Exploring the origin and degree of genetic isolation of Anopheles gambiae from the islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, potential sites for testing transgenic-based vector control
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 631–644, November 2008
How to Cite
Marshall, J. C., Pinto, J., Charlwood, J. D., Gentile, G., Santolamazza, F., Simard, F., Della Torre, A., Donnelly, M. J. and Caccone, A. (2008), Exploring the origin and degree of genetic isolation of Anopheles gambiae from the islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, potential sites for testing transgenic-based vector control. Evolutionary Applications, 1: 631–644. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00048.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2008
- Received: 11 March 2008 Accepted: 27 August 2008
- 1983. Concerted evolution of multigene families. In M.Nei, and R. K.Kohn, eds. Evolution of Genes and Proteins, pp. 38–61. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2006. Population structure of the malaria vector Anopheles funestus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Madagascar and Comoros. Acta Tropica 97:292–300. , , , , and .
- 1996. Subsídio para a história do paludismo em S. Tomé. Acta Medicina Portugal 9:259–265.
- 2005. SINE insertion polymorphism on the X chromosome differentiates Anopheles gambiae molecular forms. Insect Molecular Biology 14:353–363. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Ribosomal DNA spacer genotypes of the Anopheles bancroftii group (Diptera: Culicidae) from Australia and Papua New Guinea. Insect Molecular Biology 10:407–413. , , , , and .
- 2003. Transposable element (TE) display and rapid detection of TE insertion polymorphisms in the Anopheles gambiae species complex. Insect Molecular Biology 12:211–216. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The first release of transgenic mosquitoes: an argument for the sterile insect technique. Trends in Parasitology 19:349–355. , and .
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of the white gene from Anopheles gambiae. Insect Molecular Biology 4:217–231. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Patterns of mitochondrial variation within and between African malaria vectors, Anopheles gambiae, suggests extensive gene flow. Genetics 147:1817–1828. , , , , , , and .
- 1982. Inversion polymorphism and incipient speciation in Anopheles gambiae s.s. in the Gambia, West Africa. Genetica 59:167–176. , , and .
- 2008. Distribution and chromosomal characterization of the Anopheles gambiae complex in Angola. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 78:169–175. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Preliminary data on the distribution of species and forms of the Anopheles gambiae complex (Diptera: Culicidae) at sites of Angola. Parassitologia 46(Suppl. 1):85. , , and .
- 2005. Transgenic mosquitoes and malaria transmission. Cellular Microbiology 7:325–333.
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Molecular Ecology 9:1657–1659. , , and .
- 1996. A review of the use of ribosomal DNA (rDNA) to differentiate among cryptic Anopheles species. Insect Molecular Biology 5:1–9. , and .
- 2000. Molecular entomology and prospects for malaria control. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 78:1412–1423. , , , and .
- 1982. Spatial distribution of chromosomal inversions and speciation in anopheline mosquitoes. In C.Bargozzi, ed. Mechanisms of Speciation, pp. 143–153. Alan R. Liss, New York.
- 1979. Chromosomal differentiation and adaptation to human environments in the Anopheles gambiae complex. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 73:483–497. , , , and .
- 1985. Chromosomal inversion intergradation and incipient speciation in Anopheles gambiae. Bollettino di Zoologia 52:45–63. , , and .
- 1993. Empirical tests of some predictions from coalescent theory with applications to intraspecific phylogeny construction. Genetics 134:959–969. , and .
- 2006. Malaria vectors in Angola: distribution of species and molecular forms of the Anopheles gambiae complex, their pyrethroid insecticide knockdown resistance (kdr) status and Plasmodium falciparum sporozoite rates. Malaria Journal 5:1–6. , , and .
- 2001. Molecular evidence of incipient speciation within Anopheles gambiae s.s. in West Africa. Insect Molecular Biology 10:9–18. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. On the distribution and genetic differentiation of Anopheles gambiae s.s. molecular forms. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 35:755–769. , , and .
- 2003. Kdr mutation, a genetic marker to assess event of introgression between the molecular M and S forms of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: culicidae) in the tropical savannah area of West Africa. Journal of Medical Entomology 40:195–198. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Evidence for recent population expansion in the evolutionary history of the Malaria vectors Anopheles arabiensis and Anopheles gambiae. Molecular Biology and Evolution 18:1353–1364. , , and .
- 2004. Revisiting the role of introgression vs. shared ancestral polymorphisms as key processes shaping genetic diversity in the recently separated sibling species of the Anopheles gambiae complex. Heredity 92:61–68. , , , , and .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32:1792–1979.
- 2002. PCR-RFLP methods for simultaneous detection of molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae s.s. and other species of the complex. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 16:461–464. , , and .
- 1997. Molecular identification of sympatric chromosomal forms of Anopheles gambiae and further evidence of their reproductive isolation. Insect Molecular Biology 6:377–383. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Population structure of an island malaria vector. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 20:393–401. , and .
- 2001. Attempts to molecularly distinguish cryptic taxa in Anopheles gambiae s.s. Insect Molecular Biology 10:25–32. , , , , and .
- 2002. Genetic differentiation in the African malaria vector, Anopheles gambiae s.s., and the problem of taxonomic status. Genetics 161:1561–1578. , , , and .
- 2004. Variation in an intron sequence of thee voltage-gated sodium channel gene correlates with genetic differentiation between Anopheles gambiae s.s. molecular forms. Insect Molecular Biology 13:371–377. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS2) sequences differentiate Anopheles funestus and An. rivulorum, and uncover a cryptic taxon. Insect Molecular Biology 9:369–374. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. A new statistic for detecting genetic differentiation. Genetics 155:2011–2014.
- 1992. A statistical test for detecting geographical subdivision. Molecular Biology and Evolution 9:138–151. , , and .
- 2002. Eradication of Anopheles gambiae from Brazil: lessons for malaria control in Africa? The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2:618–627. , , , , and .
- 2002. Statistical phylogeography. Molecular Ecology 11:2623–2635. , and .
- 2003. Pyrethroid resistance/susceptibility and differential urban/rural distribution of Anopheles arabiensis and An. gambiae s.s. malaria vectors in Nigeria and Ghana. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 17:326–332. , , , , and .
- 2003. Population structure of Anopheles gambiae in Africa. Journal of Heredity 94:133–147. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Invasions by insect vectors of human disease. Annual Review of Entomology 47:233–266.
- 2000. Transformations in Slavery, 2nd edn. Cambridge Press, Cambridge.
- 2001. rDNA-ITS2 polymerase chain reaction assay for sibling species of Anopheles fluviatilis. Acta Tropical 78:3–9. , , , , , and .
- 1946. Contribuição para o estudo do sezonismo em. S. Tomé. Boletim Geral das Colónias 22:13–66.
- 2004. Plague of my people. Nature 430:925.
- 1996. The tryptophan oxygenase gene of Anopheles gambiae. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 26:525–528. , , , , and .
- 2001. Patterns of DNA sequence variation in chromosomally recognized taxa of Anopheles gambiae evidence from rDNA and single-copy loci. Insect Molecular Biology 10:33–46. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Malaria: a reemerging disease in Arica. Emerging Infectious Diseases 4:398–403.
- 2008. Historical analysis of a near disaster: Anopheles gambiae in Brazil. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 78:176–178. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Malaria in São Tomé and Príncipe: parasite prevalences and vector densities. Acta Tropica 76:185–193. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Genetic structure of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae) in São Tomé and Príncipe (West Africa): implications for malaria control. Molecular Ecology 11:2183–2187. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. An island within an island: genetic differentiation of Anopheles gambiae in São Tomé, West Africa, and its relevance to malaria vector control. Heredity 91:407–414. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. GEODIS: a program for the cladistic nested analysis of the geographical distribution of genetic haplotypes. Molecular Ecology 9:487–488. , , and .
- 2005. An unusual distribution of the kdr gene among populations of Anopheles gambiae on the islands of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea. Insect Molecular Biology 14:683–688. , , , , and .
- 1990. Sobre os vectores da malária em São Tomé e Príncipe. Garcia de Horta Serie de Zoologia 15:135–152. , , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics, 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 1999. High amounts of genetic differentiation between populations of the malaria vector Anopheles arabiensis from West Africa and eastern islands. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 60:1000–1009. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Evidence for subdivision within the M molecular form of Anopheles gambiae s.s. Molecular Ecology 7:168–171. , , , , , , , , , and
- 1994. Sex-linked genes and species differences in Lepidoptera. The Canadian Entomologist 126:807–818.
- 2005. Sex-linked differentiation between incipient species of Anopheles gambiae. Genetics 169:1509–1519. , , , , and .
- 2000. Efficient genetic markers for population biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:199–203.
- 2002. PAUP*: Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony (* and Other Methods). Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1998. Nested clade analysis of phylogeographic data: testing hypotheses about gene flow and population history. Molecular Ecology 7:381–397.
- 2004. Statistical phylogeography: methods of evaluating and minimizing inference errors. Molecular Ecology 13:789–809.
- 1993. A cladistic analysis of phenotypic associations with haplotypes inferred from restriction endonuclease mapping. IV. Nested analysis with cladogram uncertainty and recombination. Genetics 134:659–669. , and .
- 1987. A cladistic analysis of phenotypic associations with haplotypes inferred from restriction endonuclease mapping. I. Basic theory and analysis of alcohol dehydrogenase activity in Drosophila. Genetics 117:343–351. , , and .
- 1995. Separating population structure from population history: a cladistic analysis of the geographical distribution of mitochondrial DNA haplotypes in the Tiger Salamander, Ambystoma tigrinum. Genetics 140:767–782. , , and .
- 1961. A Ilha de São Tomé. Memórias da Junta de Investigação do Ultramar 2ª série n° 24, Lisboa.
- 2000. Ribosomal DNA sequence markers differentiate two species of the Anopheles maculates (Diptera:Culicidae) complexes in the Philippines. Journal of Medical Entomology 37:933–937. , , and .
- 2001. DNA analysis of transferred sperm reveals significant levels of gene flow between molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae. Molecular Ecology 10:1725–1732. , , and .
- 2005. Genomic islands of speciation in Anopheles gambiae. PloS Biology 3:e285. , , and .
- 2000. The kdr mutation occurs in the Mopti form of Anopheles gambiae s.s. through introgression. Insect Molecular Biology 9:451–455. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Evidence for genetic differentiation between the molecular forms M and S within the Forest chromosomal form of Anopheles gambiae in an area of sympatry. Insect Molecular Biology 10:11–19. , , and .
- 2005. Species and populations of the Anopheles gambiae complex in Cameroon with special emphasis on chromosomal and molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae s.s. Journal of Medical Entomology 42:998–1005. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Species abundance and insecticide resistance of Anopheles gambiae in selected areas of Ghana and Burkina Faso. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 18:372–377. , , , and .