon traits into wild populations. Ecology Letters 6:541–549. , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of courtship and relative mate size on sexual motivation in Atlantic salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 57:502–515. , , and .
- 1991. Salmon breeding behaviour and life history evolution in changing environments. Ecology 72:1180–1186.
- 2007. Effects of growth hormone transgenes and welfare of aquacultured fishes: a review identifying research needs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 104:265–294. , , and .
- 2001a. Invasion of transgenes from salmon or other genetically modified organisms into natural populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:841–844.
- 2001b. Erratum: Invasion of transgenes from salmon or other genetically modified organisms into natural populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:2317.
- 2006. Genetic and ecological effects of salmon farming on wild salmon: modelling from experimental results. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:1234–1247. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic manipulations in aquaculture: a review of stock improvement by classical and modern technologies. Genetica 111:155–173.
- 1991. The threat of extinction to native populations experiencing spawning intrusions by cultured Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:119–132.
- 1998. Life history variation and growth rate threshold for maturity in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:22–47. , and .
- 1988. Mating success of alternative maturation phenotypes in male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Oecologia 75:169–174. , and .
- 1998. Rapid displacement of native species by invasive species: effects of hybridization. Biological Conservation 89:143–152.
- IUCN 2007. Available at: http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/19855/summ (last accessed August 2008).
- 2001. The influence of male parr body size and mate competition on fertilization success and effective population size in Atlantic salmon. Heredity 86:675–684. , and .
- 1999. Salmon on the edge. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:45–46.
- 2000. Transgenic fish: an evaluation of benefits and risks. Fish and Fisheries 1:146–172. , and .
- 2005. Genetic introgression on freshwater fish populations caused by restocking programmes. Biological Invasions 7:117–125. , , and .
- 1998. A framework for understanding Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) life history. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:48–58. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Genetic impact of farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) on native populations: use of DNA profiling to assess freshwater performance of wild, farmed, and hybrid progeny in a natural river environment. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:998–1008. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society. Series B: Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Ecology and Management of Atlantic Salmon. Chapman and Hall, University Press, Cambridge.
- 1996. Genetic assessment of the reproductive success of Atlantic salmon precocious parr by means of VNTR loci. Heredity 77:655–660. , , , and .
- 1999. Possible ecological risks of transgenic organism release when transgenes affect mating success: sexual selection and Trojan gene hypothesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:13853–13856. , and .
- 2001. Fitness components and ecological risk of transgenic release: a model using Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes). The American Naturalist 158:1–16. , and .
- 1987. Mating of anadromous Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., with mature male parr. Journal of Fish Biology 31:143–146. , and .
- 2007. Genetic consequences of interbreeding between farmed and wild Atlantic salmon: insight from the transcriptome. Molecular Ecology 17:314–324 , , , , and .
- 1982. Precocious sexual maturation and smoltification in male Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquatic Ecology 28:211–229. , , and .
- 1994. Effect of restricted feeding on early maturation in female and male amago salmon, Oncorhynchus mason ishikawae. Journal of Fish Biology 45:1133–1135. , and .
- 1997. Early maturity in amago salmon (Oncorhynchus masu ishikawai): an association with energy storage. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:444–451. , , and .
- 1998. Effects of growth and fatness on sexual development of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) parr. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:2376–2382. , , , and .
- 2004. Growth hormone transgenic pay of growth potential with increased predation mortality. Proceedings of he Royal Society. Series B: Biological Sciences 271:350–352. , , , and .
- 1997. Alternative reproductive tactics in Atlantic salmon: factors affecting mature parr success. Proceedings of the Royal Society. Series B: Biological Sciences 264:219–226. , , and .
- 2005. Population structure in the Atlantic salmon: insight from 40 years of research into genetic protein variation. Journal of Fish Biology 67:3–54. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Dominance relationships and behavioural correlates of individual spawning success in farmed and wild male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:1069–1079. , , , and .
- 2001. Predicting the risk of extinction through hybridization. Conservation Biology 15:1039–1053. , , and .